Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Have a little problem with my alfa 156 1.6 TS Petrol that i could do with some advice on.

I am getting a major loss of power when appying the throtle, then sometimes aided with a little lift it then grabs and goes as usual. It seems to happen worst when cold and occurs mainly pulling away in 1st or accelerating in 2nd.Lately the power loss has been quite severe, sometimes it can struggle for a good couple of seconds and needs a little coaxing out of it. I did get the warning light for a few seconds the other day aftr a bad getaway at a roudabout but it went off and has not been back on since. Once the car has warmed the problem dramatically reduces in frequency. Tonight on the way home though on the motorway i put my foot down while in 5th at about 70mph and could feel it trying to grab - then after a second or two it did. The revs dont increase while the lack of power is happening. Also i seem to notice/feel that when i start the car from cold the idle feels very lumpy and bumpy. I had a similar problem a while back and i replaced all the spark plugs which cured the problem but over the past few months it has been creeping back and lately has got very bad especially in the first 15 or so mins of driving from cold. Any ideas would be great help as always

·
Registered
371 Posts
Dirty injectors. Mine was doing the same until I started using Redex injector cleaner. Now it pulls like a train again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking back when i changed the spark plugs a couple of the wells did have some oil in which i cleaned up - if the 'o' rings on the coil packs were shot and oil was getting in could that also be causing the problem. I have read mixed reviews that redex can do more damage than good, any thoughts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, Had a good look at the spark plug wells and there was a tiny bit of oil in the left hand side hole, probably from spill during oil top up. Gave it a clean. Disconnected the MAF but it didnt feel any different, still low power bumpy rev, i didnt go for much of a drive and was going to this eveining but the engine was still warm so will try again tomorrow evening. Also disconnected the lambada sensor but hat also made no difference. Tried a ECU and throttle reset which i thought had done the trick, but this morning when i tried the car it still had the issue. Have bought some Redex so will fill up tomorrow and try that. After initaly warming the car up on a run inthe morning expieriencing the power loss frequently, then all day with 3-4 hours between driving i had no problem, the car pulled away every time without any powerloss the whole rest o f the day. it seems to occur only when the car is stone cold after a night. If the redex has no effect i am not sure what to look for next... any ideas

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds just the same as the problem I had, or should I say one of the problems that I had... The initial problem was a rotten coil pack wiring loom, water or condensation had got into it, I had that replaced at AlfaTecnico. When I first got it back from them it drove fine for a few hundred miles and then it began hunting for power at around 3500rpm and upwards and generally acting like a kangeroo until I eased back on the throttle, that was after it gave me loads of MCSF's. Plugged it into the laptop and it told me that lambda 2 had failed but due to experience and a previous test of all 3 probes I knew that could only be a false reading so I used Redex to give everything a good clean out and it's run fine ever since. It did take about 3 or 4 tankfulls of fuel to sort it completely though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi chaps - well i have done a few tanks of redex now and the problem still exists - i too have also been advised that it may be a ignition coil pack. from what i have read it is quite likely that it is just be one of the packs, - so am i right in thing that if i buy 1 pack (2nd hand on fleabay about £15.00) and try replacing each one methodically i may find the duff one.. or is there a better way to find the duff one? if there is a duff one... they are straight forward to swap by the looks of things as i have had them out a fair few times.

Any ideas/advice on my thinking...

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Hook up to alfadiag or fiatecuscan !
Alfas dont like guessing for errors, they
can and will fool you because they are Italian
Capice ??!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts