Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to call this ‘musical guilty pleasures’, but shut up; no one should ever feel guilty for the music or songs they like; it’s not an exam, not a test of taste, it’s bubble gum pop that works for your ears.

And while there maybe many musical legends we’re all expected to collectively and socially nod and fawn to (even if, hand on heart, you don’t really like them that much) there are some far less talented singers that - outside of that idealism, and just as crummy as they are - we just like.

You can plant your much loved unloved songs here.

To kick off, I’m going with these:

pure slush, but nice:

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
Is it still too early to bring up 'I'm the leader of the gang (I am)'?

I heard a Glitter song used on a recent film soundtrack (although I can't remember the film, I think the song was Rock 'n' Roll part 2) which surprised me a lot. A bit of googling suggests that he hasn't sunk like a stone in quite the same way in the US as he has here - possibly because they haven't the faintest idea who he is.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Ooh, where do I start? I like:

Wannabe - Spice Girls
Baby One More Time - Britney
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
High - Lighthouse Family
Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
Murder on the Dancefloor - Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Price Tag - Jessie J

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Bazza

It’s a tricky one, isn’t it? (Made easier for me because I’m not fussed on his music, so I can be unthinking and reach for the pitchfork :))

on Radio 2 the other day, in a moment of political incorrectness for them (and I bet someone was subsequently fired), they played a Jackson song (another artist who, despite his influence, I’m quite m’eh about - just never got the appeal, tbh).

more broadly speaking - and not just musically, but across the arts, politics and history etc - how do we square talent, influence and achievements with behaviour that is on many levels ghastly and abhorrent?

It’s an interesting discussion.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Wannabe - Spice Girls
Baby One More Time - Britney
High - Lighthouse Family
Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
Murder on the Dancefloor - Sophie Ellis-Bextor
Price Tag - Jessie J
I salute you PoPs! You have definitely entered into the spirit of this thread 👍

·
Vendor
45,772 Posts
@ Bazza

It’s a tricky one, isn’t it? (Made easier for me because I’m not fussed on his music, so I can be unthinking and reach for the pitchfork :))

on Radio 2 the other day, in a moment of political incorrectness for them (and I bet someone was subsequently fired), they played a Jackson song (another artist who, despite his influence, I’m quite m’eh about - just never got the appeal, tbh).

more broadly speaking - and not just musically, but across the arts, politics and history etc - how do we square talent, influence and achievements with behaviour that is on many levels ghastly and abhorrent?

It’s an interesting discussion.
Michael Jackson hasn't been cancelled has he?

Or at least, certainly not to the same level of Lostprophets or Rolf Harris.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Not sure, mate. It was a Jackson Five song rather than a Michael Jackson song; the likes of which I haven’t heard on the radio since that TV program aired (this is not judgement or criticism; just aloof observation)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, just to go back to that Suzanna song... it’s quite simple. Bloke’s desire for some nookie with his missus is thwarted by a call. In a way - and I’m not saying it’s on the same level as this - its sentiment (frustration/rejection), wrapped up in a jaunty tune, reminds me of Elvis and Return to Sender (and I love that song :))

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great topic this! Here goes;
.Sweet - Ball room blitz
.Beyoncé - who run the world, girls
.Dione Warwick- do you know the way to SanJose
. Grease is the word

just a few Bobby dazlers. Plenty more I’m keeping to myself. I have an image to protect you know!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an image to protect you know!
:) there is no shame in this thread so share away:)

for what it’s worth, I have zero interest in Americana, and I cannot stand musicals. But when Grease is on the telly, I’ll make a point of being there and singing along.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally with you on waterfalls :)

not sure I know of the others by name, but will probably recognise when listening to them :)

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
.Sweet - Ball room blitz

Woah. Hold up a minute. What on earth are these two true classics doing in a thread about songs you should be embarrassed to like?

Although it does bring to mind another angle which I will move on to in another post...

Indeed. For a start he was never found guilty of anything, although of course opinions differ about what and whether he did anything terrible. It's pretty clear he was a mixed up guy, but I'd like to think it was more about wanting to be a child himself that abuse children. I say I'd like to think that ... I don't know.

There is the big question of can you divorce the art from the artist. I do continue to listen to some Jackson songs - there's not that many I like, but some.

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
How about, rather than being frowned upon because it's cheesy pop, how many old rock songs there are which (presumably) were not intended to be very dubious in tone - but due to the way language use has changed, sound really dodgy now.
I'm talking about the heavy reliance on lyrics about 'little girls' and the like. Examples would be:

I mean "I always give it up for the touch of the younger kind". Blimey.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
Woah. Hold up a minute. What on earth are these two true classics doing in a thread about songs you should be embarrassed to like?
Seems we're not allowed to like Dire Straits, Genesis, Marillion etc. any more. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I wouldn't have included Ballroom Blitz, but perhaps hair metal is in the same category.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Although it does bring to mind another angle which I will move on to in another post...

Indeed. For a start he was never found guilty of anything, although of course opinions differ about what and whether he did anything terrible. It's pretty clear he was a mixed up guy, but I'd like to think it was more about wanting to be a child himself that abuse children. I say I'd like to think that ... I don't know.

There is the big question of can you divorce the art from the artist. I do continue to listen to some Jackson songs - there's not that many I like, but some.
echoed here, sir, in this very thread;

‘more broadly speaking - and not just musically, but across the arts, politics and history etc - how do we square talent, influence and achievements with behaviour that is on many levels ghastly and abhorrent?’

deffo worth a separate thread 👍

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
What did make me feel very uncomfortable the other day was Money For Nothing - a song which I adore - coming up on Spotify. Except it was the full version (which I wasn't aware even existed) with a verse constantly referring to someone as a 'little faggot'. :(

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I may have the song name wrong, but wasn’t there a song called Lola or Lolita which made calling a baby Lola or Lolita a bit taboo at the time?

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
echoed here, sir, in this very thread;

‘more broadly speaking - and not just musically, but across the arts, politics and history etc - how do we square talent, influence and achievements with behaviour that is on many levels ghastly and abhorrent?’
Are you saying that Dire Straits and Sweet have been guilty of abhorrent behaviour? I might be missing something.
EDIT: I was missing something. You were talking about the second half of my post, not the first. :)

I guess Paddy is suggesting the issue with Dire Straits is that they're 'dad rock'. But screw that. Young people's music is largely toss, so dad rock is a emblem of excellence, not something to be ashamed of! :D

And on that subject, as a middle aged rocker who isn't supposed to like anything by a band formed this century, I still think this song is excellent - and if you listen to it while watching the video as well, you'll be lucky not to be bawling like a child by the end.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts