Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my decluttering I put a very rare Ford Ka launch/press pack and a keen Ka enthusiast bought it for about £20. I sent a pic of the Certificate of Posting to the lucky “winner” who was very grateful. Over the following two weeks I eventually got messages to say it hadn’t arrived and “had it been posted”?
Never having sent a parcel or letter unsuccessfully I assumed that keeping the receipt would be of some use but now I discover I probably need to refund the buyer and I don’t have a tracking code for the package. I also don’t have the contents either. Has anybody else has this experience ?

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
If you sent a photo of the posting certificate, does that not have tracking number on it?

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. The tracking number was for the other item I posted which was a “small parcel” rather than a “large letter”. The buyer now tells me I can refund him and then we have reached a mutual agreement.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You have to be so careful sending eBay purchases. My wife sent something only to be told it hadn’t arrived and requested a refund. We were suspicious so contacted the courier who had proof of delivery. That was the last we heard.
I’m not saying that happened to you, but post that incident, I ensure that all of our listings include a signed for delivery cost.

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just refunded him. There didn’t appear to be any bad history on his feedback.

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.
I have had a look and although the guy at the PostOffice said do it online or it’ll take ages I could only find an online form that required a tracking code. The definition of a lost item of post is one not arriving by ten working days. That was today and the same guy said there are bigger delays than usual. I think I’ll message the buyer every couple of days to see if it’s arrived!

·
Vendor
45,967 Posts
The buyer is probably pulling a fast one. I'd tell him to do one.
It's the seller's responsibility to get proof of delivery if you sell on eBay. Buyer can claim it hasn't arrived and eBay will side with the buyer and refund unless the seller has proof of delivery.

Happens all the time with low-value items send non-recorded, a proportion of stuff will always go missing, a proportion of buyers are thieves. If you're selling stuff regularly, its probably easier just to make sure your margins cover whatever percentage get lost in transit. Or always send recorded, but you'll usually end up spending more in postage costs than you will in refunds.

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep. It’d be more expensive to assume everybody can’t be trusted!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Yes I learned this the hard way, a few years back. Sold a good phone for £200 on ebay. Posted it off merrily, spent the winnings, then guess what......buyer says he never received it.

Being naive/trusting/old school, I didn't request "signed for delivery" so didn't have a leg to stand on. Had to refund him.

Think that was the first and last thing I sold on Ebay.

·
Registered
14,918 Posts
I very rarely sell anything on ebay these days, and I don't really buy anything other than new buy it now stuff either. My experience is that if it goes the slightest bit **** up, ebay will side with the buyer. e.g. a broken laptop, described and sold as broken. Buyer gets it, finds it doesn't work, wants his money back because it was broken in a different way to what he thought. I sold a laptop screen, the buyer said it didn't work when it arrived. Having sprung for postage and got it back, it still worked fine. In both cases, eBay were very keen for me to "reach an agreement" with the buyer, i.e. give in.

Buying is a similar nightmare of people bidding on their own stuff to get the price up. If they accidentally win the auction, you get a slightly sheepish message offering said item for slightly less then the winning bid.

I think eBay want eBay to work like Marks and Spencers - if your broken second hand item turns up broken and second hand, and you're not completely satisfied, or you just say it hasn't arrived, you get a full refund and knackers to the poor sod who just wanted to clear some clutter whilst barely covering his costs.

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just notified the buyer that I’d filled in an online claim with the Post Office for the missing item.
The response “
Ok hope they refund you ok . Will let you know if it appears still hopeful

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
We all have stories about Ebay, I have sold quite a bit, but always have used my business overnight signed for courier, no signature, no parcel. However, one of the last things I sold was a pair of Acoustic Research speakers. They only went for £10 plus £15 delivery, so peanuts. Before buying the buyer was asking about what the acoustic padding was inside, I had no idea as the cabinets were sealed. Two or three weeks after I had acknowledgement and a 5* review, the buyer came back to me saying one of the cabinets was broken (oh yeh!), I package up stuff all the time for shipping and have proper double walled boxes etc.In the to and fro he claimed his wife had signed for them, then him, then he'd only just opened the box, etc, the story changed several times, still all sounded very dodgy, but he still demanded a refund and I should pay for return! In the end despite the totally implausible **** and bull he came out with to my disbelief, Ebay sided with him! It wasnt the money, it was the principle. I've never used a black magic doll before, and will never know if it worked. ;)

·
Registered
37,896 Posts
I sold something on ebay as spares or not working because it didn't work.

The buyer opened a case to say that it wasn't working and they refunded him!

Luckily they didn't take the money back from me, it appeared to have come from their good will fund. Still really annoying though.

I also had a buyer claim that an item arrived damaged, I put in a claim with collectPlus who simply ignored my messages. I asked the seller to return it if there was a problem and he said that he had already had it repaired so that was the end of that one.

Ebay is a strange place, and never use collect plus as their postage insurance is worthless.

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it’s strange but as long as you post on time and pack the stuff well,most people are genuinely grateful. It’s just when people try it on. I find pricing quite interesting and when you get a surprise with the bids.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I’ve been quite lucky buying and selling on eBay. The one time something got damaged in transit it was part of a set of surround sound speakers. They were quite large so I sent them in a couple of parcels. One speaker was damaged in transit and the buyer agreed to a partial refund as the rest were fine. I contacted the courier who refunded the full sale price and the delivery costs. I also accidentally bought two identical DVD players when I bid on both knowing I would be away with no internet access when the auctions finished and thought I might win one if I was lucky as I placed low bids. I put the spare back on eBay a week later and sold it at a very tidy profit even after eBay fees etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts