Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ours is well protected both at home and when out, thats about as much as I will say on a public forum.:vs_smile:

Reactions: Squadrone Rosso

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Best thing you can do is to make damn sure your insurance has got decent agreed value policy - as I keep saying if a pro wants your car he will have it whatever you do to try and stop him, its the opportunists that you need to look out for

·
Registered
146 Posts
I secured my garage sufficiently to tip the "risk/reward" ratio for any thief firmly in my favour, have got a good agreed value policy and, importantly don't leave the car on the drive to advertise where it lives.

What I do need to look at this year is security when it isn't at my house as currently, a wayward toddler with a screwdriver could probably get in and start it; they'd be defeated by the strength required to turn the wheel, but a relative could then be off in it!

I'm thinking about a hidden ignition master switch, as anything more may be too tempting for me to not use if I'm "only gone 5 minutes"...

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking about a hidden ignition master switch, as anything more may be too tempting for me to not use if I'm "only gone 5 minutes"...
The only problem with that is that with the uncomplicated nature of our cars, unless there is a steering lock involved, you dont need an ignition key to start the car. In fact, put a hidden switch in the ignition circuit and armed with a length of wire under the bonnet you can bypass that switch within seconds.

What you can do is to isolate the main cable feeding the starter motor, even then though the car could be bump started, but there would be no indicators, lights etc working.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
A fob based insurance approved immobiliser is great.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A fob based insurance approved immobiliser is great.
That might be OK with a newer classic with fuel injection like yours Simon, but old cars on carbs, its no better than a 'secret' switch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The only problem with that is that with the uncomplicated nature of our cars, unless there is a steering lock involved, you dont need an ignition key to start the car. In fact, put a hidden switch in the ignition circuit and armed with a length of wire under the bonnet you can bypass that switch within seconds.

What you can do is to isolate the main cable feeding the starter motor, even then though the car could be bump started, but there would be no indicators, lights etc working.
Good points. For out and about then, it sounds like it needs to be something like a steering wheel lock, or immobilisation through removing something vital like the King lead?

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
One of these will stop an opportunist, but not a pro, he'd have a spare key:

BATTERY ISOLATOR MASTER SWITCH - 2 KEYS - UNIVERSAL: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
That's what I fitted - apart from the security aspect - it is easily bypassed by someone who knows their stuff - its great for preventing battery drain and also safety when your working on the car
I have a particular dislike for after market immobilisers and alarms (unless fitted by a very reputable company) because I can remember back in the 80's the fad for fitting these and all the problems they generated
Apparently the police are recommending fitting old fashioned steering locks to expensive cars because the electronics can be beaten but its too much hassle to fight a secure lock

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
...the Maestro is obviously not an easy one to nick, just look at dear ol' Maggie in that article above trying to start it outside no.10...and she has the bloody key!
:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts