Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 802 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having used the onboard GPS for a short while, I'm already looking forward to Android Auto I must say. It's certainly usable but programming in destinations without the ability to send a location from your phone is rather time consuming. Given updates are known to be coming including Apple Drive and Android Auto I thought this thread would be useful to track software updates and for Tom Tom. I'm not sure where the updates will be advertised but will poke around. For now here are the versions from my recent UK delivery.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Great idea. I wonder how easy it will be to load maps for other regions. I have a UK car inbound later in the year and want to load the local maps...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've noticed that Speed Camera alerts only sound when navigation is being used, if there's a method to raise product ideas I'll fire in that alerts should sound even when not on a route.
At least they show up in the UK, in Germany you never get an alarm.

What is interesting if and how they will include tomtom live (with livetraffic, mobile speedcams). As far as I know there is no sim card build in like in the competitor cars.
Does anybody know if tomtom pois can be imported?

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
What is interesting if and how they will include tomtom live (with livetraffic, mobile speedcams). As far as I know there is no sim card build in like in the competitor cars.
Maybe via mobile/bluetooth ?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have serious doubts about the Live update... It seems pretty random to say the least! On Monday, the motorway I normally take got jammed after a 6 vehicle collision at 6:45AM. When I set off, the local radios were all over it as there was >2hrs30min delay on that motorway stretch. When I reached the back of the queue at around 7:45am, my Giulia SatNav was still not seeing any issue whatsoever for my commute!!!! :furious:
I wrote a complaint to the dealer and am awaiting a response.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least for map updates there is a download homepage available and it says that for the first 3 years, updates are for free

https://maps.mopar.eu/en/home
Fantastic find, I'll register for that now.

I'm going to drop my car off at a dealer Friday to resolve the SNAFU with my USB port/cup holder cover, I'll check on software update info then too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having registered, there's nothing available for the Giulia yet but it is on the supported models list for 2017.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks for this

·
Registered
784 Posts
While I wait for Android Auto/CarPlay I have ruined my interior by doing this:

waze2.jpg

Regardless of who makes the SatNav software nothing comes close to Waze, so until I can screen mirror this is a must. Of all the mobile phone holders this one is great. It's made by Brodit and you buy a specific part for the car and the handset so the fit is perfect. I was pleased that it didn't obscure the car's screen either. Still looking forward to removing it when Android Auto comes along mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
While I wait for Android Auto/CarPlay I have ruined my interior by doing this:

View attachment 725234

Regardless of who makes the SatNav software nothing comes close to Waze, so until I can screen mirror this is a must. Of all the mobile phone holders this one is great. It's made by Brodit and you buy a specific part for the car and the handset so the fit is perfect. I was pleased that it didn't obscure the car's screen either. Still looking forward to removing it when Android Auto comes along mind.
I've got a Brodit in my Brera and had one in my old GT. One tip that I have though, if you change the phone and need a new mount, instead of replacing the entire section specific for the phone, I've always found it easier to unscrew the pivot leaving part of the old mount on and removing the pivot from the new phone bit and screw the rest of it onto the pivot section.

I do think Brodit make neat solutions.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've gleaned from the inital round of Stelvio testing that Apple Carplay and Android Auto are not yet available still. Has anybody with a more recent delivery than mine got any different version of the main software that my photo? Also, no sign of map updates via Mopar either.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've gleaned from the inital round of Stelvio testing that Apple Carplay and Android Auto are not yet available still. Has anybody with a more recent delivery than mine got any different version of the main software that my photo? Also, no sign of map updates via Mopar either.
Mine was delivered last week and the map is the same version as yours

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's to hoping the Apple Car play etc is a software update, not hardware one that existing owners can't have.

To get your car delivered in March/April and then find that June onwards cars have a much better system would be disappointing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here's to hoping the Apple Car play etc is a software update, not hardware one that existing owners can't have.

To get your car delivered in March/April and then find that June onwards cars have a much better system would be disappointing.
I'm quite worried about this. If I had to be optimistic, I'd say that they're probably withholding info on it because all 3 levels of the infotainment will get Android Auto and Apple Carplay, so it would make a lot of people order the car without navigation. :classic:
The pessimist in me is confident it won't be a software update. :bored:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm pretty sure Android and Apple will be straight up software updates, interesting comment in that article over true OTA updates a la Tesla however, that would definitely require a hardware change to my knowledge. There's no data link presently.

1 - 20 of 802 Posts