Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

One concern though on an incline does a selespeed roll back or does it have in gear idling like torque converter in an automatic car.

Reason for me asking is I want to fit hand controls to the "right" 147 selespeed and one thing about it is that it's push for brake and pull for loud pedal.

One other thing does anybody have the exact height from the seat to the road just to check height.

I did speak to Kevin at AK components a few months back and he doesn't suggest a selespeed due to relyability.

Thank you for the effort in advance and any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Selespeed is actually just hydraulic arms controlling a normal clutch and manual transmission so it does roll back like a normal manual car.

With regards to reliability, it seems the newer 156's selespeed for some unknown reason is a lot more reliable than any 147's selespeed, so for reliability opt for 156 selespeed :thumbs:

Also in my experience a selespeed thats lived a well looked after and maintained life does not give problems, seen some going strong on 200 000km just because the fluid was changed with the correct type at intervals and kept topped up :)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you benzina.

The 156 would have been ideal but my bum has to be parralled to car seat and with the door not opening wide enough and the back pillar being to close transferring into the car is going to take allot more energy and time than that I want.

Can a Electronic E-brake or launch control be retrofitted?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Will using the handbrake when standing at a robot be a problem?
You can balance the car to stand still on an uphill with the throttle so it should be fine.
Most problems with the selles occur when some one tops it up with the wrong fluid which deteriorated the seals.
It is a robust system and if well looked after with a couple of wiring improvements they are reliable and actually a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will using the handbrake when standing at a robot be a problem?
You can balance the car to stand still on an uphill with the throttle so it should be fine.
Most problems with the selles occur when some one tops it up with the wrong fluid which deteriorated the seals.
It is a robust system and if well looked after with a couple of wiring improvements they are reliable and actually a pleasure to drive.
Thank you for putting my mind at rest a bit with the selespeed. Yes the thumb button thing with e-brake is going to be an issue.

I looked at this anybody have an idea or opinion about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-...8723QQ_trksidZp2992Q2em185QQitemZ190571698535

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
That should work to keep the pressure on the brakes even if its only on one wheel to keep the car standing still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts