Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
just contacted the guy about the red one, i asked if it had the big brakes? he didnt know, and i also asked about the condition of the paint /body, he said there are two small rust spots on the front wings..................this is a common thing right?

this has kind of put me off getting a gta tbh, as i had a nightmare with my old RS rusting and dont want to go there again.

so is the rust a big problem?? how easy and ££ is it to fix the problem

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just contacted the guy about the red one, i asked if it had the big brakes? he didnt know, and i also asked about the condition of the paint /body, he said there are two small rust spots on the front wings..................this is a common thing right?

this has kind of put me off getting a gta tbh, as i had a nightmare with my old RS rusting and dont want to go there again.

so is the rust a big problem?? how easy and ££ is it to fix the problem

Although I don't yet have any experience of a GTA yet there is a thread regarding the rust problem at the top of the GTA page, 4th thread down!

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
The problem on the wings isnt too expensive if caught in time. Apart from that I dont think there is a problem with rust in general. The bodyshop bloke who did mine said that the wings were particularly thin, and these are about the only different panels compared to a standard 156 (along with the rear wings of course). As far as I know the standard 156 doesnt have particular rust issues.

As for the brakes, if he has managed on the 305mm discs this long I assume they are fine, so wouldnt worry to much about that.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The problem on the wings isnt too expensive if caught in time. Apart from that I dont think there is a problem with rust in general. The bodyshop bloke who did mine said that the wings were particularly thin, and these are about the only different panels compared to a standard 156 (along with the rear wings of course). As far as I know the standard 156 doesnt have particular rust issues.

As for the brakes, if he has managed on the 305mm discs this long I assume they are fine, so wouldnt worry to much about that.
the brakes arent a deal breaker, just wanted to know, he did say small bits of bubbling i think, so might not be to bad........cheers!

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
the brakes arent a deal breaker, just wanted to know, he did say small bits of bubbling i think, so might not be to bad........cheers!
Bodyshop bloke also said rusting wings arent that big an issue, they can be replaced. Its the more structural bits you have to be more wary of

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Bodyshop bloke also said rusting wings arent that big an issue, they can be replaced. Its the more structural bits you have to be more wary of
Wings aren't a big deal as you say but it needs to be cheap since you'll either have to replace them or weld up and repaint and then it'll probably come through again.

That could be just the start of things, I sold my GTA similar price and age last year, it had small brakes, wing was rusted right through, rust spots on roof, wheel bearing on way out, anti roll bar rattling around, need a new rad, a few marks on the bodywork small dents/faded paint etc, needed a new clutch, worn carpet, power steering pump on the way out, xenon levelling playing up, starter noisy overrunning. That said it drove straight and the engine was 100%.

The trouble with a cheap GTA is that often needs alot of money to bring it up to standard so although the traders ones are more expensive I wouldn't expect to find them with these problems, and by the time they are all sorted you've probably spent more than buying a good one in the first place.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Wings aren't a big deal as you say but it needs to be cheap since you'll either have to replace them or weld up and repaint and then it'll probably come through again.

That could be just the start of things, I sold my GTA similar price and age last year, it had small brakes, wing was rusted right through, rust spots on roof, wheel bearing on way out, anti roll bar rattling around, need a new rad, a few marks on the bodywork small dents/faded paint etc, needed a new clutch, worn carpet, power steering pump on the way out, xenon levelling playing up, starter noisy overrunning. That said it drove straight and the engine was 100%.

The trouble with a cheap GTA is that often needs alot of money to bring it up to standard so although the traders ones are more expensive I wouldn't expect to find them with these problems, and by the time they are all sorted you've probably spent more than buying a good one in the first place.
I'm glad someone else said this - it's normally me :) totally agree - cheap GTA's are normally cheap for a reason (and note I do say normally) as there have been one or two that have been sold cheap because they needed to be sold quickly or because the seller did not know the true value of what they had.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm actually thinking about selling mine shortly and i would appreciate a fair ballpark figure of what the car is worth according to some members of the "GTA pricewatch":lol:

Some details;
52 plate (10 months MOT and 4 months tax) saloon with 108k,
Nero metallico black with black and grey interior (drivers seat bolster is in remarkably good condition given the miles),
Fully stamped service book,
Radiator, Cambelt, tensioners and waterpump replaced 1year (10k) ago,
Gearbox oil and brake fluid also replaced 10k ago,
330mm brakes,
Clutch and Q2 replaced 2k ago (first clutch change for the car and Q2 for prevention),
Upper wishbone replaced for MOT
Resprayed bonnet (stone chips), front wings (rust spots and stone chips adressed), side skirts (stone chipped)......

Car will need a service this month........

So any ideas of a fair asking price?? (or maybe what someone would be happy to pay :p)
I will post pictures when the snow/rain eventually clears and she gets another coat of polish and wax

G

·
0 Posts
Personally, around six grand, but that's just me.
I'd feel that was reasonable. Mine is similar, has more mods (FSD, Eibachs, remap in addition to Q2 and new clutch altho no 330s) same age but 76K miles and I would want 7 to 7.5K if I were selling it (which I'm not). But at the end of the day, it's what someone will pay.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
i think i was lucky as i paid 5250, for mine less than a year ago, and nothing was needed apart from a little bodywork, miro red + heated seats + 6 cd changer, full alfa service history, new clutch new gearbox cambelt metal impeller all done, very happy. since then ive fitted koni fsds , eibach, pro-kit, which added on top still makes great value. i think fair prices i usually private sellers, traders are greedy buggers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i think fair prices i usually private sellers, traders are greedy buggers.
You're not joking. I bought a 159 - private - in November because certain traders (who shall remain nameless) weren't willing to negotiate on their hugely overpriced 156GTAs. None of these has sold yet, but I notice one has dropped by a grand since then and still hasn't sold. You'd think they'd learn...

Unfortunately some private sellers just look at Autotrader and price match. Really, who buys a car like this without doing their research first? They must think we're mugs!

I very nearly went for one private GTA in great condition and only slightly over book price, but was swayed by a newer, lower mileage machine instead. That and the fear I might kill myself in the GTA.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts