Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st picture is of the light init atached to the conector block, I have a problem that the MAP READING light does not work.

Picture 2 is of the rear of the unit, I have tested the Lights to work and i also have power at the conector block so that isolates the issue to be at the light unit itself, The picture shows the metal tracers going from the map reading light bulb to the square spaded conectors but if you look cloesly the very top of the picture following the metal tracer from the bulb there is a nothing conecting it to number 1 square spaded conector Picture 3 shows same enlarged problem

when i tested the bulb it would ONLY work if conected near the bulb area it would NOT work if i conected it to spade number 1 becues there is no solid tracer between the bulb and spade number 1

does anyone have 5 min to help me with a picture it genuinly is only 2 min with flat head screwdriver to take a pic see if its the same i do apreciate somens help

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
OK I am going to try to guess what these pins do...

1 = Permanant 12V to both lights
2 = Switched ground when a door is open (switches on big light)
3 = Permanant ground for the manual buttons (and little bulb)
4 = Switched 12V supply little bulb (when headlights turned)

I could be completely wrong... my guess is... the buttons are designed to short those blobs of solder? Perhaps the little tab needs bending back into place.

Get out a voltmeter and see if the blobs of solder are electrically connected when the button is pressed.

Sorry but it's really cold outside... otherwise I'd unscrew mine.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Alfaandy your very kind i am confused though instead of enlightened

as your configuration that i am guessing works looks exactly the same as mine in terms of electrical tracer metal GGGRRRR

that top metal concetor does nothing goes no where conects to nothing its goes to bulb and then no where ???

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Give Autolusso a call and get a 2nd hand part, can't be more than a tenner delivered?!?

Or, meet up with some1 with a GTV/Spider local to you and swap dash lights and see if it makes any difference :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The bit of metal at the top of your picture has one of the switch pins soldered to it. The switch completes the circuit, connecting the bulb tip to the 12v supply.

I've found that the switches go open-circuit. They can be unsoldered and pulled apart but they're fiddly things. The guts are like a ballpoint pen mechanism - take apart on a table, not in the car ;) The tiny copper contacts need polishing, then it will work again once you get it back together. I've fixed three now.

-Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts