Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some things are better left unknown. When you're going to die, for instance. Might as well be a pleasant surprise if you make it to a thousand years old as a laser shooting robot or a head in a jar.

Another thing that's best left unknown is exactly how much you've spent on your car. But oh no, like a massive idiot, I had to go and work it out didn't I.

Best to look away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
But is the car in better condition now well maintained and serviced than when you bought it and in alfas defense
insurance and fuel costs are unavoidable as are servicing costs unless you just run it to death .

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But is the car in better condition now well maintained and serviced than when you bought it and in alfas defense
insurance and fuel costs are unavoidable as are servicing costs unless you just run it to death .
In some ways, yeah, it's in better condition - though I bought it from a dealer so it wasn't exactly scrap.

I honestly don't think it'd be much different if it was say a BMW and I was a fan of BMWs, thus keeping it in as good condition as possible. However it would be much less if I bought some £200 POS and ran it into the ground.

It's a lot to pay for the niceties though!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well sometimes it pays of to do it...
I did the same on my 156 a few months ago and found out that my spendings on repairs alone is above £ 9400 in 2011, so thats when i found out i was saving money buying a new Giulietta. Have to say though that the 156 is up to 385.000 km/239.000 Mi so its not without reason.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I feel for you mate. But you know the situation with my GTA and it's rather large costs so I'll keep quiet :lol:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel for you mate. But you know the situation with my GTA and it's rather large costs so I'll keep quiet :lol:
When I heard yours I thought it was shocking, but I can't help thinking I'm not so far off! In terms of total cost of motoring though, no chance - you win!
Why is your insurance that high! /nearly £2k for insurance seems really high.
27 with one year NCB and one year of having a license makes it a grand a year - just paid for the second year so those figures are a bit skewed, as are the ones for tax.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
When I heard yours I thought it was shocking, but I can't help thinking I'm not so far off! In terms of total cost of motoring though, no chance - you win!.
:lol: You're probably right. I think people don't realise how expensive even a JTS is to run. The JTD ain't no picnic either! :wall:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Am on the verge of spending more dosh on mine than I paid for it 4 years ago :lol:

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I had to spend quite a lot on my 147 Thrashbat, but there again I used to spend a fortune on new cars. You lose money on all cars anyway is the way to look at it. My last car (BMW 320 Coupe) had a shocking depreciation after just a year!

Lovely 156, btw :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
27 with one year NCB and one year of having a license makes it a grand a year.
Still too much.

I'm 26. When I was 21 I had a GTV 2.0 TS. I had had my licence since 18, but never my own car so 0 years NCB. My insurance was about £1270.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Don't worry about the money, all cars cost some. 5months after I had my first car (Rover 214) the head gasket went, then the garage lost the cylinder head! New rad and pipes and water pump at the same time, that was 2 weeks after a service and new brakes, fast forward 3 years and the "recon" head the garage "paid" for cracked, also needed a complete new exhaust. The list goes on. The ZR wasn't that bad, two years, 2 tyres, 2 services and 2 electric windows regs. But the JTS has not been to bad, just the cat dead after 3months of ownership, now that is expensive.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't worry about the money, all cars cost some. 5months after I had my first car (Rover 214) the head gasket went, then the garage lost the cylinder head! New rad and pipes and water pump at the same time, that was 2 weeks after a service and new brakes, fast forward 3 years and the "recon" head the garage "paid" for cracked, also needed a complete new exhaust. The list goes on. The ZR wasn't that bad, two years, 2 tyres, 2 services and 2 electric windows regs. But the JTS has not been to bad, just the cat dead after 3months of ownership, now that is expensive.
How's your car by the way? All sorted? Bit of a saga eh!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Got it back yesterday morning. Wasn't AL fault, I kept adding jobs to the list and there was a problem with the 1st set of replacement injectors. It doesn't have a fuel filter and was only 1/2 undersealed. Took a while, but like I said it wasn't AL fault.

Turned it on this morning (5degs) no misfire flat stops or hesitation, really smooth and drove fine, also is now saying 35mpg on info, use to sit around 32mpg but dropped to 29mpg. Still takes about 4miles to warm up, lurz said yours was doing that after the new rad. Most remember now to go the green pump and not the black one, as I had his JTD while mine was in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts