Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 12+ months of my 159 jtdm experience I am still happy to own an Alfa.
I have started looking for the replacement as mine is up to 79,600 miles and increasing. Beginning to think that a newer, lower mileage 159/Brera would make sense now.

Then I saw this:

2009 Alfa Romeo 159 2200 cc 2.2 JTS TI 4dr

So, the big question is, would I be an actual mental to go from 1.9 diesel running costs to 2.2 petrol costs?? I do around 18K-20K a year, a 50/50 mix of town/motorway.
The colour and spec is lovely. Really calling to me from all the way over the moors....
And I think the price looks pretty good as well.

So the big question, am I nuts for even thinking of this??!

I love the ownership experience to date, I just crave the petrol sound/feel again.
My 1.9 has been remapped, so the torque is lovely just now. Is the petrol experience going to hurt after diesel ownership?

Help........I feel a test drive coming on......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Should have bought my Ti last week... :p:headbang:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a serious consideration! I even showed the wife your threads, she liked the look and sound! But I really am hankering after the petrol feel again. Maybe a bug that finance won't allow me to itch, but its just there.
And running a V6 is out of the question, so is the 2.2 any more useable as an everyday car?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I guess you are right that you need to test drive it to make your mind up for sure. It looks the business and the price seems excellent – not sure if you would get an 09 JTDm in Ti spec for that money… personally I am addicted to the torque you get from the JTD engine and I feel I know that unit and how to drive it to it’s best as I’ve had 3 of them now, I would have exactly the same feeling as you if tempted to change back to a benzina. If it were me I would go and drive it and see how it feels. You do a lot of miles so would the extra fuel costs/lower mpg hurt you in the pocket? Mind you, that JTS has twin pipes.. that would probably clinch it for me :)

Good luck! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have had the same torment myself on several occasions and its a tricky decision, the only thing stopping me would be that i would like to go to the Tbi engine (well really a V6 but Mrs wont stand it) not the 2.2 and at the moment thats just not viable (especially having just changed the clutch/DMF!), my way round it was to look at a GTV with the 3.0V6 just for weekends etc.. but the clutch has eaten into the money for that too....:cry:

You should take a test drive:)

Just noticed its red.... i would check out the stone chips before you think about it too judging by the issues people seem to have with the red.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you drive the 2.4 diesel. I had a 1.9 diesel 147 before and always found it a bit too diesely for my liking (it was my first diesel after various 6 cylinder, turbo and supercharged petrol engines) but now I have the 2.4 159 I love it - it makes a decent sounds and love revving the nuts off it. The torque is also immense!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2.4 was my other option, the tbi is out of my price range for a while, ahhh, the choices.
Will drive this one I think. Take it from there.......(wallet shrinks in reaction....)

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have a ti 2.2 JTS and fuel consumption in similar driving to your own is 30 mpg at best.

In addition you need to test drive the car to see if it has the infamous hesitation issue.

If it does you need to price a remap into your sums. Mangoletsi or Autodelta have the solution. It'll cost about £300.

Overall, I think it is a fabulous car but like you I would like to test drive a TBi to see how it compares.

I know what you mean about diesels; I just can't stand the racket they make!

The car you are looking at looks like it was out of the same batch of pre-registered 159 tis as mine as the number plate is very similar to mine!

I would say it is a good buy as well but haggle hard!

G

·
0 Posts
I found the 2.2 ok on the motroway but pretty poor around town (not far off my 3.2)

Plus it will need a mod or two as it doesn't sound as it should

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for the input.
I am going to ring the garage later today, am a bit dubious they will be able to tell me anything else about the car as it is one of those supermarket jobbies.
Problem is I can't get over there until a week saturday, no doubt will be gone by then.

The differential between a simliar spec/mileage 2.2 and the 2.4 is huge! The 2.4s seem to be a lot dearer. The 1.9s are higher than the 2.2s as well. Am trying to work out if the price differential factors into the running costs......

G

·
0 Posts
I think that car has been on Autotrader a while now as I remember seeing it when I was looking for my 3.2

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need to drive it, then do the sums to see if it is doable. Maybe my thoughts on the petrol/diesel comparison are a little through rose tinted glasses!

But the price differential between the diesel and petrol Ti's is still a big temptation. Saving £1500-£2000 on the price of the car covers a lot of petrol in the running costs.

Need to do my sums really.

I am getting 500 miles plus per tank of diesel (full to light coming on). What do 2.2 owners get from a simliar tank full?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I can understand the urge for a petrol engine again. With our cars, while I am crazy about the 2.4 engine, the V6 is so smooth and responsive to say nothing about it's sound. What's even more crazy is I am not finding the V6 that much more thirsty around town than the 2.4 - honestly.

Take the 2.2 for a test drive. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

·
Registered
841 Posts
This car has been on autotrader for quite some time now so i wouldnt think its going anywhere. (3 or 4 2.2's of similar age and at much higher prices have come and gone via Alfa dealers while its been up for sale?) Judging by the number plate I would guess its an ex Alfa UK car sold at 1 year old. The question in my mind if thats the case is why hasnt it been sold to an Alfa dealer? You also need to ask about supermarkets infamous prep costs that can be 3 or 4 hundred pounds on sale price.
On the other question I have a 2.2 and the MPG is pretty poor for me (23MPG) But on a combined run you can eek it up to 30. I also have the mango mod 4 which makes it sound great. The TBI is faster but feels somehow sterile in comparison as they forgot to put in a decent exhaust noise - DOH!
You need to do the maths but your right that the difference in purchase price will cover a lot of fuel. For myself i love the 2.2 although it has its flaws it still makes me smile. I keep looking at a TBI but teh cost to change just doesnt seem worth it till they up it to 235 or even 260BHP.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ooohhhh.....

This one is tough on two fronts. In NZ (not much of a help!) diesel is for mugs, as although an Alfa diesel is definitely not a bad thing , a real Alfa is petrol powered. We have to pay diesel use K's, an arcane principle, but then again it makes much sense too. Then....there are no pollution charges in NZ, and this will remain true even though carbon trading is now a legal tax, mainly as NZ is a carbon sink - as is the West Midlands.

Alfa Petrol engines evolved to produce power with minimal emissions and extra-aordinary fuel economy. A quick squizz at the MOT's website indicates that, for the size of engine, and location (i.e. not in London) of your car, the benefit to you will be : No congestion charges. At all !

I do hope you'll buy this beast for another reason - she is MANUAL ! I cannot emphasise what a difference this makes to a car. With fuel prices on the increase (unless you convert the vehicle to a Yull Brown cell + tapped alternator + Martin's Hydrogen injectors - which I am working on right now - and ask me about it later), the gearbox and engine combination means that, litre for litre, you will get near equivalent fuel economy, and because the engine is proportionately lighter, a better ride.

Shame its not a 3.2 V6, but the 2.2 is a sprightly engine, plenty of grunt, and the noise is simply off the chart for yowl.

Go for it - wish I had the money to do the same !

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think that car has been on Autotrader a while now as I remember seeing it when I was looking for my 3.2
Have to agree with that - take a closer look at the leafless trees in the 3rd pic, indicating that this has been on sale for some time !

Got to be worth a cheeky offer as its a lovely looking motor :thumbs:

·
Registered
686 Posts
About 350-400.
Mine is slightly better 360-420 but I'm one for letting the torque do the work rather than rpm!

It is having its first service this Saturday so I don't know if that will improve the mpg at all.

I must admit I wince every time I fill up the fuel tank (approx £72) but diesel costs more of course!

As per the comments above I also think it is an ex Alfa Romeo car.

That's no bad thing though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts