Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have just bought a 1750 berlina which has been stood since 2001 (apparently not started since). had a look today, checked the compression everything good there accept the 2nd cylinder was a little weak. then found the throttle mechanism fully seized, fixed. then found the carbs seized almost fully open. fixed. and started her up with fresh vertically fed fuel straight to the carbs. started without too much fuss but with a hint of a miss fire, so far im pretty happy.

anyway the valves, i have heard that sodium filled valves (especially concerning maserati's) can have a tendancy to disintergrate on start up after being stood for a while. anybody heard anything to back this up??

next step (if valves seem ok) is to check reason for empty radiator, and to unstick siezed clutch.

would really appreciate any thoughts on the valves, and anything else i might have missed.

thanks from a new member, smab789.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
haven't heard that about the valves. Sodium filled are only on the exhaust side.

What are the compression readings? Did you do this with all plugs removed, on a hot engine, and with full throttle? If not you will need to do it again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, i did the compression reading cold before i even tried te engine. and i thought it was full throttle untill later when io realised that the carbs were jammed. and all the plugs were out yes. i'll do it again tomoro once i have had it running for a bit. thanks.

ohh they were on around 160 - 200 (except 2nd cylinder which was on 120)

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
the readings will change on a hot engine, so doubt if you will get to 200!
160 would be v. good. Main thing is they are all within 5% to max. 10% of one another.
Anyway when you do it, if no 2 cylinder (or any other for that matter) is still down, then drop a bit of oil down that cylinder plug hole and do a test on that cylinder again, that will let you know roughly if the rings are at fault for the low compression.

Have you checked your valve gaps (tappets)?

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Must have picked up that ebay one, well done looks like a good buy at that price, not many Berlinas left now :thumbs:

As usual with these old Alfa's the mechanicals will be OK, it's the body which will absorb your time and money in the next few years. Good luck:)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I hope that some oil have already been dripped into the cylinders before trying to turn the engine over.
I've never heard of the solium valves disintegrate, either. Maybe it's an issue on turbo engines, but that I haven't heard either.
If the cooling system is empty I would start with filling the system with some radiator cleaner which removes calcium. After about a day drain and flush.
Before starting the engine again check tappets, drain oil, chance filter and refill with a cheap mineral (no syntetic) oil - it shall be change after 5-600 miles.
Then check compresion with a hot engine.
There are several ways to free a clutch; one is violent - fix body firmly and start hot engine in gear and full trootle - the other more slow - remove gearbox from engine and presure plate from frywheel and knok the driveplate free.
Good luck
Erik

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot guys, great advise.

did the compression again today, all pretty good 4th at 165, 3rd was around 175 so was 2nd and the first was at 180.

still missing quite badly tho, looks like its the first cylinder, and its sparking fine so will have to check the carbs agian and probably need to give them a full strip and clean. i guess its fairly likely that one jet/needle was going to be fouled up.

seems to be holding coolant too so thats a bonus.

ive been doing alot of cutting and welding on citroen DS' and morris minors recently so im not in too much of panis body wise at the moment, hard to know untill i give it a proper clean up tho.

and yup, it was the ebay car, the pictures were much more truthful than the description. "rust free" hahaha yeah alright then.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
...good for you, those are very healthy compression readings:)

try swopping out no. 1 ignition lead before you dismantle the carbs ....

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Only just picked up on this thread, Is this the blue '70 LHD car on a Y plate?

I was tempted, but don't have the space to store it, and it would only have been standing around for a good while longer anyway, as i'm soon to embark on a resto of my current and long term 2000 Berlina, so having another one would only have been a distraction ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats the one yeah,
going pretty well so far, i think i've done most of the welding thats needed for MOT just sorting out the calipers (nightmare) then engine can go back in, hopefully be on the road before december. she's fairly tatty but will have to put up with that for a bit as i just want to get in and drive her. will get to the aesthetics at a later date.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Good man, nice to see its gone to an enthusiastic owner, and not yet another one that has gone to a dealer/breaker for its mechanicals.

Keep us posted on your progress :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts