Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
48,494 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 2.4 wagon or a GT V6 - certainly the V6 engine is the pick of the bunch in the GT and head & shoulders better than either of the 4-pots (although you'll notice the extra £££s at the fuel station compared to the diesel).

With the 156, the 5 cylinder is a good choice, its what I run myself (10v 03 plate), they super-reliable and fantastic on juice. Unlike the 1.9 it doesn't have chocolate driveshafts, and perhaps because of the smoother delivery of the 5 cylinder they don't seem to get through clutches and flywheels quite so much either, despite them being the same as what is fitted to the 1.9 16v. They are heavier on front suspension arms though and out of the box they are not as nimble so its swings and roundabouts. This is all in regards to the 2.4 10v with a standard output of 150bhp/236lbft although mine was remapped when brand new by the supplying dealer and recently made 200bhp/340lbft on a rolling road, after 175k miles. The 2.4 20v does add a bit more power but it brings its own problems too, mostly because of the decision to go with a GM 6-speed box. The different clutch, flywheel & driveshafts are all less robust than the 2.4 10v so if you do decide to go for a 20v, try and find one that has had this work done even if it means paying a bit more.

This one looked like a bargain, but it has now sold. Could well have needed a grand's worth of work, but for the price it wouldn't really have mattered much in the long run:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251284039977?

Now if you're thinking of a GT V6, mine is the black one on Pistonheads classifieds:

Used ALFA ROMEO ALFA GT 3.2 V6 24V for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1485159)

There seems to be hardly any for sale at the moment compared to normal.

·
Vendor
48,494 Posts
Autotrader currently has a 2004 1.9SW with 41k at £4500 and a 2005 GT 1.9 with 48k at £4300 or a 2005 SW with 76k for £3200 and a 2005 GT 1.9 with 80k for £3700.

The Sportwagon maybe slightly cheaper by a few hundred £££s but half? I don't think so. Also, it's very hard to find one that hasn't got galactic mileage - there's only 1 on the Autotrder ATM with less than 50k. They tend to be used hard as a working tool whereas GT's tend to be more lightly used and cossetted.

Your 3.2 GT looks absolutely beautiful, BTW. It's a credit to you and you must be heartbroken to be selling her....
Be sad to see it go thats for sure. I don't think I've ever owned a smarter looking car. Its actually massively practical for us because its like a van with the rear seats down, but I can't keep it because I just cannot get the little one in and out of it in carparks with the rear facing child seat. Last time I tried, I pulled my back and I wasn't right for a few days. I've had bad back in the past thats caused me time off work and I can't afford for that to happen these days. A GTA Sportwagon or a nice facelift JTD 'wagon will put the smile back on my face though. My saloon/coupe days are definitely over, but its no bad thing :)

BTW I think AV was talking about the saloons - most of those are half the price of the equivalent GT. The Sportwagon commands quite a premium over the saloon.

·
Vendor
48,494 Posts
the 1.9s have choclate driveshafts

so mine is a 1.9 mjet 140 bhp, and the boost controler moves an arm on the turbo, if this isnt the variable vane, what is it ?
They are all VNT turbos, 1.9 16v 140/150/170, also 1.9 8v 115/120, 2.4 10v 140/150 and 2.4 20v 175. They all have electronic VNT control via the VNT vacuum solenoid. Only the old 2.4 10v 136 had a basic type of mechanical variable vane setup.

·
Vendor
48,494 Posts
hmmm...wonder if the coupe 'box and shafts would work...
The ratios would be totally wrong, plus theres the whole visco-drive thing that would need deleting. Better option would be flywheel, clutch, gearbox, driveshafts, mounts, master/slave cylinders, pipework & gear selector from a 2.4 10v (5-speed) which would all bolt straight on. Or you could use all of the above, except a gearbox from a GT 1.9 JTDm (6-speed), which is what I have fitted in my 2.4 10v to replace the 5-speed.

Benefits would be much more durable and easy to source driveshafts, half the price for a new DMF, cheaper clutch kit by about £70, nicer feel, much much easier to fit a limited slip diff (the 10v/16v gearboxes have a seperate diff housing so you can take the diff out easy rather than pulling the whole gearbox internals out to get to the diff on an F40).

Downsides its a lot of work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.