Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
If only there were a way to charge drivers for the actual amount they used their car and engine size; a method that did not snoop on drivers' whereabouts. A method where collection of such revenue did not cost any more to collect and ideally where there was already a system in place to achieve all of the foregoing.

I wonder if we could collect it through... no that would actually be too simple.

K

·
0 Posts
I worry about the people who run our country, regardless of what party they represent. Why would you even consider some massively complex system involving lots of IT, black boxes, roadside gantries, tolls and christ knows what else at a cost of billions when you could just stick a few pence on the price of a litre and effectively collect it for free?

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I read on PistonHeads that part of the justification for the European GPS - Gallileo satellites was this application so it would seem it's written in the stars.

Get people to pay for road usage proportion to what they use? Scrap road tax and put it on fuel duty. Think of the savings to be made in the DVLA didn't have to administer road tax.

I guess the infrastructure needed for tax discs would be nothing compared to the energy consuming stuff this will need?

It's to make up for the loss of revenue from fuel duty when we're all driving electric cars using electricity that's been made cleanly from the wind?

I'm one of those low mileage users that's paid £2500 over 6 years on tax and insurance running a car that cost me £350 to buy in 2006. It's obscene.

I think tracking the movements of entire populations is a bit dodgy. It's not the ecocony stupid, it's shoring up dodgy political projects like the single currency with European federalisation and watching everyone's waking and sleeping moments.

Can't these Bottom Inspectors get a job lot of mirrors from eBay?

·
Premium Member
77,348 Posts
I worry about the people who run our country, regardless of what party they represent. Why would you even consider some massively complex system involving lots of IT, black boxes, roadside gantries, tolls and christ knows what else at a cost of billions when you could just stick a few pence on the price of a litre and effectively collect it for free?
exactly why it won't happen

M

·
0 Posts
It's going to be political suicide for whoever is seen to introduce yet another tax on fuel. The opposition parties will howl as never before (well perhaps not never before) and the public at large will conveniently ignore the lack of having to apply for the disc.

There would be no lengthy tax refund process with associated admin costs, no long queues at the post office, zero costs in sending discs from dvla, no need for SORN unless the sorn system is transferred to MoT. An MoT disc could be displayed instead of the tax disc along with a current insurance disc. All too complex for any minister or governemnt dept. to take in and implement.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Whilst I would always encourage a policy where by you pay on how much you drive/how much fuel you use, all that ever happens is more tax as they just add it to what you already pay :(

I'm sure abolishing road fund license (which is utter nonsense) would be better if it was coupled with a litre of fuel.

We certainly do not need complicated IT tech which the sceptic in me believes would have other purposes.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If only there were a way to charge drivers for the actual amount they used their car and engine size; a method that did not snoop on drivers' whereabouts. A method where collection of such revenue did not cost any more to collect and ideally where there was already a system in place to achieve all of the foregoing.

I wonder if we could collect it through... no that would actually be too simple.
Yes .. actually that does exist already.... its called fuel duty and VAT.

We get charged on the amount of fuel consumed, which almost exactly relates to how much we use the car...

!

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Yes .. actually that does exist already.... its called fuel duty and VAT.

We get charged on the amount of fuel consumed, which almost exactly relates to how much we use the car...

!
Indeed and that simple we are already doing it ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts