Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: I m furious today. A soldier dies rescuing a journalist who had been told not to go to the area from where he was eventually taken hostage. I m fuming. That was definately one wasted life. I believe in letting the journo s get the truth in countries where people need a voice but I m tired of us babysitting them and not doing as they are bloomin well told.
RIP fella. xxxxx:mad::mad::mad:

R

·
0 Posts
Ahh foxy, im really sorry to hear that. The problem is that these Journos dont realise that our troops are not their to supply them with a good news story or rescue them when they get captured. All we really want is all you guys and girls home safe.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
They are a bunch of *****!!!

Rant over, thank you for your support. MOD feel free to close this thread before I explode.

Going to turn to some happier issues like adive from my AO s on lovemaking (as opposed to war).

·
Registered
726 Posts
guardian report said:
"This guy was told not to go in there. He was told by local officials," said a western military source. "But being stupid should not give you a death sentence. How do you decide when not to go in? That's the hard thing? When do you give a bad man with a gun the right to decide. You always go back and get someone."

That's an interesting view from a military source.

In general, sending journalists out to tjhe front line is essential for a democracy to pursue a war. How long would people support it if they didn't know what was going on?

E

·
0 Posts
Here's a newsflash. Journos are self centered scum, and that is from experience. That really was a waste of a life. :(

V

·
0 Posts
The guy was specifically warned not to go in - no-one from the BBC or other 'mainstream' TV News would go in after such advice.

What was he, a freelancer? Totally irresponsible and yes, people died because of him. And YES, he had a history of doing stupid stuff like this apparently.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Tough one.

I can't help but think that some people would be complaining if we left the guy in the hands of the taliban (or whoever). Quite sure there would be public outrage if there was another beheading on t.v and the usual suspects all over the news saying how bad this government is for not sending troops into to rescue him.

R.I.P for the soldier though.

N

·
0 Posts
He was a NY Times journo nicknamed Robohack who's
already been kidnapped once before in Iraq(?).

I'd like to know who ordered the rescue and why?
It makes no sense.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
From what I read yesterday, two civilians and an interpreter also died in the rescue. I had similar thoughts to you, foxybrown, it feels a little like they have traded four lives for one high-profile one.

Still, it gives a little insight into the courage and moral fibre of the armed forces that they are willing to risk so much for what seems like a foolhardy mission.

·
Registered
24,514 Posts
Like mama says, it is worth remembering that this guy's "fearless" attitude and reckless disregard of advice ultimately cost more than one innocent lives and that of a brave soldier.

He probably is still only thinking of himself and his Pullizer chances. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
I don't think they should have not rescued him.
I do think he should have not put himself in the situation of having to be rescued in the first place.

I think consideration should be given to charging him - perhaps with manslaughter?

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Hmm, thats quite a heavy charge Bazza considering we know very little about the whole incident. I'm sure a good attorney would argue that the operation was blundered and sloppy so not the fault of the 'victim'.

However, facing some sort of charge/disciplinary is a good call.

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Yeah, there's plenty of doubts about that last point - but that's why I put that 'consideration should be given'.

V

·
0 Posts
I wonder if the New York Times have commented on what's happened?

I wonder whether they were aware of their employee disobeying miltary advice in doing what he did?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I wonder if the New York Times have commented on what's happened?

I wonder whether they were aware of their employee disobeying miltary advice in doing what he did?
Well, VO2, you could always have a look. :) Anyway, be my guest...

The guy's own report is here. Interestingly he doesn't mention any firm instructions not to go in, other than what appears to be a chat with some local police.

A NYT piece here doesn't mention it, either, but puffs up Farrell quite a bit.

Neither does this later report, from yesterday.

Today's report highlights the alleged recklessness of the raid. Another piece today is mainly on the deceased and his family, but also links to the other pieces above.

So there you go.

G

·
0 Posts
I think consideration should be given to charging him - perhaps with manslaughter?
Thats rediculous, How can you possibly be charged for man slaughter by somebody rescuing you and dying in the process.

Although the journo shouldnt have been where he was, but he would of had to be saved, you cant just leave a man to be captured and killed just to save somebody elses life, with your theory it would have been man slaughter leaving him captured!!!

·
Super Moderator
44,774 Posts
Thats rediculous, How can you possibly be charged for man slaughter by somebody rescuing you and dying in the process.

Although the journo shouldnt have been where he was, but he would of had to be saved, you cant just leave a man to be captured and killed just to save somebody elses life, with your theory it would have been man slaughter leaving him captured!!!
Eh? If he hadn't been there, how would he have had to be saved? :confused:

If you read my whole post instead of going off half-cocked and calling me 'rediculous' [sic] you'd see that I have stated that they were correct to rescue him. I also clearly only put manslaughter down as a possible option, and furthermore suggested that charges should be considered, I did not say that he should definitely face them. Even more, you could have read the very next two posts and seen that I agree manslaughter is probably a jump too far.
This is all called debate, and I tend to find it works much better than just jumping in with two feet and your eyes closed spluttering 'rediculous' at people. ;)

The fact remains that his actions - in defiance of what he was told to do by the military - cost lives. Should he be able to just walk away from that with a lovely big wage packet and enhanced journalistic image because he's got this great story?

·
Registered
726 Posts
The military are in one of our cleft sticks again.

1. The raids on the tankers killed a good number of civilians (exact number unknown AFAIK).
2. A journalist sets out to investigate.
3. The military block the investigation.

How does that play, locally and internationally? Tricky, eh?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eh? If he hadn't been there, how would he have had to be saved? :confused:

If you read my whole post instead of going off half-cocked and calling me 'rediculous' [sic] you'd see that I have stated that they were correct to rescue him. I also clearly only put manslaughter down as a possible option, and furthermore suggested that charges should be considered, I did not say that he should definitely face them. Even more, you could have read the very next two posts and seen that I agree manslaughter is probably a jump too far.
This is all called debate, and I tend to find it works much better than just jumping in with two feet and your eyes closed spluttering 'rediculous' at people. ;)

The fact remains that his actions - in defiance of what he was told to do by the military - cost lives. Should he be able to just walk away from that with a lovely big wage packet and enhanced journalistic image because he's got this great story?
Bazza, you are a little diammond in the rough and we do it all for people like you. You are a hundred per cent correct.

For those who are unsure or dont agree, I have served in 'dodgy' places and journos have been embedded with us. The likes of Ross Kemp, do a hell of a lot of good for both the military and the innocent indigenous people but those that cut around as they please put many many innocent civilians and soldiers at risk. Of course we will never ever leave anyone to die, friend or foe, the British military constantly provides medical care for suspected enemy forces but to constantly go against rules and advice to chase a story that could be obtained in other ways, is reckless. In alot of countries if you go sailing or rock climbing in places you are advised not to go to, if the emergency services have to rescue you, then you foot the bill. Making people take account for their actions should be a way of sending a serious message.

Trust me, the British military will be there for you all at all times, we are your military and we will die for you as that brave soldier did, but it doesnt mean you wont get a punch in the t*ts behind the bike shed once we ve rescued you and given you a cup of sweet hot tea.

God Save the Queen.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts