Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi,

I'm not an expert but I have some experience of owning and/or regularly driving both the GT 1.9 diesel and the 2.4 Sportwagon (pre-facelift).

The 2.4 is a fine engine - smooth, powerful and easy to remap to 200bhp or so. The clutch will take a beating though and I think it will shorten the life of the DFM and they are expensive to replace. The 1.9 is also a fine engine and easy to re-map. I don't think there is anything between them. Both are great.

Problems with turbos and the drivetrain are rare, electrical problems are no worse than Fiats. I had heated seats in my first GT but not on my current Cloverleaf - I don't miss them.

I would take the GT over the Sportwagon as I find the sportwagon is too soft and woolly for my taste. The GT is firmer, stiffer and more fun to push hard and I personally prefer the looks. A good sportwagon is a lovely thing to own though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You will pay half as much for a 156 1.9 facelift as you will for a GT in similar condition.
Autotrader currently has a 2004 1.9SW with 41k at £4500 and a 2005 GT 1.9 with 48k at £4300 or a 2005 SW with 76k for £3200 and a 2005 GT 1.9 with 80k for £3700.

The Sportwagon maybe slightly cheaper by a few hundred £££s but half? I don't think so. Also, it's very hard to find one that hasn't got galactic mileage - there's only 1 on the Autotrder ATM with less than 50k. They tend to be used hard as a working tool whereas GT's tend to be more lightly used and cossetted.

Your 3.2 GT looks absolutely beautiful, BTW. It's a credit to you and you must be heartbroken to be selling her....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.