Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Not a cover as such, but The Jam's 'Start' owes a hell of a lot to 'Taxman' by The Beatles.
But a hell of a song in its own right.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
A direct cover, and one of the greats from the early 80s:

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Creedence Clearwater Revival, Heard it Through the Grapevine:

Plenty of great versions of this song.. and it's not entirely clear who did "the original" except that it was definitely a Motown act.
So as you seem to be suggesting this is better than the original, which original do you mean?
I'm thinking probably Marvin Gaye's as this is the best known.
The first to be released was actually by Gladys Knight and the Pips, which is more uptempo and funky than Gaye's or CCR's version.
Apparently the first recording was by The Miracles, similar in arrangement, but less impressive - lacking the atmosphere of Gaye's version.

The Slits also did a version of this in the late 70s, which isn't bad, and gets more airtime than it deserves on BBC 6MUSIC.

I do like CCRs version a lot, but I can't say I think it's better than Marvin Gaye's or Gladys Night's version.
Maybe it's a three way tie :)

What about Proud Mary? ;)

CCR v Solomon Burke v Ike & Tina Turner??

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Plenty of great versions of this song.. and it's not entirely clear who did "the original" except that it was definitely a Motown act.
So as you seem to be suggesting this is better than the original, which original do you mean?
Let's just say it's the best I've heard! Just a group of musicians enjoying their art - I wonder how long after the fade-out they carried on playing?

What about Proud Mary? ;)

CCR v Solomon Burke v Ike & Tina Turner??
In this case, the original - or, not knowing the chronology of the various recordings, the writer's version!

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Let's just say it's the best I've heard! Just a group of musicians enjoying their art - I wonder how long after the fade-out they carried on playing?

In this case, the original - or, not knowing the chronology of the various recordings, the writer's version!
I really like CCR, but prefer Ike and Tina's version myself.
Ike has become a bit of a pariah with the airing of Tina's story. I make no attempt to defend him as a husband or as a human being, but he was a highly gifted and influential musician, before, during and after his collaboration with Tina.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
If you like CCR, you might like The Band too?

Here's Aretha covering one of their best known tunes. (Duane Allman crops up again on guitar)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
If you like CCR, you might like The Band too?

Here's Aretha covering one of their best known tunes. (Duane Allman crops up again on guitar)

Never heard that before, interesting but not a patch on the original, although the guitar is a nice touch. Aretha had a very harsh voice imo (yeah I know, hang me :))

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cover I heard first and preferred over subsequent original: Wild is the Wind (Bowie cover, Nina Simone original)
Why? Bowie sings his heart out. A proper love song sung proper.

Original I heard first but preferred subsequent cover: How Soon Is Now? (Tatu cover, Smiths original)
Why? Great voice punching through MPH inducing drive music. In fact 200 km/h in the Wrong Lane.
I like the original too, to be fair.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
"What Do You Want the Girl to Do" (Allen Toussaint who wrote and produced so many great songs recorded by others)
Best known version probably by Boz Scaggs, best version I think by Lowell George

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Never heard that before, interesting but not a patch on the original, although the guitar is a nice touch. Aretha had a very harsh voice imo (yeah I know, hang me :))
I agree the Band's version is better, so apologies for breaking "thread rules", but it's interesting to compare versions and Aretha with Duane has to be worth a listen :)

Apparently Robbie Robertson had the Staple Singers in mind when he wrote the song.
This is much closer to the Band's version, but still probably not quite as good.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Long intro but this is arguably better than the Stones. I like that it is such a different interpretation of an already great song.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Talking of CCR... a couple of decent covers of their songs;
Up around the bend - Hanoi Rocks
Run through the jungle - Georgia Satellites

41 - 60 of 81 Posts