Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 1828 Posts

·
Administrator
45,626 Posts
Did my swab and whatnot this morning. Went OK. The instructional video wasn't as stark as some have described it. The throat swab was just to brush against your tonsils - which I know can make you gag a bit, but I'd been given the impression you had to deep throat it!
Nose wasn't what you'd call comfortable, but it was OK.

The survey you complete afterwards was OK too - except for one set of questions which were ridiculously worded with a ton of double negatives. They could have made these questions so much more easily understood.

Did I didn't go shopping?
Did I didn't go to a pharmacy?

I work in clinical studies. If I saw questions written like that in a case report form I would immediately assume our data was going to be garbage.

Reactions: stan laurel

·
Administrator
45,626 Posts
Neither in this case. The NHS is running a random sampling of people throughout the UK, and I was selected as part of that.

To be honest, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me - the paperwork makes clear that this is a test of whether you have COVID-19 at the time of the test, not a test of whether you have ever had it. So the utility of that information seems limited.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
It will show the ratio of symptomatic to asymptomatic infections in the population at large. A most useful metric I would have thought.

·
Registered
37,866 Posts
How would you do a swab test on your tonsils if like me you don't have any?

As they were removed when I was 8 years old I don't think there is much chance of me finding them now.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
How would you do a swab test on your tonsils if like me you don't have any?

As they were removed when I was 8 years old I don't think there is much chance of me finding them now.
You swab the area of your throat where they would have been.

·
Administrator
45,626 Posts
It will show the ratio of symptomatic to asymptomatic infections in the population at large. A most useful metric I would have thought.
Except it will only give any information on that if the person happens to be infected at the very time they take the test. Unless the expectation is that currently, not just 'at points over the last few months', a huge proportion of the population has COVID-19, then the power of their investigation is going to be very low, is it not? That said, I don't know what their sample size is.

·
Registered
9,185 Posts
Except it will only give any information on that if the person happens to be infected at the very time they take the test. Unless the expectation is that currently, not just 'at points over the last few months', a huge proportion of the population has COVID-19, then the power of their investigation is going to be very low, is it not? That said, I don't know what their sample size is.
I'm by no means an expert so I'm not going to argue with you but it does seem to me that figuring out how many unreported cases there are, even as a snapshot, is important to understand the actual spread.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,810
And just when we thought things were getting better over here in N.Ireland this happens :

Sinn Féin criticised over funeral attendance

Michelle O'Neill defends funeral attendance

WTF were they thinking ?....it's Cummingsgate all over again......I am disgusted at SF's arrogance.....they are going to lose a hell of a lot of support from this stupidity....and hell slap it up them.
And their explanation for attendance just doesn't wash.

This is not an anti Sinn Fein rant......I have given them votes in the past...I can't see me doing that again.

And just watch what happens in the coming week....as the "cancelled" Twelfth marching season approaches.....people will say if the Deputy First Minister can do what she wants...so can we.

Very depressing. :(

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
UK Government 2020
When eating or drinking out with people you do not live with (and who are not in your support bubble), you should keep to the wider guidance on group sizes: up to two households indoors, and up to either two households or six people from more than two households outdoors.

Groucho Marx 1935
The first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
UK Government 2020
When eating or drinking out with people you do not live with (and who are not in your support bubble), you should keep to the wider guidance on group sizes: up to two households indoors, and up to either two households or six people from more than two households outdoors.

Groucho Marx 1935
The first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract
You need this clause as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Still no sign of Clay....
Hopefully he’s okay.
awol 24 days. Noticed his absence too.
A while back someone said to him "Where do you find such tinfoil hattery?" (non having a PoP at anyone ;))
And bless Clays take-it-on-the-chin-little-cotton-socks he donned his profile with the Tin Hat picture.
I admired that. Made me smile. Kudos for not being up yer own ass kind of thing (y)

1801 - 1820 of 1828 Posts