Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my Ford Explorer on the UAE site for guaranteed car buying.

Over here it is confusingly called "We Sell Any Car dot com" but actually they buy.

It was incredibly simple and very good value.

First of all you enter your car reg into their website and they give you a valuation. In my case it was 44,500 AED which is just shy of 10,000 GBP (current rate is 4.6 AED to the pound). I had a look on the UAE equivalent of Autotrader and there were several similar cars (with lower mileage) being advertised around the 55k AED mark. I reckon fair private value for mine was 50k AED. I've no idea what people actually accept as offers over here - but I would have advertised mine at 50k AED and taken offers.

After getting the valuation of 44.5k AED I accepted their allotted time slot to take it to their office for a final valuation. Their office is next to the UAE equivalent of the DVLA.

I turned up this morning at 10am as booked, the guy checked the paperwork, registration, service history and then did a short test drive (checking brakes, steering and all switches etc). He then took a lot of photos and had me sit in the office for 10 minutes.

He then came in and showed me the portal where my cars details and photos were uploaded and started the auction.

Apparently car dealers partake in an auction in real time for the car (I can't verify how much of this is true mind you) and then you get a highest bid.

After the first 5 minute auction the highest offer was 40,000 AED. I was advised to decline this. I did.

A further 5 minute auction went round and the "winner" bid 44,395. This was a dealer in Jordan.

I had the option to reject again or accept. I hit accept. It was sold. You *can* gamble for a 3rd round, but they sometimes go lower. If you reject all 3 bids you have to walk away. You can return later - but then you are a known "not sold" and it starts off lower....

Anyway - I took the bid and sold the car.

I signed a transfer paper and was chaperoned to the DVLA next door who then stamped the deal. I got an SMS 10 minutes later from my insurer who had cancelled the insurance and sent me a rebate for the unused portion of my insurance (minus a hefty admin fee), an SMS from the police to say there were no outstanding traffic fines and a text from the UAE DVLA to confirm the car was now transferred out of my name.

Car was gone and I was in a taxi home by 11.30. Money arrives in my account within 24 hours.

So it was exactly as it says on the tin. Quick. simple and guaranteed - for which you need to swallow about a 10% haircut on the likely private sale price.

I'm good with that. I can't bear selling privately with all the looky-loos and stupid offers and pedantic nonsense.

If it was this quick and simple in the UK and was only 10% off market I'd use it like a shot.

I have no idea how much of the auction stuff was a bluff or not - but it was totally headache free so I don't really care.

·
Registered
37,746 Posts
Over here it is confusingly called "We Sell Any Car dot com" but actually they buy.

After getting the valuation of 44.5k AED I accepted their allotted time slot to take it to their office for a final valuation.

He then came in and showed me the portal where my cars details and photos were uploaded and started the auction.

Apparently car dealers partake in an auction in real time for the car

So it was exactly as it says on the tin.
You have an odd idea of "what it says on the tin", unless you mean the "we SELL any car" bit, in which case it does, despite the fact that assert they buy.

Have you been eating slightly off dates :confused:

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have an odd idea of "what it says on the tin", unless you mean the "we SELL any car" bit, in which case it does, despite the fact that assert they buy.

Have you been eating slightly off dates :confused:
It's VERY hot out here at the moment. Anything that works at all is considered to be good, and it's very easy to get confused.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Auction. That's not a bad idea. You can do it on eBay only the bid price is just the buyer's starting point for negotiation :lol:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
10% for hassle free isn't bad. Over here they just skin you unfortunately. I tried them with my 159Ti and it wasn't even a third of its market value.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10% for hassle free isn't bad. Over here they just skin you unfortunately. I tried them with my 159Ti and it wasn't even a third of its market value.
Yes it is a very different business model in the UK. In the UK they do actually purchase your car so they are factoring in all sorts of risks and overheads which makes the prices offered pretty untenable.

Over here in the UAE they are basically a broker between private sellers and the purchasing dealers so they just work on a profit margin basis. Means they can offer closer to market (although still with a healthy enough margin).

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Yes it is a very different business model in the UK. In the UK they do actually purchase your car so they are factoring in all sorts of risks and overheads which makes the prices offered pretty untenable.

Over here in the UAE they are basically a broker between private sellers and the purchasing dealers so they just work on a profit margin basis. Means they can offer closer to market (although still with a healthy enough margin).
It sounds a much better and fairer process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts