Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2JTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been looking into upgrading the stock stereo on my Brera, I have the standard CD player with Blue and Me. I've done some searching on the internet and on this site but hopefully my question is specific enough for a new thread.

For the past year I've been struggling with the local radio stations and with a USB plugged into Blue and Me which can apparently only handle 10 tracks.

I've found this Sony unit - XAV-AX100 - which has a double DIN front and a single DIN chassis (pictured), has anyone had any experience with this head unit? If the front fits the hole in the dash, this would be perfect as I wouldn't have to remove the original cage and move the blue and me box. If not I may have to resort to an FM transmitter :(

I've also considered the Navall one which is meant to be a straight swap but I'd rather get a recognised brand considering they are similarly priced

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Welcome to AO!

B&M doesn't have a 10 track limit, althought it was very picky about filenames and MP3 tags.
(There are old threads on resolving this.)

Radio issues could be the antenna or it's been switched to the non-European FM mode.

If you're changing the HU there's no reason you
can't fit a full double DIN and remove and delete
B&M from the car using one of the ECUscan packages.

·
Registered
2008 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2JTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome to AO!
Thanks!

B&M doesn't have a 10 track limit, althought it was very picky about filenames and MP3 tags.
(There are old threads on resolving this.)

Radio issues could be the antenna or it's been switched to the non-European FM mode.
Apologies, I was being funny, I've notice that with a larger amount of mp3 tracks the system shuffles the same few tracks.

And radio stations, I'm from London and since moving out I haven't been able to find a station that plays the type of music I enjoy lol

If you're changing the HU there's no reason you
can't fit a full double DIN and remove and delete
B&M from the car using one of the ECUscan packages.
I will have a look at the ECUscan as this could open up my options quite a bit.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
I used to run a Dension web radio USB in my 159.
It basically presented continuously updated streams of your TuneIn favourites as .mp3 files to Blue&Me.

Needed a 3G usb data dongle, but worked pretty well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed this exact system in my 159, and also have steering wheel functionality. The trickiest part was removing the air vents without damaging them. The USB cable was run into the arm rest cubbyhole space.
The stereo sounds good and I wouldn’t be without it. I use an iPhone and I’m waiting for iOS 12 so that I have the option of Waze and google maps.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello Dstj,
Looks great your install!

Couple of questions:
Does the Sony fit in the original cage, or did you replace it?
I assume you used a device in between the steering wheel controls and the Sony, right?
Does the phone answer button work on the steering wheel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bossanova
Yes! I used the original cage as it was proving difficult to get a good fit using after market cages. This meant I had to also move the blue and me to below the glove box as the extra wiring harnesses would not squeeze into the space behind the stereo.

There is a steering wheel control harness needed to get the control buttons to work.
Once fitted the Sony will automatically assign the button functionality however you can set up the button controls from the stereo (only 6 functions available).

As I remember it, yes you can assign a button to answer the phone, and I also believe this is done as part of the default settings however my habit is to answer from the screen as I would on my phone. I’ll check this out and update the post.

All of the bits needed were bought from eBay including the stereo. I’ll do a search and add the links below.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi DSTJ

Thx again!

Just 2 additional questions
-Can you still set the time and date of the car as well as reset the trip counters? That was done on the original headend.
- What is the small display behind the steeringwheel showing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts