Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....can any of you fellow 916 Alfisti offer me some advice, opinions and experience on Fitting Hubcentric Spacers to the rear of their Spider or GTV?

I am about to purchase two Alfa 916 20mm Hubcentric spacers and plan to put them on the rear of my beastie spider I call Romeo. :)

anyone done this to theirs? is 20mm too much? what will it make my car look like?

My personal opinion is that as standard the rear 17" alloys look lost under the arches.:(

All replies much welcomed. Thanks Tania :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a new kit on ebay includes the two 20mm hubcentric spacers and 10 bolts/studs for £60. Would I need anything else then?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have 15mm Hubcentric spacers on mine,cosmetically it does fill out the arches and gives it a noticeable stance from the rear but handling I'm not too sure,I'm a bit old to be scalping her.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Snoodles :) I was hoping to see some piccies of members 916's with the hubcentric spacers on. I too am not looking to improve the handling as such its more for cosmetics and stance on the road. My fiancé Mike drove my spider the other day with myself following him in his 159. I noticed that the rear wheels need to be out to the arches because the car looked like a flying saucer!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
My GTV has 18" 8J rims with ET35 (225/40R18 tyres) and currently i have 3mm spacers at the front, and custom made 22mm spacers at the back. 25mm was too much, the tyre touched the outer wheelarch with almost any bump or corner (the car is lowered as well, -20mm) I've had 5mm spacers at the front, but it made the car feel uneasy on the highway, the front got a bit nervous, it was 'seeking' track. With the 3mm it was ok. Just a few mm can make all the difference ;) Never noticed any change in drivability at the back. It's a nice compromise between looks and drivability i think. Pictures are a bit dark but you get the idea. Remember, if your ET value is different, your spacer size will vary as well. The actual position of the rim is a combination of ET value and spacer size.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I've set mine up for crusing now and having a nice stance. Its now got 18" Blackline alloys (which are wider than stock 17" teledials), with 20mm eibach drop springs and 235 section tyres on the rear and now 15mm eibach hubcentric spacers on the rear only.
I think is looks fab now and didnt feel the front end needed widening, interestingly im still running 225 Pirelli section tyres at the front which themselves were 20mm wider than the 225 section Toyo Proxi TR1 !!! The difference of buying a quality brand tyre, that fact coupled with wider alloy means the front is nearly flush.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ohh very nice piccies lads, thanks. I have just ordered 20mm hubcentrics from wolfrace. Both your cars look yummy. :) I love the GTV and 916, stunning design and ageless design in my opinion.

Hope my new order will marry up well with the 17" GT alloys!

Thanks again for pics, I can really see the benefit visually, its a real improvement in my opinion. I wont be lowering my spider though, I need the clearance.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
More info needed

Hope my new order will marry up well with the 17" GT alloys!

Thanks again for pics, I can really see the benefit visually, its a real improvement in my opinion. I wont be lowering my spider though, I need the clearance.
It's not the lowering but the overall tyre/wheel width combination that causes clearance problems. Wheel J & Et all important, as is tyre profile + height.

If you lower, by 20 to 30mm, all you've done is use the first 20 to 30mm of suspension travel.....it's the last bit of suspension travel(full compression) where the rubbing occurs...not the beginning. If you still use the original bumpstops then the wheel cannot travel any further than before. Many people fit wider wheels + lower at the same time & don't use any bumpstops(I like fitting the earlier TS type which are stronger & slightly shorter).

I recently fitted 235/35 19" 8J ET 35 with lowering springs(unknown but possibly -20 Autodelta?) to a V6 GTV with no clearance problems but I reverted to std because the springs, although looked like new, were 'knackered'.

It would also help if people posted what exact model they had as TSs have a narrower track than V6s so can have wider spacers/wheels/tyres etc fitted before rubbing occurs.

Depending on the wheel diameter, wider wheels' insides can rub on the spring pans.........the larger the diameter the less likely. It's normally only the rears that give problems, fronts just clearance on lock when fitting larger diameter wheels with slightly 'oversize' tyres.

If using the same ET then for each 1J (1" or 25mm) increase the wheel is wider inwards & outwards by approx 12.5mm. If using a different ET then you have to do the maths.

So please when asking include as many details as poss, then it's easier to try & give the correct answer. Although it is a bit 'suck it & see' sometimes as not all tyres come out the same & you can stretch slightly narrower tyres to give more corner edge clearance.

I would fit the same spacers all round rather than just at the rear.

Clive

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, theres little room for spacers at the front as I see it so I will not be altering the front track.
My spider is a 2002 2.0 Twinnie and has 215 45 17" Brand New Budgets all round on GT spoke alloys.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
woo hoo they have arrived and being fitted as I type. They look good quality, aluminium I think! All 10 bolts as well. How exciting. :) Will post a piccie on here for reference.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've got -25mm springs on GTA rims with 225/45/17 and 10mm spacers on the rear and they do catch the back of the arch liner on hard bumps. I'm fitting new shocks as soon as they arrive which will help. The GTA's are ET35 so now 25 with spacers.

Your GT rims should be 10mm further out than mine so I'll be interested in the results :)

G

·
0 Posts
Just one thing the car is set up for handling width dimensions and wider rears and standard fronts will affect turn in characteristics! Understeer :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts