Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to treat my G to something special before the winter and arranged for it to be properly washed, polished and waxed. The guys doing it were auto detailing enthusiasts and worked on my car for about 6 hours. When I came to pick it up I was blown away by how good it looked. It looked far better than when it was new. HOWEVER, there was this slight issue with the incredibly soft Alfa paint on the front bumper. When they polished it the paint had simply come off. They were baffled and upset about this and said they had never had it happen before. They also showed me that there were slight color differences between the front bumper and hood, that the bumper had started to oxidize and indicated that it might have been replaced. Also, they showed me that there were dust in the paint above some of the windows which had to come from the paint job itself.

I'm going to talk with my dealer about this paint issue as I'm told it is not supposed to be like this on a new car. I'm not overly optimistic about them acknowledging the issue, but luckily the detailers said this was really bad for them, didn't want any money for the job, and told me they will pay me for any costs I would have to get this fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
There can be paint differences betwen plastic and sheet metal on a new car. I have seen a couple Giuliettas and other brands whit this problem. One reason for this is that it´s not painted at the same time as the car, another is that the manufacturer havent done a great job matching the paint (plastic vs metal) and finally it can in some situations apear that the color is more different than it is beucause of the angels of the body panels and how the light strikes it.
I have a white giulietta and i can see a small (very small) difference in the paint betwen the bumpers and the car itself.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am sorry for that mate, but are you sure that the guys working on it didn't cause it? I wouldn't offer to fix the issue if it wasn't my fault...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sorry for that mate, but are you sure that the guys working on it didn't cause it? I wouldn't offer to fix the issue if it wasn't my fault...
I guess it depends how you look at it. They did in fact cause it because if they hadn't polished the car it wouldn't have happened, but they have polished a lot of cars before and used the same products on the car and this had not happened before. They say the paint simply came off when doing applying Scholl S30 finishing polish using low rpm so as to not overheat the paint.

As to why they would pay for the damage even if they felt it wasn't their fault I don't know. Maybe they would like to have a good reputation? Nevertheless it doesn't matter that much for me who pays for it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's unfortunate yes. But looking at the bright side, your car looks amazing with Cristal clear paint everywhere else. And the front paint problem sounds like it is only a question of time till it's fixed since you are dealing with pleasant and non cocky individuals.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The reason the "Alfa red" was removed from the market (and still is in Sweden, Denmark and Finland I think) is because of the quality problems of exactly that type...

I'm sorry you had to experience it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What production date is your car? i had mine waxed during the weekend and luckily everything is in perfect condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What production date is your car? i had mine waxed during the weekend and luckily everything is in perfect condition.
I don't know. Where can I find it? It was delivered in the beginning of August this year. And yeah, it does look fantastic when properly waxed!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Well, if you ordered this year that you shall have the improved version. Which makes me scared a bit now...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was in stock when I ordered it, but I don't think it would have been in stock for half a year before they sold it.. So it is probably produced sometime in the second quarter of 2011.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Price qoute to respray front bumper is £854.. Hopefully it will be on the warranty, poor guy who did it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got two doors repaired and resprayed (had an accident) for EUR500 from the dealer. Surely it can't be more expensive than that...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got two doors repaired and resprayed (had an accident) for EUR500 from the dealer. Surely it can't be more expensive than that...
One would think that, but this is Norway. The car itself cost EUR41500 and a Big Mac costs EUR5.82 (The Big Mac index: Currency comparisons, to go | The Economist). 79% of the price quote was for the work of disassembling the bumper, actually painting it and then putting it back together. The last 21% was for the actual paint..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alfa has accepted this as a valid warranty claim so they will pay for the repaint. Guess that means we should all treat our Alfa Rosso Giuliettas with great care.. It's booked for repaint within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Proves to me Fiat know their paint sux... :tut:

Surprisingly enough, my Rosso Alfa is marked... BASF. The Germans strike again ;).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts