Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, second thread here so I apologise if it is in the wrong spot.. but I thought i'd share with you all something that has very recently happened to me and ask some advice on repair.

Yesterday, while being parked a person managed to smash into my car while also hitting the parked subaru in front of mine. They managed to do a fair amount of damage to the front right hand side, and back drivers side wheel was ripped off - The passenger side back wheel is also bent in. They also managed to move my car up onto the gutter. :censored::censored: - I'll also add that the passenger side back door does not open and it takes a fair amount of force to open the drivers side.

I have had my Giulietta QV for not even 4 months bought new from the dealer when this happened. I'm really worried it that if it comes down to a repair that it will not drive to the same standard of as when I bought it which is a bit heartbreaking to me actually. Has anyone had any experience with Alfa repairs during an accident? (This is my first big incident, obviously not my fault) - i'm kind of hoping for a bit of peace of mind here. I know you guys are super knowledgeable.

Yesterday I was understanding and quite kind to the driver that totalled my car and surprisingly remained quite calm about the situation, but to be completely honest today I am a tad bit upset/angry about it all. It was my first Alfa Romeo and my first real car with a little bit of power. I was completely in love with it and the Alfa Romeo Legacy and brand and felt kinda special being part of the owners club. Even though it was supposed to be a 'boy racer' car - I was quite the proud female for having one of my own :D

Anyways, I thought i'd share it with some people that I know would understand my pain.. take a look at the photos if you dare..

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's some serious damage to the wheel(s), cosmetically I'm sure it can all be ironed out and brought back to the standard you had before, however I cannot verify how much damage was caused underneath and to the chassis, either way what ever the cost it will come out of the other parties insurance, if the work is carried out properly, it should drive the same I'm guessing but will need extensive testing, tracking e.t.c to sort out the buckled wheels.

Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's as I suspected - Thanks AlfaJoe. Is it awful to hope there is enough damage to warrant a complete write off? I know that insurance repairs have quite the dubious reputation to not be done well. But I am hoping that if it does come down to it that I am proven wrong.

R

·
0 Posts
That is some damage, very sorry for you.
All I can say is make sure you get it done by a reputable company and don't let the insurance company force you to go to their recommend repairers. I think there is a number you can ring at Alfa Romeo after an accident and they handle everything including dealing with your insurance and the repairs.

Good luck and hope it's sorted quickly

·
Registered
36,783 Posts
That's serious damage . I wouldn't want it back after repairs especially if I was you having only recently bought it new. Silver takes a bit of work to blend in beyond the actual repaired area even if the body can be sorted out and that's assuming it's possible. Sorry to see your situation.

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
If the passenger side door doesn't open then IMO there is a good chance the bodyshell is twisted.

I take it the car was sandwiched against the kerb on the passenger side?

I would be pushing for the insurance to write it off, so that you can get a replacement.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Pensioner?

·
Registered
774 Posts
That's quite a hit. I would agree with above comments re write off. I don't think I'd be happy having it back after that damage.

So sorry, I'd be seriously hacked off if it were me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Definitely phone the Alfa number in your handbook. They will get it looked at by an alfa approved repairer. I would push for a write off.

·
Registered
339 Posts
That is a real shame and like others have said I hope it is a write off, you just couldn't drive it again knowing what's been done to it. Good luck op.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As others have said I hope your insurance writes it off. A few years back similar thing happened to my daughters Corsa while it was parked someone skidded on ice hit the side and slammed in into the kerb. It was repaired but went back and forth to the repairers nothing wrong bodywise but damage had been done to suspension and wheel bearing etc. It was less than 2 years old was soon traded in for another car. She lost a lot of money through no fault of her own.The irony of it all is that it was an Alfa that crashed into it.
Good Luck

·
Registered
36,783 Posts
My nearest experience was with a car rolling very slowly along the side of my wife's nearly new A3 and the car was never the same again needing loads of return visits to the repairer ending in me giving up as decided we had to live with it. A year later I noticed the paint was reacting and restarted my campaign with the insurer who eventually bought the car so I could buy a new one and start again. I only achieved this by luckily getting through to the CEO of the insurer who understood the situation and asked me how much I'd like for the car. And the original damage was pretty minor although the full length of the side.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey guys, second thread here so I apologise if it is in the wrong spot.. but I thought i'd share with you all something that has very recently happened to me and ask some advice on repair.

Yesterday, while being parked a person managed to smash into my car while also hitting the parked subaru in front of mine. They managed to do a fair amount of damage to the front right hand side, and back drivers side wheel was ripped off - The passenger side back wheel is also bent in. They also managed to move my car up onto the gutter. :censored::censored: - I'll also add that the passenger side back door does not open and it takes a fair amount of force to open the drivers side.

I have had my Giulietta QV for not even 4 months bought new from the dealer when this happened. I'm really worried it that if it comes down to a repair that it will not drive to the same standard of as when I bought it which is a bit heartbreaking to me actually. Has anyone had any experience with Alfa repairs during an accident? (This is my first big incident, obviously not my fault) - i'm kind of hoping for a bit of peace of mind here. I know you guys are super knowledgeable.

Yesterday I was understanding and quite kind to the driver that totalled my car and surprisingly remained quite calm about the situation, but to be completely honest today I am a tad bit upset/angry about it all. It was my first Alfa Romeo and my first real car with a little bit of power. I was completely in love with it and the Alfa Romeo Legacy and brand and felt kinda special being part of the owners club. Even though it was supposed to be a 'boy racer' car - I was quite the proud female for having one of my own :D

Anyways, I thought i'd share it with some people that I know would understand my pain.. take a look at the photos if you dare..
Wow!.... really feel for you!.... I would be physically sick,if I returned to my car in that state!... Hope the insurance get you a new one!:furious:

·
Registered
302 Posts
If it is close to being a write off, you should be able to push for a replacement car instead of repair. Quite a few insurers will replace with brand new a car and source it for you, if your car is under 12 months old.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gutted for you.

Looks like the chassis is twisted, best case the door frames are bent.

The rear wheel sticking out means the suspension will have to be rebuilt and the whole thing re-jigged.

I think its a write off and I'd be pushing for it if they say it isn't.

Hope you have GAP, we had a 500 written off, but didn't have GAP, although we had another good deal on an Abarth to replace it, GAP would have been good!

Even so, if it is written off, I'm sure the dealer will be pleased to see you again and will hopefully give you a good deal

Best of luck to you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for your kind words and replies, i'll try to answer all the questions here. I will definitely be calling that number in the Alfa Romeo Hand book! - thanks for the reminder there.

Yep, the driver that hit me was a pensioner - apparently just didn't see my car there sitting at the side of the road parked along with the other car as they were driving along...:paranoid:

The car wasn't wedged into the gutter but it was hit with force that it was pushed up on to it.

I have gap cover thankfully! Actually, as much as I am gutted that makes me feel quite a bit better.

I can't believe how often these things happen to people. Reading all of your stories of other peoples negligence is completely eye opening.

I feel more confident in what I should expect and ask for now thanks to all of you! But i'll definitely be putting the vibes out in the universe for a complete write off! Fingers crossed!!:thumbup::thumbup:

I

·
0 Posts
That is some damage, very sorry for you.
All I can say is make sure you get it done by a reputable company and don't let the insurance company force you to go to their recommend repairers. I think there is a number you can ring at Alfa Romeo after an accident and they handle everything including dealing with your insurance and the repairs.

Good luck and hope it's sorted quickly
'Alfa Accident after care' Don't bother waste of time, they were handling by case and half way through outsourced the case to another company, Alfa did not even bother to tell me the company supposed to be handling the case worse company ever, they are not bothered about your car simply saving money for the insurance company's.

I ended up having to do all the work myself chasing garage etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
'Alfa Accident after care' Don't bother waste of time, they were handling by case and half way through outsourced the case to another company, Alfa did not even bother to tell me the company supposed to be handling the case worse company ever, they are not bothered about your car simply saving money for the insurance company's.

I ended up having to do all the work myself chasing garage etc.
Called them (I'm in Australia). It was after hours at the time though, and the person I spoke to said they only covered warrantable issues and road side assistance. I asked her about the Alfa Accident after care and they informed me that it just meant that if an insurance company/repairer needs parts etc for the specific car they work together to make that happen... so yeah not much help for me there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts