Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a call yesterday from the above company saying that they were associated with Microsoft and that they dealt with MS problems. They were calling as a result of error reports sent to Microsoft.

They then went through a long spiel about the company giving telephone numbers, address and even the company registration number. They are apparently in Basingstoke, though the caller sounded as though he was from Mumbai.

He then took me through a process to see the reports that had been generated - over 19,000 of them then invited me to log onto their web site so that they could remote onto my laptop to sort out the problem. I had been uneasy initially and became even more so at the though of someone who had cold called me being given access to my machine, so I declined his offer and said that I would call back after running some checks.

I called a friend in the trade who told me it was a scam to get you to sign up to a maintenance agreement - £100 p.a. or a pay as you go deal.

Before I got an answer from my mate a second person called to follow up the first - he got short shrift and I told him I would call back when I was ready.

I understand that the company does do what it says, however its tactics for gaining business appear dubious at best and seem quite expensive or a service that is probably never going to be used. My mate tells me that MS do not pass on user details to third parties and as far as I am aware the error reports sent to MS are anonymous, so there seem to be a number of inconsistencies in their story.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it was event viewer. Hadn't seen the earlier post, but does no harm to point out that they are still at it. I won't waste time if they call me back again, just a few choice bits of Anglo-Saxon.

I am planning to go to TPS to see if they can do something as there is a UK number.

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
It is as well to keep flagging things like this, especially as there seems to be so little we can do to stop them.

See if you can break the record for keeping them on the 'phone next time! ;)

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I normally just play along and then when they ask me to go to the Start menu I go dumb.... I eventually tell them I'm on a Mac, or drop hints towards it and see how long it id before they get the idea.
Either that or just straight hang up if I'm busy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts