Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1633 Posts

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I think if people are told 2 weeks quarantine is what they must do, most people will do it even without any policing of it.
I hope so....I would. But im not going abroad this year....no scared of contracting it.....but too much hassle if the virus gets bad again and I have to cancel and fight to get money back (many people ae not getting money back without a fight according to TV the other night) and possible restrictions on what i can do when Im there. Sunny old UK for me this year!!!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Debit. But covered by ABTA and fully insured too.
Have also googled Villaplus, and there's no mention anywhere on forums of them letting people down. I'm not too worried.
You can always do a chargeback on the debit card as well.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Debit. But covered by ABTA and fully insured too.
Have also googled Villaplus, and there's no mention anywhere on forums of them letting people down. I'm not too worried.
You sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Jet2 were fantastic with my refund. No hassle at all.
The credit card company on the other hand seem to want to hang on to all that money for as long as they can before transferring it to my linked current account on my instruction. I'm told it should be next week.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I should imagine due to the current climate that the money SHOULD be returned. Looking at the posts on Trust Pilot it appears they could be taking the money off Peter to pay Paul.

If it’s ATOL protected you’ll get your money back if they go bust
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
We were due to go to the in laws in the USA over Easter. Virgin just rolled the flights forward 1 year to Easter 2021 for us. There was no hotel or other booking to deal with so that worked ok.

We had put 900 quid down deposit with BA Holidays for a Mexico holiday in August so that's also been credit noted for a rebook when we (and they) know what's what. Just have to hope BA don't go bankrupt in the interim.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I am meant to be going to Eurodisney next week.

So far no news from lastminute.com wih regard to the Eurostar and hotel and nothing from Disney either. I have messaged them and no reply and cannot get through on the Phone to either.

So two dissapointed kids and £1200 out of pocket. :(

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
I am meant to be going to Eurodisney next week.

So far no news from lastminute.com wih regard to the Eurostar and hotel and nothing from Disney either. I have messaged them and no reply and cannot get through on the Phone to either.

So two dissapointed kids and £1200 out of pocket. :(
Feel sorry for you and the kids there, hope you manage to get a refund. Did you credit card it?

·
Administrator
60,242 Posts
My daughter was going to New Zealand for March break and had to cancel the night before the flight. My other daughter was meeting her, traveling from Australia. Air New Zealand gave back all the money, Air Canada gave a voucher that has to be used before Dec 2020. She doesn’t want to travel by Dec so I hope she doesn’t end up losing her money.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
We were supposed to be flying to Denver on June 3rd. Virgin Altlantic has kept out ticket open as credit to be used up to 30th September 2022 (if they're still in business!); our current plan is to do exactly what we planned for June 2020 in June 2021.

Some small consolation is that the UKP has fallen 5% against the USD since we booked, so we're getting back more than we paid, & as our accommodation in Yellowstone NP was cancelled by them we're getting early access to 2021 bookings.

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
No, I paid by debit unfortunately. :(
You've still got options, its just a bit more difficult. You should contact your bank ASAP if you haven't done so already.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I always thought the golden rule was to put any big purchase on a credit card for the protection it affords you.
Perhaps I've watched too much of Martin Lewis over the years...

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Def good advise....you get next to no protection from a debit card. Some places won't take them though. I won't take credit card payment on a caravan. The card company take 2 or 3 percent of each transaction....that's how they make their money of course....but it's big chunk of my profit gone if someone pays for a 20 grand plus van on a credit card. We used to charge a card payment fee to someone wanting to pay on credit card...then they made that illegal last year...so we only take them up to £3000 now. We only get charged a flat 30p on a debit card transaction...no matter how much it is.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I know there are people who'd rather not have a credit card full stop. We all have our own ways of managing our money that works best for us.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I have one, but I only ever use it for buying stuff from the internet due to the extra protection. I have been offered a higher limit but never took it up, as it was extremely rare that I make a large purchase. :(

The annoying thing is that we rarely travel outside of the UK. This would have only been the second time that the kids have been away.

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
I always thought the golden rule was to put any big purchase on a credit card for the protection it affords you.
Perhaps I've watched too much of Martin Lewis over the years...
And the kickbacks.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,440
I have one, but I only ever use it for buying stuff from the internet due to the extra protection. I have been offered a higher limit but never took it up, as it was extremely rare that I make a large purchase. :(

The annoying thing is that we rarely travel outside of the UK. This would have only been the second time that the kids have been away.
We use the credit card for every purchase no matter how small.
Can't remember last time I handled real physical money

1421 - 1440 of 1633 Posts