Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening gang,

Last Saturday, I collected my little 190E and brought it home, covering about 40 miles, during which it didn't put a foot wrong on country roads, A-roads, and the mother of all traffic jams.

Thanks to Mother Nature, its first few hours at home were a baptism of fire. I parked it up at about 1pm, and a few hours later it was covered in snow. And that's how it remained on Sunday. Unused and buried in snow and ice, in freezing temperatures.

Monday morning therefore had a heightened element of anxiety to it. Would it start? Would it die a death? Does it have the resilience to put up with a bit of bad weather? Am I about to kick myself for buying it? Only one way to find out. A deep breath, a quick 'please Lord...' and a turn of the key. And:

'burrrrrrrr'

It burst into life with a giggle; 'call that cold! P'ah!'. Ah, the relief! :) :thumbs:

The oil pressure gauge bolted right up to '3', the car stayed without hesitation on its cold start idle, dropping a few rpm as it warmed. While I was outside cleaning ice from the windows (and listening for any odd noises, clonks or strange rumbles from the engine), the heater inside was getting toasty, and the engine temp starting to rise without fuss.

This week, I've only driven 50 miles in it; every start has been a cold one (boo!), but I have to say it drives beautifully. There's something...hmm...eerie about how it sets off; it always sets off from rest in 2nd gear (old Mercs do that, for economy and I suspect to reduce traction loss), but the split second it starts moving it sort of glides off from rest. 'Acceleration' is the wrong word, 'cruise' is the wrong word...I can only describe the take off as it being 'gearing' driven, rather than rev driven. It's an odd yet very smooth flow from rest to motion.

Other words to describe it? For its size (and light weight) it is astonishingly sure footed, yet also agile. I guess its weight and dainty dimensions are factors here. So too is that complex rear suspension, because it's the key to the car's biggest and most unexpected surprise...how it corners. And the word here is 'fluid'; I was expecting soggy mush, but it pours from bend to bend with no uncomfortable sense of balance or weight shifting about mid bend. I really was not expecting it to corner with such finesse, or precision. Bonus :thumbs:

I accept that the 190E is not an exciting or thrilling car to drive. It was never meant to be, but in its own rather scholarly and studious way, it's a very satisfying little car to smoke around it. Add to that a properly comfortable seat and driving position, a smooth ride, hushed and refined engine and gearbox - all mixed with Mercedes common sense and logic - and its charms as a beguiling and rather excellent little car are starting to shine through.

Now I just want some nice weather, and a good reason to take it for a very long run! :thumbs:

·
Registered
82 Posts
They are great cars, I've owned a few and love 'em to bits, even the 2 litre 190D I had. The guy I got my blue GTV from replaced it with a 190Cossie!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Tiff! any weak spots i need to be aware of day to day that came to light in your experience?

·
Registered
82 Posts
190's

Mine were pretty trouble free, but they are old cars now, so need checking for rust- where the rear subframe bolts to the body, in the front of the rear wheelarches and the jacking points on the sills are the places to watch. Heater matrixes clog up, and blower motors go down sometimes, electric window switches can cause trouble, and check brake and fuel pipes have been replaced, but these things were built to last!! The way you describe yours makes it sound like you got a goodun, they usually tell you when something isn't right as they should be perfectly rattle free,smooth and hushed. Check out MBclub forums, great guys in there with all the 190 knowledge you need, 190.co.uk too.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Aye! I had the first C-class as a works motor for a few months when they first appeared (our Finance Director left and I was waiting for my works GTV to be delivered.. :thumbs: ).

The C' was a bit inferior to the 190 quality wise (compare the carpets) but I understand the dynamics.... The FD put it best.. he said it doesn't so much accelerate, rather it gathers momentum... It was a weird feeling (maybe comes with the rear wheel drive doodah?)

But enjoy it .. the 190 is a real classic (rather than a mere mortal car that has just happened to survive into old age)... but when you getting an Alfa again? Those foreign cars are all very well but... :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers for your enthusiastic replies, chaps :thumbs:

it's been as good as gold this week, despite the weather. And the weather is one reason I haven't taken or posted pics; last Saturday, my car was lovely and clean. Today, it's covered in the grey grit and slush trails that come with melting snow and freezing nights. I was going to get it washed today, but decided against it. I'll be washed and photo'd next week, so please bear with me until then.

(An aside; my sis was meant to collect the Polo last Sunday, but the snow prevented that from happening. So the VW has spent the week covered in snow, frozen by ice, unstarted and unused. Given she's now collecting it on Monday, today I decided to see if it starts. Which it did! One turn of the key and it started like it was a warm summer morning. So, I cleaned off all the snow, de-iced the windows, and, to check that the handbrake hadn't stuck, moved it forward and backward a few yards a few times, then left it to idle and get to operating temp. No problems here at all. As nice as it's been to drive the Mercedes this week, getting into the Polo again made me realise just how much I have - and will - miss it. Ah well...such is life :) I hope my it serves my sis well, too).

K

·
0 Posts
cheers for your enthusiastic replies, chaps :thumbs:

it's been as good as gold this week, despite the weather. And the weather is one reason I haven't taken or posted pics; last Saturday, my car was lovely and clean. Today, it's covered in the grey grit and slush trails that come with melting snow and freezing nights. I was going to get it washed today, but decided against it. I'll be washed and photo'd next week, so please bear with me until then.

(An aside; my sis was meant to collect the Polo last Sunday, but the snow prevented that from happening. So the VW has spent the week covered in snow, frozen by ice, unstarted and unused. Given she's now collecting it on Monday, today I decided to see if it starts. Which it did! One turn of the key and it started like it was a warm summer morning. So, I cleaned off all the snow, de-iced the windows, and, to check that the handbrake hadn't stuck, moved it forward and backward a few yards a few times, then left it to idle and get to operating temp. No problems here at all. As nice as it's been to drive the Mercedes this week, getting into the Polo again made me realise just how much I have - and will - miss it. Ah well...such is life :) I hope my it serves my sis well, too).
I find I bond with the more mature vehicle much more than I do with more modern ones. It doesn't matter if it's an old shed, there's just something about them I like.

Looking forward to pics of the 190.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I find I bond with the more mature vehicle much more than I do with more modern ones. It doesn't matter if it's an old shed, there's just something about them I like.
The older you get, the more you understand that the car has good days and also bad days... that it isn't playing up on purpose, it's just knackered.. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I approve. :)

Where are the pictures?

An ex-colleague had one. I shouldn't be impressed by it but I am, that smaller NS mirror tickles me. I guess there's some trade off between aerodynamic benefit and missing something creeping up your NS just before you're about to turn left.

I had a quick look at an advert for a white 2.6 one but the rot way up the front wing was offputting.

As LJKS was a fan of the 2.6 and John Peel had one they've much kudos with me.

There's a 16V Cossie on Autotrader with some work done, but mega miles and a 'trade clearance' price of £3K, but seems a lot for the positive pitfalls and likely value of it in bits.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well the weather remains pants, so the only pic i can share with you is this lousy one taken just after i brought the 190 home. It snowed for hours immediately after I took the pic.

It's interesting to compare its design to my neighbour's AMG C-Class 3.6 - parked right next to it - as that C-Class replaced the W201.

Steve - Merc itch = scratch it! ;) :thumbs: that's what i've learnt...;) :thumbs:

More - and much better! - pics will follow...promise! :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
erm.....nice pic :lol:

I'm keeping the SW for as long as I can, I think. I'm really enjoying it.

I can see a Merc in my lifeline though at some stage. Just have to get the kids out of the way first. :)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the uploader works - and it's a big if! - there should be some pics here. The snow's gone, the sun shining...so it was time for a trip to the hand car wash, and some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
crikey, i wasn't expecting that to work! Let's try another!

(and there the uploader peaked!) I'll try later to add a few more.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers, Steve - thank you mate :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts