Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so upset only had my delightful 159 3 weeks and already someone had had a bout of jealousy and set to it with an act of vandalism! Police can't do anything as no cctv on our street (probably the only street in britain by now i guess). They had scratched the drivers door and rear passenger door.

Gutted!

Truly Gutted!

·
Registered
252 Posts
[email protected] gutted for u mate..
MikeyW on here had some vandalism to his boot (well his missus scuffed with a chair!) and got it sorted so maybe he can help with recommendations of dentmaster and the like...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I thought people had more respect for an Alfa...... presumed that more likely to be the result of BMW ownership!

Really sorry for you, it grieves me to see it dirty never mind damaged.... theres only two tiny marks on mine, both the result of the Mrs..... hitting it with baby seat and using it for work, parked in hospital car park! Never again, she can get a taxi next time her cars broke!

If i caught someone doing that, it would be messy...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah messy doesn't describe it I'm not sure the local police man was too happy with my "choice" language this morning and my threat of renegade action should I find out the culprit but I think he saw where I was coming from. Does anyone have experience of chips away they are going to have a look at it tomorrow. They are in no rush it would seem!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Gutted for you. Like you, justice would be swift if I caught the person doing it! Chips away operate as a franchise based set up so quality can vary. Try to get someone who is known for doing a good job, even if it means a bit of a journey. Check with your dealer too as they use SMART repairers. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am really sorry to hear that. I would be gutted too if someone did that to my car. I hope you are able to get it repaired very soon. :cry:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I thought people had more respect for an Alfa......
I always wondered what prompts people to do this, and my conclusion is that:
1) they're kids who are in a "let's vandalise something"mood, hence not caring very much whether it's an Alfa, a Vauxhall or an Aston Martin

2) Adult lunatics who are plain jealous of your wheels and think that the best way to win their frustration is to cause you expensive and really mean damage (a slashed tyre would cost you less!).

3) Adults that have something personal against you (for a good or not reason), and will just do it because they're spineless cowards.

Anyway, whatever the reason, the result is the same :(
I'm actually worried that some day it could happen to me, and above all I am SERIOUSLY worried about what I would do if the POS who does it is unlucky enough to get caught by me.. I am really concerned I'd put myself in serious trouble..

Back to the original topic, how deep is the scratch mate? there have been several helpful hints around the forum on how to recover some bad scratches.

A.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your kind words and the theory, I've been to two garages so far one said 400 notes and the other will send an estimate but can't do it until end of November and chips away are gonna have a look tomorrow.

It really puts a damper on your spirit it's so effin pointless

and you are correct if you did ever find out who/why did this you would end up in more trouble than them, and you are best part of a weeks wages down

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alex the scratches are down to metal in places and are almost the length of each of the two doors affected

·
Registered
220 Posts
chips away should be cheaper than that, it's also worth trying Welcome to Car Medic, or call them on 08080 37 37 37 (it's free) their head office is local to me and I suggested them to a friend who was very impressed (more than £100 cheaper than his nearest quote) but I have never used them. They have guys nationwide.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Thanks for your kind words and the theory, I've been to two garages so far one said 400 notes and the other will send an estimate but can't do it until end of November and chips away are gonna have a look tomorrow.

It really puts a damper on your spirit it's so effin pointless

and you are correct if you did ever find out who/why did this you would end up in more trouble than them, and you are best part of a weeks wages down
As with everyone else, I'm really gutted for you. I don't want to put a downer on Chips Aways as I've had no personal experience of them - all I'll say is do a search on here because I remember reading some negative feedback quite recently about them. I guess an insurance claim is out of the question?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:rant:Insurance will cost me 200 notes vandalism excess and lose my ncb. Don't fancy insuring it next year with no discount. I'll do some more hunting around tomorrow and have a look at the halfords deal thing that's advertised inbetween top gear on Dave ! See what's what, not sure what's worse having it done or that I've only had it 3 weeks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
:rant:Insurance will cost me 200 notes vandalism excess and lose my ncb. Don't fancy insuring it next year with no discount. I'll do some more hunting around tomorrow and have a look at the halfords deal thing that's advertised inbetween top gear on Dave ! See what's what, not sure what's worse having it done or that I've only had it 3 weeks!
Fair comment - insurance claims only really work nowadays if your NCB is insured too.....As you say, even then they still cripple you with the excess. Horrible position to be in; last thing you want is a repair you're not 100% happy with. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I always wondered what prompts people to do this, and my conclusion is that:
1) they're kids who are in a "let's vandalise something"mood, hence not caring very much whether it's an Alfa, a Vauxhall or an Aston Martin
Definitely agree with this.
I've had a rather nice Alfa, an OK Peugeot 205, a shed Saab 900 and a shed Vauxhall Astra keyed over the years :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gutting.

Don't you just hate people.

When my 147 was just 6 weeks old I parked it near a mates house in a little village in near cambridge - apparently the entertainment for the local youth was "car running", ie running up your bonnet, over the roof and jumping off the back.

Result: Scratched up bonnet, scratched and dented roof, very angry Cheesemaster, very embarrassed friend.

1900 quids worth of repair work! Which I didn't bother claiming on the insurance as it was due for renewal and they told me a claim like this would put my premium up by 1200 quid!!! :wow:

In the last month I've had two people use the front end of my spider as their gauge when to stop reversing whilst parking outside my house (bloomin' on street parking :( ). Only minor little nicks on the plastic around the shield, but it just makes you so MAD!

Trouble is I daren't leave a nasty note on their cars for fear they are the type of person who would key it just to spite me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm leaving a note in my car asking the spineless sod who did it to speak to me personally if they have something against me. At this point they can claim their free ride in an ambulance and a weeks worth of puree food

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gutting.

Don't you just hate people.

When my 147 was just 6 weeks old I parked it near a mates house in a little village in near cambridge - apparently the entertainment for the local youth was "car running", ie running up your bonnet, over the roof and jumping off the back.

Result: Scratched up bonnet, scratched and dented roof, very angry Cheesemaster, very embarrassed friend.

1900 quids worth of repair work! Which I didn't bother claiming on the insurance as it was due for renewal and they told me a claim like this would put my premium up by 1200 quid!!! :wow:

In the last month I've had two people use the front end of my spider as their gauge when to stop reversing whilst parking outside my house (bloomin' on street parking :( ). Only minor little nicks on the plastic around the shield, but it just makes you so MAD!

Trouble is I daren't leave a nasty note on their cars for fear they are the type of person who would key it just to spite me.
Exactly the same thing happened to my missus! She parked her Honda Civic in front of her friend's house and some idiots thought of running on the cars along the road! The result was a smashed windshield and some scratches on the bonnet, she was really afraid that the glassroof would have broken too, but it fortunately didn't (that would have been an expensive and difficult replacement).

Now, as much as these wastes of human life think it's fun to do so, could I personally feel entitled to beat the holy **** outta them, because they damaged my car (that I bought and sweat at work everyday for!), and after having them to repay for the damage as well?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A great garage I know is going to do the whole offside of my car at his bodyshop for 300 quid and get a car for 2 or 3 days it's not a great courtesy car but better than nowt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts