Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1633 Posts

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
I'm not sure the message last night with regards to travelling to work was as clear cut as it's being painted in this thread. I think once you look at what was said and what is written in fact, they've done a pretty poor job of making it clear.

Let's start with Boris's message itself. He said nothing about it being only key workers who should travel to work. All he said was that you should only travel to work if it "absolutely cannot be done at home".

The official guidance document released by the cabinet office makes exactly the same statement:

However, the front page of that website:

Makes this claim, despite it not being backed up by their own documentation:
Only go outside for food, health reasons or essential work

This leaves the definition of 'essential work' in a lot of doubt. If by that they meant key workers, why didn't they use the term key workers? Do they mean essential to the country, to your business, to keep your job, to keep your income?

I think employees are entirely at the mercy of their employer in the space of work that can't be done from home. If their employer says they're staying open, and won't let them stop work for the governments 80%, they have little choice.

While I think some of CLay's own opinions on this whole thing are verging on the ridiculous, in this case he's very much stuck between a rock and a hard place. Maybe the opinions he has espoused are an attempt to make the decision he is having to take seem less bad to him? It's almost Stockholm Syndrome.

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
We took the dogs for a walk this morning. Whenever we passed other people, we managed to step aside to maintain our distance, albeit while feeling a bit daft about it.

Apart from the jogger who came along while we were doing just that, and threaded his way between the two small groups of people passing each other. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and suggest he just couldn't really think how to deal with it, but it would have cost him 5 seconds to wait until we weren't alongside each other allowing him to give a wider berth.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
There is a petition here Petition: Include self-employed in statutory sick pay during Coronavirus

not sure if it goes far enough.

In some other countries self employed have been guaranteed 80% of their usual income, just as employees have.
It should be easy to decide upon this figure based on tax returns.
Yes, the Government really need to act, and act fast on this. We're clearly not ''alll in this together''.
I'm one of the 5.7 million. It'd certainly help some of us to sleep better at night knowing there'll be some sort of safety net if needed, rather than the sweet FA we currently have.
It's somewhat easier to go into full isolated lockdown if you know you'll be getting paid no matter what.

And as usual the majority of the media had cloth ears last night when Boris was going on about travelling to work.
They took it as only travelling for ''essential work'' when he said nothing of the sort. Gove's confirmed it this morning.
You can travel to work only if you can't work from home. Building sites are also allowed to carry on working provided the social distancing is adhered to. At least for now. This could change in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I am in a quandary. On the one hand we are told to try and shop only once a week. OK that is probably doable. However newsagents are allowed to stay open and as I found this morning daily papers are still being printed. Purchasing a daily paper does, by definition, means going to the shop each day. There is no local newsagent who delivers, the last one closed down when the council demolished the local precinct and the replacement shops only have a Tesco Local/ Fish and Chip shop/hairdressers/community hub(including Post Office counter). I compromised and took my daily (permitted) constitutional, ensuring I kept well away from other pedestrians, in the direction of the local filling station. The papers are, as is typical of a filling station, in covered racks outside, so by using the night service window to hand over the prepaid vouchers I was able to collect the papers without any social contact. However will I have broken the rules if I repeat this each day?

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I think the bottom line in all this is to keep 2 metres away from EVERYONE (the people you live with excluded).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm also self employed and in a "high risk" group. I spoke to my Doctor and while I feel fit and healthy and my condition hardly effects me she strongly advised I follow government advice, so, after a struggle I have decided health is the more important and I'm going to isolate myself as much as possible. I work in construction and do a bit of teaching as well I cant avoid coming into contact with strangers so it means I've lost my income.
Fortunately, the mortgage is paid but I still have bills to pay not to mention clients I have " let down " and might not get back.
Just hope our illustrious leader sees sense and treats the self employed the same as employees ie 80% income based on last 3 years tax returns.
I tried to contact Job Centre Plus as advised on Gov website to see about Employment Support Allowance ( about £75.00 a week ! ) which being self employed I can claim provided I've paid enough NI which I have. However, as suspected after 2 hours of dialing different departments getting stuck on automated merry go rounds and getting cut off I gave up.
Its all very well our leaders saying they "will do what ever it takes" but at present the infrastructure simply isn't there.
The only think I can look forward to is taking the car out for a spin in the sunshine but what will I do when I need fuel ?:unsure:

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Its all very well our leaders saying they "will do what ever it takes" but at present the infrastructure simply isn't there.
The only think I can look forward to is taking the car out for a spin in the sunshine but what will I do when I need fuel ?:unsure:
I'm not sure you're right there. Unless your journey is specifically to work, to shop, or for medical need you are not supposed to drive anywhere either, despite that of course keeping you insulated from others.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I take your point, I was assuming whilst in your own car if you don't get out you would be OK as no one is within 2 m ? I will have to go when shopping for essentials .
I have noticed over the passed few days alot of exotic cars Ferraris, McClarens out an about.
I have put it down to bored footballers !

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
If you're still allowed out to exercise, walk the dog and even travel to work, just going for a drive in your car shouldn't be of any concern

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks ronan.
I may not see eye-2-eye with a lot of people here. But I do respect your own personal opinions even if I don’t agree on them all

Stay safe all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It depends on the job you are doing being essential, not if the income from that job is essential to you.
The only reason it is impossible for you to keep social distance and maintain it is that you're not even trying,to be frank.Just keep away from people ,its not rocket science
It’s not that easy. You need to take a pass out from a person in order to give the their car. Hand them the keys etc.

We’re locking the site down today. They’re reluctant to tell us what’s going on behind the closed doors.
They still reckon people need to work to keep the business alive.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It’s not that easy. You need to take a pass out from a person in order to give the their car. Hand them the keys etc.

We’re locking the site down today. They’re reluctant to tell us what’s going on behind the closed doors.
They still reckon people need to work to keep the business alive.

Why do you need close contact to transfer a pass one way and the keys the other? Whilst it might be a bit embarrassing,unnatural and awkward to do it by them putting the pass down and moving away,you checking ,then putting the keys down and moving away, it is relatively easy. Not having a dig at you ,its BCA who should be organising this if they want to stay open

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
if you filling you car you should always use the plastic gloves, this virus is spreading from lots of hands touching things

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
my workplace has been closed , science research, my wifes school has shut and my sons also, so were all in the house together, only going out from exercise and food

Heard this morning that my work could be closed for 5 months !

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yes, the Government really need to act, and act fast on this. We're clearly not ''alll in this together''.
I'm one of the 5.7 million. It'd certainly help some of us to sleep better at night knowing there'll be some sort of safety net if needed, rather than the sweet FA we currently have.
It's somewhat easier to go into full isolated lockdown if you know you'll be getting paid no matter what.

And as usual the majority of the media had cloth ears last night when Boris was going on about travelling to work.
They took it as only travelling for ''essential work'' when he said nothing of the sort. Gove's confirmed it this morning.
You can travel to work only if you can't work from home. Building sites are also allowed to carry on working provided the social distancing is adhered to. At least for now. This could change in the coming weeks.
This morning I saw guys digging up the roads, a street sweeper, numerous buses, and work vans (sign written one’s) on the job or going to a job.
My friends MOT station has NOT been messaged by the ministry to close down either.
Essential? Or confusing ?

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
This morning I saw guys digging up the roads, a street sweeper, numerous buses, and work vans (sign written one’s) on the job or going to a job.
My friends MOT station has NOT been messaged by the ministry to close down either.
Essential? Or confusing ?

It's currently not "essential", that's the point. If you can't do your job from home, you're allowed to travel to it (not to places he's already mentioned).
Clearly there's an issue if you're reliant on public transport.
With the way things are going through, it's bound to be only essential workers soon, maybe even at the next briefing.

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
How can the homeless stay at home?

I hear a lot of them have been locked down in requisitioned hotel rooms.

21 - 40 of 1633 Posts