Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
The struts I got are identical to the originals, and came with a 2 year warranty. No rivets are involved in the process, there is a ball joint on the strut that fits onto ball on the car. Was a bit fiddly, but only a screwdriver & pliers were involved. Two of us did mine which made it a bit easier-passing things and holding etc. Just make sure you get the struts the right way around- ie replace a 100N strut with a 100N strut and 200 with a 200.
Thank you for confirming that.

How long did it take you to fit them with help?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello amboren,
I'm away from my main computer where I keep the eLearn, so all I can do is to try to answer the questions or doubts you may have. You don't need any specific tools, get good quality replacement struts, take care when drilling the rivets, they are aluminium, but somehow I had an issue to remove them - maybe the drill was too big.
You need to get to screws that attach internal roof textile to the roof stucture. Once this is removed you'll see the struts. Struts have exactly the same security mechanism as the struts that lift the boot/bonnet - you can practice with them.
When installing the struts, remember to do that with arc lowered = struts extended.

That's from top of my head, let me know if there's anything I can help you with,
Thanks, I'll try ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The struts I got are identical to the originals, and came with a 2 year warranty. No rivets are involved in the process, there is a ball joint on the strut that fits onto ball on the car. Was a bit fiddly, but only a screwdriver & pliers were involved. Two of us did mine which made it a bit easier-passing things and holding etc. Just make sure you get the struts the right way around- ie replace a 100N strut with a 100N strut and 200 with a 200.
Rumors says about an Alfa not official warning. In practice they say to replace the 100N struts with 200N.
I don't know if really exist but I'm going to do so ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rumors says about an Alfa not official warning. In practice they say to replace the 100N struts with 200N.
I don't know if really exist but I'm going to do so ...
On that - I guess no harm done if you put 200N all around, instead of 100N. Myself, I've put 150N and 250N.
Don't put 100N instead of 200N - those springs has to be strong to keep the seal between the roof and the cover. Popping corner is the symptom of a weak spring there.
One thing to keep in mind though - rated force of the spring is at 20deg. When hotter, pressure ergo force, is higher, and vice versa. High temperatures and vibrations is what kills those springs quickly.
So, with all due respect to British weather, you can easily put 200N instead of 100N. For vacations in Spain, I must be a bit more careful... :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rivets on both sides keep a short strap, that links internal roof lining to the roof structure. With straps removed, it's easier to get to the springs, but yeah, I guess with a bit of gymnastics and small hands you can swap the springs without cutting the straps or removing the rivet.
I've drilled the rivets, later replaced them with small bolt and nuts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Rivets on both sides keep a short strap, that links internal roof lining to the roof structure. With straps removed, it's easier to get to the springs, but yeah, I guess with a bit of gymnastics and small hands you can swap the springs without cutting the straps or removing the rivet.
I've drilled the rivets, later replaced them with small bolt and nuts.
This makes more sense, sorry I thought this was related to the struts.

Where did you get the replacement springs from?

Do you have any photos?

Is it essential to tie the elastic tight?

How long did it take to do this section of the fix?

Sorry for all these questions but I am sure other people would appreciate it too. :thumbu p:

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
This makes more sense, sorry I thought this was related to the struts.

Where did you get the replacement springs from?

Do you have any photos?

Is it essential to tie the elastic tight?

How long did it take to do this section of the fix?

Sorry for all these questions but I am sure other people would appreciate it too. :thumbu p:
I found the struts online, there's also a shop in Cracow, where I reside now. I've put above the brand and models used. SGS ones seem to be a good quality as well.
It took me more or less an hour to change them, ymmv. It's really not complicated, once you release the inner lining. If you dont't feel confident with the strut mounting, practice pulling the release tab an the bonnet struts, you'll quickly get a hang of it.

Elastic strap was a bit stretched in mine, that's why I tied a knot. But change the struts, and see if the window is catching on the hoops, maybe it's not necessary.

Again, sorry to repeat - replace the struts with the roof up/closed, so the struts are stretched when mounting. And remember proper positioning, ie on which side is the piston, or look at my post #23, it contains a picture that might help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello amboren,
I'm away from my main computer where I keep the eLearn, so all I can do is to try to answer the questions or doubts you may have. You don't need any specific tools, get good quality replacement struts, take care when drilling the rivets, they are aluminium, but somehow I had an issue to remove them - maybe the drill was too big.
You need to get to screws that attach internal roof textile to the roof stucture. Once this is removed you'll see the struts. Struts have exactly the same security mechanism as the struts that lift the boot/bonnet - you can practice with them.
When installing the struts, remember to do that with arc lowered = struts extended.

That's from top of my head, let me know if there's anything I can help you with,
Then I have to operate inside the car to remove struts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Then I have to operate inside the car to remove struts?
Yes, to assembly you do it from the inside. That's why its easier when you loosen the roof lining. To dissassembly you may try to do it with the arc up, from outside, struts are partially visible and probably will not be too strong.
I did disassembly and assembly from the inside.
In any case, roof cover should be up, vertical, with flaps extended. Then you can move the arc up and down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, to assembly you do it from the inside. That's why its easier when you loosen the roof lining. To dissassembly you may try to do it with the arc up, from outside, struts are partially visible and probably will not be too strong.
I did disassembly and assembly from the inside.
In any case, roof cover should be up, vertical, with flaps extended. Then you can move the arc up and down.
Sob sob ... I don't find the two bolts to undo after drilling the rivets and moving the interior lining ... Any Photos???
Those two bolts are from inside or outside car?
Help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sob sob ... I don't find the two bolts to undo after drilling the rivets and moving the interior lining ... Any Photos???
Those two bolts are from inside or outside car?
Help!
I can't find any photos, and my eLearn is a bit far away...:depressed:

If you look from the inside, roof up, around the place where the seatbelt slot is, slightly above, you may notice that inner lining is fastened on plastic "block". This block is bolted to the structure with two Allen screws. If you undo those screws, lining will go loose, and you may lift it to reveal the struts.

Hope it helps...:yes:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I did the two easiest ones tonight with no real problems and no rivet or bolt removal. Rear screen part now opens/closes without catching hoop - yipeee.. I bought four 200N struts so will now probably just keep two as spares to replace the easy ones in a couple of years rather than drilling rivets etc..

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the two easiest ones tonight with no real problems and no rivet or bolt removal. Rear screen part now opens/closes without catching hoop - yipeee.. I bought four 200N struts so will now probably just keep two as spares to replace the easy ones in a couple of years rather than drilling rivets etc..
:clap::happy::clap:

41 - 60 of 146 Posts