Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in the title, really.

In this current glorious weather , I have been pootling about in the spider with the top down. Mainly local stuff.....picking up bits and bobs, the weekly shop at Tesco.

If you have (had) a convertible, do you leave it with the top down (obviously nothing left inside) and a Crooklock on - or do you put the top up beforehand? BTW, my main town is Carmarthen, in Wales - not downtown Chicago or the likes. We have an extremely low crime rate around here. Again, just whilst shopping etc. I’m not suggesting leaving the car for hours on end......

Back in the 80s, I had a Lancia Beta Spyder as my daily. Unless it was chucking ti down, I never put the top up and never for one moment worried some ill may befall the car. Was that because:

a) I was young and naive
b) The world was, in fact, a better place
c) Stupidity ruled and I got away with it
d) I could still do it today and all would be fine.

I would be interested to hear other opinions......

·
Administrator
45,758 Posts
I'm afraid vague paranoid feelings leave me to always put the top up when parked on the wife's Audi S4. Even if I'm hardly going out of sight of it.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I'm afraid vague paranoid feelings leave me to always put the top up when parked on the wife's Audi S4. Even if I'm hardly going out of sight of it.
Could that be because you worry about the stick you would get if something happened rather than the actual something? Would it be different if it was your own car?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
a) I was young and naïve........................................Possibly
b) The world was, in fact, a better place...…….........….Definitely
c) Stupidity ruled and I got away with it...………………….No; see b)
d) I could still do it today and all would be fine...……...Certainly not

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,990 Posts
My concern about leaving a car top down would be - given the omnipresence of grunters and knuckle draggers today - that one or more of them would (sorry for the crude language) gob in it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah.... and I thought it was just me being a cynical/miserable/paranoid old git.

I didn’t necessarily want to fall into the usual...” things were better back in the old days” - but I really think they were. It does seem to be a sad fact of modern life that a large chunk of humanity rejoice in causing pain or grief or distress to others.

My top shall remain tightly closed when unattended :(

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,990 Posts
You’re not.

Something has gone seriously and noticeably wonky in the last ten years or so. And, to compound that joy, don’t expect it to get better. ?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You’re not wrong there. Without wishing to get too maudlin...these days no-one gives too hoots about their fellow man.

Everyone just seems hell-bent on furiously scribbling on Twitter/FB etc about how offended/repressed/victimised/outraged they are.....always blaming the government or society at large. But if we all showed more tolerance and compassion, were less egocentric and just accepted another’s point of view...........I think life would glide along more smoothly for all.

Snowball’s chance in hell of that, then

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,990 Posts
I’m open to discussing why that is (us getting older? Are we just on rinse/repeat and stating what all previous generations before us have said? Or is there a real malaise that needs looking at?)

Whatever it may be, it’s probably a topic for a separate thread ?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,990 Posts
The problem with numbers is that if you squeeze them enough you can make them say anything. I’m slightly surprised that Teresa May is yet to look at the stats relating to London’s knife murders and state that, according to the numbers: ‘technically-speaking, those people aren’t actually dead.’

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I leave mine with the roof down quite a lot when parked outside my own/friend's/family/client's houses. Thankfully I rarely have the need to go to the dodgy areas.
Windows will also be down as it looks miles better that way :grin:
Also at the supermarket for the half hour or so it takes to do the weekly shop. I know there'll be lots of people constantly coming and going, but I will have the windows up there for added 'protection'!
The word 'crooklock' made me laugh, I haven't seen or heard of one of those since the 80s! I'd sooner put the roof up than have one of those things on display.
Obviously I wouldn't leave the car with the roof down when parked down some random side street for any appreciable length of time, or on a public car park where there'd be fewer people around and the car would be more vulnerable.
With the roof up, a convertible will only take seconds to get in to if one is so inclined, so I don't worry too much.

I should point out that mine's an old Alfa and so isn't worth very much. If it was a Ferrari Spider I'm sure I'd be doing/saying something completely different!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Lussoman. I totally agree.....I absolutely never leave my Huracan Spyder with the top down. Well, only if my bodyguard is with me, of course ;)

My spider is a more mature car (cost sub £1k). So according to the yoof of today, considered way past it’s sell-by date and probably not worth jacking anyway.....but your comment re a less busy car park will certainly make me check next time. I hadn’t considered less people as more of a threat. Good point.

TonyGr...that makes for sobering reading - but, sadly, it can’t really comes as a surprise!

Scudetto.....most definitely requires a whole, shiny new thread:)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would worry about the odd bird flying over and dropping something on your car. Soaking into the seats, running down the side of the centre console. Gumming up the gear selector lever. If you are coastal a flock of seagulls can be mighty devastating.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
The roof when up has taken a few hits from flying rats and the like.
The car does get to the seaside on a fairly frequent basis, but the roof is usually closed.
But it wouldn't particularly ''worry'' me, just the obvious inconvenience at that moment in time.
Little different to walking or cycling around and being crapped on. Which has happened...

·
Registered
35,151 Posts
Our daughter got bird bombed last week when were eating in the back garden. Not very appetising.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Always used to leave the hood up, or fit the tonneaux cover, when parking my old TR4A or MGB, because whatever car I own is always targeted by incontinent vultures.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Sweeping generalisation but...

Waitrose carpark - hood down
Aldi/Lidl carpark - hood up
Tesco/Sainsbury car park - depends on how much shopping I need

Regarding birds... it’s easier to wipe clean leather seats than it is to clean the hood.

Reactions: jparkin486
1 - 20 of 43 Posts