Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1633 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Sorry, but I’m in work again today amongst the millions of others that need to keep working that isn’t possible to do from home.

It’s impossible to create such social distance & have to maintain that at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
It's a tough call to make, but hopefully the vast majority will just stay home - leaving only essential workers out there.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Sorry, but I’m in work again today amongst the millions of others that need to keep working that isn’t possible to do from home.

It’s impossible to create such social distance & have to maintain that at all times.

I haven't looked at the government loans and advances scheme - could your business temporarily close and take advantage of any of this?

What line of work are you in? Is it something to do with car auctions?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is your work essential ?
Steve is correct.....if your employed work is not essential it must be closed....and the government pay 80% of your wages.

Though self employed seem to have been left out in the cold....they need the same help as the employed.

Sports Direct have treated their staff as per usual with disdain and forced them into work for their "essential" business..... despicable scumbag Ashley.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I haven't looked at the government loans and advances scheme - could your business temporarily close and take advantage of any of this?

What line of work are you in? Is it something to do with car auctions?
Yes, it’s British Car Auction. It’s a huge company turning over millions of cars each year.
We had a meeting yesterday. They understand that people would need to self isolate due to health conditions. 350 people have already done so.
HR are going to look into the pro’s & con’s of this 80 wage allowance.
We still have a strong customer demand, they say, so need to keep the business going in order to keep peoples jobs as of when it returns to normality. If that ever happens.

The whole U.K. is literally playing it by ear.
After that speech at 8pm my wife got a text saying the clothing factory she works at is closed until further notice. That business was struggling as it is. Now she’s out of a job. I can’t afford to be unemployed too.

·
Registered
11,448 Posts
Is your work essential ?
Steve is correct.....if your employed work is not essential it must be closed....and the government pay 80% of your wages.

Though self employed seem to have been left out in the cold....they need the same help as the employed.
There is a petition here Petition: Include self-employed in statutory sick pay during Coronavirus

not sure if it goes far enough.

In some other countries self employed have been guaranteed 80% of their usual income, just as employees have.
It should be easy to decide upon this figure based on tax returns.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I work for a company providing key services so employees, where possible, were sent home last week to work. Key departments that are office based were split up between buildings and the central canteens shut. In addition, those that need to stay, if possible, were moved around to take into social distancing. In addition, those who are classified as vulnerable were sent home for 12 weeks regardless of whether they could work or not.

My brother is a civil servant processing visas. They appear to have done little to protect employees and my brother lives with 3 vulnerable people. He’s gone to work on the train this morning. I wonder if the government will take the lead and close non-essential departments?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have heart disease, my wife has chronic asthma. We may be told something new when I go in work soon enough

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it’s British Car Auction. It’s a huge company turning over millions of cars each year.
We had a meeting yesterday. They understand that people would need to self isolate due to health conditions. 350 people have already done so.
HR are going to look into the pro’s & con’s of this 80 wage allowance.
We still have a strong customer demand, they say, so need to keep the business going in order to keep peoples jobs as of when it returns to normality. If that ever happens.

The whole U.K. is literally playing it by ear.
After that speech at 8pm my wife got a text saying the clothing factory she works at is closed until further notice. That business was struggling as it is. Now she’s out of a job. I can’t afford to be unemployed too.

Clay....you might not believe me but I do sympathise....a friend of mine has just lost his job at a cruise line fitters....he was expecting the 80% Government payout.....but yesterday sent me the redundancy letter from the company.
Long story short....the company directors say the 80% is not so clear cut for the future of the business......they are getting legal experts to look into it.... nightmare.

On the subject of SSP......the Republic of Ireland pays three times the amount than the UK.....says it all really
Stay safe Clay for yourself,your family and for others.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

It depends on the job you are doing being essential, not if the income from that job is essential to you.
The only reason it is impossible for you to keep social distance and maintain it is that you're not even trying,to be frank.Just keep away from people ,its not rocket science

·
Registered
14,796 Posts
I work for a company providing key services so employees, where possible, were sent home last week to work. Key departments that are office based were split up between buildings and the central canteens shut. In addition, those that need to stay, if possible, were moved around to take into social distancing. In addition, those who are classified as vulnerable were sent home for 12 weeks regardless of whether they could work or not.

My brother is a civil servant processing visas. They appear to have done little to protect employees and my brother lives with 3 vulnerable people. He’s gone to work on the train this morning. I wonder if the government will take the lead and close non-essential departments?
HMRC isn't closed. However, most of us have laptops so we can work from home quite easily. The difficulty lies with things like call centers which are quite busy as you might expect.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts

Can he not wfh?

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
HMRC isn't closed. However, most of us have laptops so we can work from home quite easily. The difficulty lies with things like call centers which are quite busy as you might expect.
We're trying to expand our existing contact center, reprioritising work to free up warm bodies - all wfh.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Yes, some areas of government will be incredibly busy at the moment looking at new payments etc and they may have fewer people available as some are self isolating and can’t work from home, however some areas aren’t essential. I’m not sure that we’ll be letting too many people into the country at the moment so why keep hundreds of people in the office without social distancing?

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
The government has stopped short of saying that all non-essential workers should stay at home/work from home.

This I believe is a mistake as many people are still required to work by their employers, even though the work isn't absolutely "Essential".

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
Clay....you might not believe me but I do sympathise....a friend of mine has just lost his job at a cruise line fitters....he was expecting the 80% Government payout.....but yesterday sent me the redundancy letter from the company.
Long story short....the company directors say the 80% is not so clear cut for the future of the business......they are getting legal experts to look into it.... nightmare.

On the subject of SSP......the Republic of Ireland pays three times the amount than the UK.....says it all really
Stay safe Clay for yourself,your family and for others.
A business that is closed is not viable even if the staff are paid 80% of their salary by the state. The staff will probably manage, but with no workers, there is no income for the company, nothing to pay other overheads with, like rent, insurance, maintaining premises. I don't know if all companies have been exempted from business rates this year, I think it is just those which employ less than 250 people perhaps. A huge proportion of companies haven't had a good year for years, a lot just get by and nothing more than that. Many operate out of an overdraft all year round.

If people can't go back to work before too long, a lot of people won't have work to go back to. If the state continues to print & hand out money to people, we will get inflation, and the only way to fight inflation is to raise interest rates which makes finance unaffordable, closes even more businesses, puts up the cost of housing. Stagflation, 70s style. Or they just let the inflation run wild, which would wipe away the value of everyone's debts but also everyone's savings. The government are taking a huge gamble here that their massive stimulus measures, historically unheard of, actually work and things go 'back to normal' before the inevitable inflation arrives. If they've got this wrong things are going to go bad quickly. As someone with a degree in economics, the situation we are in scares me more than the virus. Broken economies kill people too.

1 - 20 of 1633 Posts