Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, being as its not a 5 minute job to replace the clutch on a 147 petrol or diesel i wonder if anyone knows if you can get a solid flywheel conversion kit for the 147 jtd 8v.I dont much fancy replacing the dmf on the 1.9 due to the cost. As it happens im also running a 2.4jtd thats been remapped so it would be nice to know for the future when the 2.4 starts to slip.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi,ive just read an old thread after googling conversion kits for the alfa 1.9 jtd.It bought me back to old threads here on Alfaowner, So it seems they exist its just at what price!

·
Registered
231 Posts
i seem to remember reading that someone used a fiat coupe 20v turbo item,
would be very supprised if it damaged the crank.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i though that fitting a solid flywheel could end up damaging the crank?
If you take a look at the flywheel/clutch on a 2.4/1.9JTD (DMF) you will see that the clutch has no springs like a normal clutch thence the special flywheel.
Apparently someone did it with the clutch from a Fiat 20V but it can be done with the flywheel/clutch from the Alfa V6 lump but don't ask me witch one (2.5/3.0).
Damage to the crank ? how ?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I thought it was the gearbox it could damage? but TBH I doubt it would do much harm to anything, I think if my clutch goes i'd like to fit a solid flywheel, it may help to stop a little vibration on tickover but older less advanced cars never had such things!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
If you take a look at the flywheel/clutch on a 2.4/1.9JTD (DMF) you will see that the clutch has no springs like a normal clutch thence the special flywheel.
Apparently someone did it with the clutch from a Fiat 20V but it can be done with the flywheel/clutch from the Alfa V6 lump but don't ask me witch one (2.5/3.0).
Damage to the crank ? how ?
torsional vibration ............

dmf where introduced regarding torque output ,ordinary clutches to handle it were not user friendle in family cars
and it was better cushion for gearbox

·
Registered
231 Posts
i thought a dmf was purely for creature comforts? without one you'll prob get a little judder, the same as a performance car with a paddle clutch, but i can live with that.

i'll def be doing a solid conv when i need a new one, my first dmf lasted 45k

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Our courtesy car is running a solid flywheel which our machine shop has developed for us, and also a GTA clutch. Drives really really well and so far, no issues. It's a 147 8v 5speed.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Our courtesy car is running a solid flywheel which our machine shop has developed for us, and also a GTA clutch. Drives really really well and so far, no issues. It's a 147 8v 5speed.
thats running about same amount of peak torque is it not?

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
GTA is 220lbft and 1.9 8v 115bhp version is 203lbft so I don't reckon there will be any clutch problems. Be interesting to see if there are any engine or transmission problems as the miles add up, as it's a courtesy car I reckon it probably gets a fairly hard life. It has significantly improved the feel of the clutch and the car does feel faster. On a standard slave cylinder the bite point feels lower down the pedal than before.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
GTA is 220lbft and 1.9 8v 115bhp version is 203lbft so I don't reckon there will be any clutch problems. Be interesting to see if there are any engine or transmission problems as the miles add up, as it's a courtesy car I reckon it probably gets a fairly hard life. It has significantly improved the feel of the clutch and the car does feel faster. On a standard slave cylinder the bite point feels lower down the pedal than before.
oh right :thumbs:

ps sent you pm:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ford Transits had loads of dmf probs and aftermarket manufacturers came up with conversion kits to change them back to solid flywheels.The clutch centre plate used to have the springs in it for "shock " absorbtion now its the dmf an expensive service item.|Its not just dmfs that are a step backwards but also dpfs in diesels another monsterously expensive replacement part.

·
Registered
212 Posts
there are solid flywheel and clutch conversion kits for astras and vectras which use the same engine and box so i dont see why one of them cannot be fitted. have suppied them to a local taxi firm and no problems with damaged cranks, gearbox or judder. they have reported no problems and lets face it they couldnt face a harder life than in a taxi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts