Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11,516 Posts
Sacrilege I am sure to many - but I prefer "Heatwave" covered by The Jam than the original Martha and the Vandellas offering.

I love the original too, mind - but I just think it sounds better at the speed of delivery that the boys give it.

There. I've said it.
Fair enough.

Equally (or even more?) controversially, I would suggest that Springsteen could be in a similar category (although in a lower league, obviously :p) to Dylan.. in that my favourite versions of his tunes are always by someone else.
EG:

Fire:
Pointer Sisters
or
Robert Gordon
both better than Bruce

Blinded By The Light:
Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Because The Night:
Patti Smith

I expect I'll remember some others later...

It must be said, he did write some absolute belters.:)

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Fair enough.

Equally (or even more?) controversially, I would suggest that Springsteen could be in a similar category (although in a lower league, obviously :p) to Dylan.. in that my favourite versions of his tunes are always by someone else.
EG:

Fire:
Pointer Sisters
or
Robert Gordon
both better than Bruce

Blinded By The Light:
Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Because The Night:
Patti Smith

I expect I'll remember some others later...

It must be said, he did write some absolute belters.:)
[gritted_teeth] You could be right [/gritted_teeth]

But now you mention it - Springsteen's cover of Woody Guthrie's "This Land" is far better than the original.

As is Springsteen's live cover of Edwin Starr's "WAR! Huh! What is it good for etc etc"

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Actually sod the gritted_teeth politeness. The pointer sister's version of Fire is a travesty compared to maestro's hauntingly melodic original. And Fire done live by Bruce is a masterpiece.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Fire Live. It's just better.

And for those of us who have worshipped this band since the late 1970's - spare a thought for us having to see these guys look so old. It literally breaks my heart :-(

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
I prefer Lulu's version of Man Who Sold The World

Try Wilson Picket's version of Hey Jude (with the late great Duane Allman on sublime guitar)
:love:
Ok - Point 1 so I do believe that WP's cover of Hey Jude may indeed be better than the original (although I love The B's - this isn't one of my faves) so I will give you that one. Terrific last 30 seconds on it.

Point 2 - Lulu. Now she's a belter. I would say that Lulu's cover of Eddie Hinton's "Where's Eddie" is in my top 10 of all time songs.

In my teenage 1980 mind I even fabricated that Lulu's "Eddie" was the same "Eddie" that appears in Springsteen's heart rendingly beautiful "Meeting Across The River" lyrics.

Yes. I know. Whistful 6th form angst over music is such a cliche......

·
Vendor
45,943 Posts
So completely wrong on all counts:) (with the possible exception of the Manics, as the original wasn't much cop anyway) and as for Guns'n'Roses - don't get me started ! "Neyark Nyark nyarkin" my arse! :lol:
The 'like' was for Wilson Pickett, who is a legend. Can't agree with the GNR comments though, Axl absolutely owned that song.

·
Registered
37,870 Posts
Myles Kennedy and Slash Acoustic "Cover" of Sweet child O mine. Sort of a cover I suppose, but the vocals are far better than the original.

·
Registered
11,516 Posts
Aretha Franklin could be the anti-Dylan, as in she's such a great singer just about anything she covers is better than the original.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Valerie by Amy Winehouse is different and vastly superior to the Zuton’s original version

21 - 40 of 81 Posts