Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1633 Posts

·
Registered
11,448 Posts
Do as I say, Not as I do:
From the article:
"Police spoke to Dominic Cummings about breaching the government’s lockdown rules after he was seen in Durham, 264 miles from his London home, despite having had symptoms of coronavirus, the Guardian can reveal.

Officers approached Boris Johnson’s key adviser days after he was seen rushing out of Downing Street when the prime minister tested positive for the virus at the end of March, a joint investigation by the Guardian and the Mirror has found.
Breaking lockdown rules has been a resigning issue for senior officials.*
Prof Neil Ferguson, the epidemiologist whose modelling prompted the lockdown, quit as a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) for flouting physical distancing rules when he was visited by his girlfriend."

* so obviously Cummings has no other option, having broken his own rules, than to resign.
(And hopefully disappear from politics and public life indefinitely.)

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Back on topic....it does worry me that we will have a second spike of cases due to the number of idiots that don't seem to be able to abide by the recently amended rules...which to most people seem pretty simple. We have neighbours that seemed to understand the rules until Mr Johnson's latest talk....now they think it's ok to have friends and relatives around because Boris said they could.....HE DIDN'T. ...and then they post pics on Facebook...and wonder why they get flamed for the next three days...after which they took the pics down. There are people in other threads on this very forum happily saying that they are doing things that contravene the latest advice....."as long as we socially distance it's fine"....well it's not. We either stick by the rules or go back to how we were (full lockdown) for a long time. I'm supposed to be starting back at work on the 1st (when the non essential shops can re open)....I really want too so my company does not go bust...but I won't be able to is the R number goes over one...and it is creeping up. So look up the rules on Gov.net if you don't know them and remember it's one person from each of two households in an open public place (not one of your gardens)...and essential journeys only ...until the 1st ...when to can go to the freshly opened shops. Apart from driving further for exercise, the driving rules have not changed. The more we stick to the "rules" the faster we get back to "normal" ......whatever that may be.
Slightly drunk rant over!

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Make your mind up alfaitalia. A few posts ago you were preaching on how to get around the rules.
Just use common sense and keep your distance and you'll not go far wrong.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Nope....I was supposed to be inferring that there are some silly loopholes that people take can advantage of...the ones I mentioned were all spoken about on the Ranganation this week! Does not mean I approve. I'll admit that my family (wife, son, me) did see my parents the other week in their "garden"....but since their garden is about 10 acres with a public footpath running right across it and I saw them from about 50 yards.......I don't feel that guilty. Next doors garden is not that big and chinking glasses sat side by side is, I feel, is slightly more of a risk than I took. Lol.
Some of the rules are mad....but that's the way it is. If people had more common sense they could relax the rules further....(it's clearly silly that I can only see one parent at a time at somewhere other than our own homes/gardens.......but see one 10 minutes after the other) but the rules have to be suitable for the thickest common denominator!.....you know the sort...too broke to buy soap but can spend a ton and a half a month on sky tv and fags...and usually have more kids than teeth!....we have to abide by silly rules so THEY might be able to understand them!

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Do as I say, Not as I do:
From the article:
"Police spoke to Dominic Cummings about breaching the government’s lockdown rules after he was seen in Durham, 264 miles from his London home, despite having had symptoms of coronavirus, the Guardian can reveal.

Officers approached Boris Johnson’s key adviser days after he was seen rushing out of Downing Street when the prime minister tested positive for the virus at the end of March, a joint investigation by the Guardian and the Mirror has found.
Breaking lockdown rules has been a resigning issue for senior officials.*
Prof Neil Ferguson, the epidemiologist whose modelling prompted the lockdown, quit as a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) for flouting physical distancing rules when he was visited by his girlfriend."

* so obviously Cummings has no other option, having broken his own rules, than to resign.
(And hopefully disappear from politics and public life indefinitely.)
I'm no longer shocked by the actions of some of these people in responsible positions, it's almost becoming the norm now.
Of course he has to resign. People like him should be leading by example. As simple as that.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
It would be very easy for Cummings to dodge this: "my parents are elderly and needed help". He's clearly done the wrong thing, but he's smart enough to wriggle out of it.

People round here have been having "yard drinks" since the start of this. Bring your own beer, sit well separated in a stable yard, no problems.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Above all it spells out a message that the politicians, scientists, etc never saw the virus as a treat, or it was never as bad as it was made out to be if so many was willing the risk of passing it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
This was back in late March when most of us were heeding the advice at that time.
People in responsible positions have to be whiter than white.
Odd that it's come out now as the lockdown restrictions are being eased and people are less scared.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This was back in late March when most of us were heeding the advice at that time.
People in responsible positions have to be whiter than white.
Odd that it's come out now as the lockdown restrictions are being eased and people are less scared.
Everyone that was caught breaking the rules & was fined should be able to appeal it if those who set the example can’t follow their own rules and haven’t been punished by the legislation themselves. What does that say for democracy

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
The reason we used to have high standards in politics (or, more accurately, the notion that if you got caught you fell on your sword without any hesitation) was simple. It wasn't that we expected people to act like the Pope - it was the recognition that if you don't show the very highest standards of responsibility at the "top" then you lose the ability to tell others what to do. Therefore any slip of the veil and - without hesitation - you went off to spend more time with your family.

What we have now - unfortunately - is an acceptance that people at the top can do what they like without consequence.

Sleep with a stripper and pay her off? ok. Knock up a waitress and carry on regardless? ok. Have some dodgy financial side dealings where you benefit from policy you can direct? ok. Head out during a lockdown? ok.

It's enabled by a combination of chancers and spivs at the top who spot the opportunity, and apathy and - in some cases - active support for the behaviour, by voters.

The trouble is, you can't stop the slide. Once you've got on the slope - you can't then control the depth of descent. It becomes self fulfilling because the moral high ground has gone and there's no measure left as to what is unacceptable.

Obviously we have historical examples of the sort of people who sink to the top in these situations, and the consequences.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
I’m bored of washing my hands. Can I wash someone else’s hands, instead?

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Above all it spells out a message that the politicians, scientists, etc never saw the virus as a treat, or it was never as bad as it was made out to be if so many was willing the risk of passing it on.

No it doesn't. It didn't last time you tried to sell that agenda, and it still doesn't now.

It means he's a pillock. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
11,448 Posts
No it doesn't. It didn't last time you tried to sell that agenda, and it still doesn't now.

Except to add that he's an arrogant, smug, hypocritical pillock who believes that rules are for the little people he misleads and manipulates, not for important folk like him.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Except to add that he's an arrogant, smug, hypocritical pillock who believes that rules are for the little people he misleads and manipulates, not for important folk like him.
Does that make him immune from infection?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

The pillock part is your thought agenda Bazza. To me he thought it was BS as he obviously thought the risk was minor to drive as far as he did and make person 2 person contact once he reached the journeys end.
In the same way you’re attacking my posts, again. Because of the way YOU think

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It would be very easy for Cummings to dodge this: "my parents are elderly and needed help". He's clearly done the wrong thing, but he's smart enough to wriggle out of it.

People round here have been having "yard drinks" since the start of this. Bring your own beer, sit well separated in a stable yard, no problems.
He's certainly arrogant enough to try and wriggle out of it. Surely if 'my parents are elderly and needed help' is true then the last thing they needed was 2 infected people to turn up at the door

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Plus there was no “exemptions” to the rules ( as the article points out ) this reminds me of John Selden’s table - talk. Do as I say not as I do

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
The pillock part is your thought agenda Bazza. To me he thought it was BS as he obviously thought the risk was minor to drive as far as he did and make person 2 person contact once he reached the journeys end.
In the same way you’re attacking my posts, again. Because of the way YOU think

It's just the stupidest argument.

What other things do you want to pick? What other laws and regulations that, because a politician has broken them, that must mean that the law shouldn't be valid?

Theft?
Fraud?
Murder?
Treason?
Embezzlement?
Sexual abuse?

1441 - 1460 of 1633 Posts