Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drive regularly on semi rough country roads and would like to soften the ride. Have lowered the type pressure by 2 PSI front and back and only partially helped. Current tyres are Continental 235x40xZR 19 96Y tyres.

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
DO NOT lower the tyre pressure...!
The pressures are high for a reason... so don't run below 2.7 Bar front & 2.5 Bar rear on 18" or 19".

Have to say that if you want a comfy ride on rough roads, perhaps a car with stiff suspension and low profile 19" tyres may not be the best choice...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Try getting some of the standard 17" lusso wheels. They have a 50 profile tyre which absorbs a lot of the bumps in the road, plus cheaper tyres when it comes to put new ones on...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.076570,-3.017771

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Maybe some non-Ti suspension springs and shocks may soften it up a bit. Then you could sell the Ti stuff to re-coup some of the money?

·
Registered
90 Posts
To be honest the ti’s are not that hard. I would keep the car for best and buy a Jeep type vehicle for everyday use.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Agree that the 159 on Ti suspension and wheels is not harsh at all. Try driving my previous car, a GT Q2 on 18" wheels, that was harsh!
Tyre pressures do seem pretty sensitive on the 19" wheels, got mine set at 38psi front and 36psi rear. Seems to be a good balance.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
If you lower the tyre pressures, you run a real risk of damaging both the wheel and the tyre sidewall if you run through a pothole.

As suggested above, going to standard Lusso 17" wheels improves the ride considerably, and is probably the easiest approach.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
If you lower the tyre pressures, you run a real risk of damaging both the wheel and the tyre sidewall if you run through a pothole.

As suggested above, going to standard Lusso 17" wheels improves the ride considerably, and is probably the easiest approach.
Has anybody tried 17" on a Ti?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Has anybody tried 17" on a Ti?
I'm running 17'' wheels for my winter tyres currently. The ride is indeed better, although obviously the cornering turn-in is less sharp. Also quiter, and less inclined to tram-line. If in general the 19" tyres got better the faster you went, probably the opposite is true with the 17" on Dunlop Winter Sport 4Ds.

You need to be (even more) careful with ground clearance. Although nominally the ride height is the same, the softer sidewalls tend to compress more over bumps, so you are more likely to bottom out.

Obviously the car lacks the visual acuity of the 19" wheels. As I don't really have a problem with the standard TI ride, I'll be looking forward to getting them back on when the weather picks up. :)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
And I have enough trouble with bottoming out.

Another 1/2" on the ride height would make London less tedious. The Tbi engine has an extra cup size projection underneath that refuses to clear most humps.

The only enjoyment I can get is slowing down BMW/Porsche Tractors as I traverse humps. They might have bought a truck but they still cant get past me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts