Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1633 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,634 Posts
It’s not that easy. You need to take a pass out from a person in order to give the their car. Hand them the keys etc.

We’re locking the site down today. They’re reluctant to tell us what’s going on behind the closed doors.
They still reckon people need to work to keep the business alive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your boss should be looking out for you, you have a heart condition he or she should be sending you home and paying you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
It’s official, I’m now clashed as a furlough worker as of today. The company will pay 80% of my wage until further notice or on returning back to work. Doesn’t mean I have job security


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
45,538 Posts
Let's start with Boris's message itself. He said nothing about it being only key workers who should travel to work. All he said was that you should only travel to work if it "absolutely cannot be done at home".

The official guidance document released by the cabinet office makes exactly the same statement:

However, the front page of that website:

Makes this claim, despite it not being backed up by their own documentation:
Only go outside for food, health reasons or essential work
It looks like the people who administer that page have recognised their mistake. The statement on the front page now matches the statement in the document - no mention of 'essential work', only that it cannot be done from home.

Meanwhile, the social media in my town is alive with people seemingly making up rules themselves, swearing blind that these are the rules Boris stated last night, and absolutely castigating other people for apparently flouting them.

Highlights are:
The person writing in block capitals and swearing viciously because people from the same household are accompanying each other to the shop, when it is clearly stated that only one person can leave a household at a time.
Except of course that it isn't.

And the man asking with angry perplexity why a list of shops in town which he just walked past are open.
They're all food shops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,448 Posts
It’s official, I’m now clashed as a furlough worker as of today. The company will pay 80% of my wage until further notice or on returning back to work. Doesn’t mean I have job security


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's good news for your health and that of your other half, and let's hope this nightmare will all be over asap and that our jobs and businesses will still be there when it is.

(although isn't it UK Gov who will pay 80% of your wages and your employer should be paying you the other 20% ???)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,405 Posts
The neighbour just told me her husband is at the hospital saying goodbye to his father who’s not winning against virus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,420 Posts
I think that's good news for your health and that of your other half, and let's hope this nightmare will all be over asap and that our jobs and businesses will still be there when it is.

(although isn't it UK Gov who will pay 80% of your wages and your employer should be paying you the other 20% ???)
On the web GOV pages it states the Furlough payment is when a company can’t afford to payout in a nutshell. It also states they don’t have to pay you the extra 20%
They kept us in work until they had confirmation that the Government was not just blowing smoke out of their ass.
Obviously they care very little for their work force. Catch Covid. Do you have a sick note? No note, no pay.
I took two years off because of a heart attack. No ESA payments was due to me because not having made enough national insurance contributions between 2015-17 being self employed then - not going down that road again.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Sounds like a tense time in the UK. We in New Zealand are about to enter 4 weeks of lockdown self-isolation.
Essentially in an attempt to prevent widespread community spreading and an eventual overload of our health systems. Which like most countries are always near maximum capacity.

No shops except supermarkets, fuel stations and some dairy's (local corner general store sort of thing) are open. Only essential service jobs are operating. Emergency services and people involved with food production and distribution (not cafes, restaurants or take-aways.) Not allowed to go 'for a drive' even if it is just yourself. Not allowed to travel to a holiday home, get in your car to drive to the beach to then go for a walk. People with boats are not allowed to leave where they are. Restricted movement between regions. Probably road-blocks on state highways I would think.

Government has brought out a wage subsidy plan. A fixed amount per employee at something like $560 but the employer can only get that if they pay the employee 80% of standard wage. To be fair, the loss of 20% of standard wage probably would be what the average person spends on fuel and car maintenance to get to/from work. Which of course will not be happening. Government and banks have also agreed to a 6 month home loan 'holiday' period. The money still needs to be paid back of course.

It's all very well if a single country can get out of the problem that they are in. Like if NZ's 4 week lockdown plan works. But with restrictions continuing on international travel and some trade it will continue to be a big hit to the economy and many people with jobs especially in the tourism sector. As it has been for the last month since travel restrictions were put in place. I guess local tourism could start up again if a country was free of the virus but kept the boarders closed.

Good luck, where ever you are, and what ever you do. Given how good many of us are at keeping our trusty Alfa's running, surely we can make it through this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
Ideally you should shop once a week for food.

However the supermarkets are having to ration some essentials such as milk. Therefore shopping twice or three times a week will become the norm.
Made more complicated by Sainsburys not rationing by per person but group even if it is a pensioner couple or parents with children. So the single person/purchaser gets a better deal. Can see that leading to a lot more fiddling around and splitting the shopping across more than one till
 
41 - 60 of 1633 Posts
Top