Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
I may have the song name wrong, but wasn’t there a song called Lola or Lolita which made calling a baby Lola or Lolita a bit taboo at the time?
Well, I think the book Lolita probably achieved that. :D

The song Lola on the other hand was outrageous at the time because you could consider the lyrics to be talking about a transvestite. It's kind of the opposite of the ones I was talking about - in that it isn't controversial any more. Quite an interesting comparison in fact.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Are you saying that Dire Straits and Sweet have been guilty of abhorrent behaviour?
no no boss; read the thread from the beginning :) I wasn’t being specific about any artist; I wanted to open up a discussion about the tricky (moral?) ground of how we square a mega popular and talented person - across whatever field or discipline - with what we later learn about their behaviour. I think that’s a topic worth its own thread :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, I think the book Lolita probably achieved that. :D

The song Lola on the other hand was outrageous at the time because you could consider the lyrics to be talking about a transvestite. It's kind of the opposite of the ones I was talking about - in that it isn't controversial any more. Quite an interesting comparison in fact.
indeed. I remember the whohaa when Relax was launched (I was going to say ‘when Relax came out’, but there are so many Carry On jokes there, that I daren’t :))

here’s one to ponder. Do any songs shock any more? Is the public’s ear now so open to any lyrics, that nothing needs banning any more? When was the last time a song was banned? I remember it not being uncommon in the 80s and 90s... but in the modern era? I dont recall any.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Is it still too early to bring up 'I'm the leader of the gang (I am)'?

I heard a Glitter song used on a recent film soundtrack (although I can't remember the film, I think the song was Rock 'n' Roll part 2) which surprised me a lot. A bit of googling suggests that he hasn't sunk like a stone in quite the same way in the US as he has here - possibly because they haven't the faintest idea who he is.
Rock'n Roll part 2 is a fabulous tune.
It's extremely awkward that it was performed by such an unredeemable nonce, but the music is still great. (just that single tune - I don't think he was involved in anything else of merit).

(probably best not to mention Michael Jackson:eek:)

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
There is the big question of can you divorce the art from the artist.
I certainly can. Music is music, art is art.
If you delve deeply there might not be too many angels, if you choose art by the behaviour of the artists it might all be extremely bland.
A highbrow example is Vagner (I'm not a fan), who had anti-Semitic leanings and who's music was favoured by the Nazis,
but his music is appreciated and controversially performed by Jewish musicians- including Daniel Barenboim, in Israel despite efforts by the Israeli authorities to prevent this.

I love some of the music Michael Jackson was involved with, and nothing I could learn about his behaviour as a person could change my opinion about that music.

·
Registered
14,808 Posts
This......
...everyone should post links to the songs...
That's a great song.

I imagine that if you scrolled through the music on my phone you might be horrified by some of it. It's a very mixed bag taking in Oasis, Pulp, Johnny Cash, the Links, the Clash, Take That, Neil Diamond, Carrie Underwood, the Beatles, the Stones, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi. I have a playlist called old shite. I feel not one shred of guilt.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
More importantly, people need to indicate why they are suggesting that liking this song would be frowned upon. Because as with others suggested, I have to ask - what on earth is wrong with Mack the Knife?

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Also, I've remembered what film I heard the Glitter song in. It's Joker. So maybe not an accidental pick now I come to think about it. Just another element of the film intended to be unsettling?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
More importantly, people need to indicate why they are suggesting that liking this song would be frowned upon.
I think this is a good idea, but equally if it folks want to post without an explanation then go ahead 👍 I think some songs will probably talk for themselves 😁

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
What did make me feel very uncomfortable the other day was Money For Nothing - a song which I adore - coming up on Spotify. Except it was the full version (which I wasn't aware even existed) with a verse constantly referring to someone as a 'little faggot'. :(
Money For Nothing is written in the 3rd person depicting someone who is clearly not the nicest.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Saw the mighty Quo many times...the best gig I went too was probably about their fourth farewell gig! Was at Milton Keynes bowl and Prince Charles was in the crowd. The recording of that gig was issued in a limited edition of four vinyl albums in a blue round metal box...three greatest hits albums and the live one from the gig I was at. I still have that round blue tin!

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Money For Nothing is written in the 3rd person depicting someone who is clearly not the nicest.
Quite true. It still (by todays standards) maybe went a bit too far. I definitely prefer the version without that verse.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts