Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by the naff songs thread, a thread of “cool” songs that are better than the orginal versions.

eat your heart out Jimi (and Bob of course)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inspired by the naff songs thread, a thread of “cool” songs that are better than the orginal versions.

eat your heart out Jimi (and Bob of course)

I'm worried about you if you genuinely think that cacophony is better than the Hendrix version 😱 !
Given your user name I know I’m not going to win you over lol

I’ll try this cover of a Dubliner’s song next

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts

Foo Fighters with Brian May. Unfortunately the Foos have done another version since which is nowhere near as good, and it's quite hard to find this superior version in general.

Careful with Chris when you're disagreeing about which is the best version. I did recently and he described Louis Armstrong as 'mawkish' :eek: :D

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Bob Dylan must be a rich source of songs for this thread, because his writing was fantastic and his performance erratic. No-one's topped his own version of My Back Pages, but everyone has bettered his Don't Think Twice. Here's the wonderful Tedeschi Trucks Band.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Bob Dylan must be a rich source of songs for this thread, because his writing was fantastic and his performance erratic.
On a similar thread elsewhere, someone did state: Any Bob Dylan song which has ever been covered. :D

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Controversial one this....but I've always thought that Led Zeppelin were massively overrated...and I like many other rock bands of that era...just not them particularly!
So I think "The Far Corporations" version of "Stairway to heaven" is head and shoulders above Led Zeps insipid version!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob Dylan must be a rich source of songs for this thread, because his writing was fantastic and his performance erratic. No-one's topped his own version of My Back Pages, but everyone has bettered his Don't Think Twice. Here's the wonderful Tedeschi Trucks Band.

I fear disagreements may be rife on this thread! For me this is the definitive version and one of my all time favourite pop songs :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a similar thread elsewhere, someone did state: Any Bob Dylan song which has ever been covered. :D
Shame there’s not a “dislike” option o_O. I am a MASSIVE Dylan fan and most of the covers are inferior, except the Byrds who were the maestros of Dylan covers

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
I much prefer the Metallica version of Whiskey in the jar myself...

Other covers which are better than the originals IMO:

The man who sold the world : Nirvana
Knocking on Heavens door : Guns N Roses
Suicide is Painless : Manic Street preachers

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
And as a final nail in the coffin of 2020, in May Scudetto caused all out war within the AlfaOwner forum by starting the seemingly innocent "Songs you like that are better than the originals in your opinion" thread.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
I much prefer the Metallica version of Whiskey in the jar myself...

Other covers which are better than the originals IMO:

The man who sold the world : Nirvana
Knocking on Heavens door : Guns N Roses
Suicide is Painless : Manic Street preachers
So completely wrong on all counts:) (with the possible exception of the Manics, as the original wasn't much cop anyway) and as for Guns'n'Roses - don't get me started ! "Neyark Nyark nyarkin" my arse! :lol:
I prefer Lulu's version of Man Who Sold The World

Try Wilson Picket's version of Hey Jude (with the late great Duane Allman on sublime guitar)
:love:

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
And as a final nail in the coffin of 2020, in May Scudetto caused all out war within the AlfaOwner forum by starting the seemingly innocent "Songs you like that are better than the originals in your opinion" thread.
Oy, leave Scud alone! It woz Muz wot dunnit! (in my opinion 😉 )

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Sacrilege I am sure to many - but I prefer "Heatwave" covered by The Jam than the original Martha and the Vandellas offering.

I love the original too, mind - but I just think it sounds better at the speed of delivery that the boys give it.

There. I've said it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts