Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 184 Posts

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Good luck Clay, both with wellness and with getting the payments that are due to you.
Sod off! Society works best when we all pay in - no differetiation.. And from that I mean, people who have all their earnings declared on the their tax returns!

Frankly, I do not believe anyone can reasonably sustain themselves, and a family of four on the kind of earnings that have been declared. Unless of course, there has been a lot of "Back - Pocket Payments".

We all know it goes on. It has already been suggested any income support should be based on last years Tax Declarations. So given the self employed will have done everything to avoid paying tax, something those on a PAYE cannot avoid, any monies paid out to them should be based on what they have paid in. Which would have been bugger all, if they had the chance.

At some point some Tw -T is going to ask for 80% of his car contract to be paid as well. We are trying to move the economy away from fossil fuels - not that we make any cars in any case - so now seems to be the right time to do so.

I don't see that transfering paperwork and handing over keys, amounts to meaningful employment. More to the point, I as a taxpayer, who will not be exempt during this period of uncertainty, do not see any good reason to sustain jobs that do not benefit society as a whole.

Better, they are unemployed, and on benefits, as opposed to giving them free money! - my money!

So, don't talk to me about, what people may or may not be due. To quote an Irish friend of years ago - "Unless you put in - you should not take out!"

Too many don't put in!!!!!

·
Registered
44,837 Posts
Sod off! Society works best when we all pay in - no differetiation.. And from that I mean, people who have all their earnings declared on the their tax returns!

Frankly, I do not believe anyone can reasonably sustain themselves, and a family of four on the kind of earnings that have been declared. Unless of course, there has been a lot of "Back - Pocket Payments".

We all know it goes on. It has already been suggested any income support should be based on last years Tax Declarations. So given the self employed will have done everything to avoid paying tax, something those on a PAYE cannot avoid, any monies paid out to them should be based on what they have paid in. Which would have been bugger all, if they had the chance.

At some point some Tw -T is going to ask for 80% of his car contract to be paid as well. We are trying to move the economy away from fossil fuels - not that we make any cars in any case - so now seems to be the right time to do so.

I don't see that transfering paperwork and handing over keys, amounts to meaningful employment. More to the point, I as a taxpayer, who will not be exempt during this period of uncertainty, do not see any good reason to sustain jobs that do not benefit society as a whole.

Better, they are unemployed, and on benefits, as opposed to giving them free money! - my money!

So, don't talk to me about, what people may or may not be due. To quote an Irish friend of years ago - "Unless you put in - you should not take out!"

Too many don't put in!!!!!
It's a safety net not your personal bank account. If you deliberately cut big holes in it to exclude or punish certain people you dont consider good enough or have not paid enough in then it's no longer a safety net. I genuinely dont care how much people have paid in, if they need help due to illness or unemployment I want to help them, that's the civilised thing to do. Everybody pays in to the pot in some form, whether its income tax, NI, VAT or fuel duty.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If they’re better off unemployed & on benefits then you’d be 100% in receipt of “free cash” from the taxpayer.
Cars also benefit society as a whole. Our pretty much entire GDP is based upon the sale of fuel. Fuel is what transports goods, and services world wide.
They said it was Henry Ford that extended people to the suburbs of America due to the enablement of travel thanks to the Model T.
Rather than America’s just living on the east coast.
I remember you saying to me that I should be better educated in order to achieve a better income from life. Not those exact words, yours was more brutal.

What do you say to a sociology graduate?

Can I have a Big Mac please.
There’s many of well educated people in low paid jobs............. Bwian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
It's a safety net not your personal bank account. If you deliberately cut big holes in it to exclude or punish certain people you dont consider good enough or have not paid enough in then it's no longer a safety net. I genuinely dont care how much people have paid in, if they need help due to illness or unemployment I want to help them, that's the civilised thing to do. Everybody pays in to the pot in some form, whether its income tax, NI, VAT or fuel duty.
The whole benefit system is based upon means tested methods. From 2010 they reformed the benefits system with public support based upon documentaries like “ Benefit Street “ They look now at your circumstances to judge how much you need to live on. Hence the masses of homelessness.
When I was denied ESA it was because they look at two methods of means testing for payments to be paid base upon NI contribution, or there’s income related based ESA.
I couldn’t claim any of Sizewell’s taxpayer money.
My wife earned more than £114.17p which at the time the law says you can both live off, no income related payments needed.
No NI contribution based upon me not needing legally to pay NI because of my low profits being class 2 at that period in time.

National insurance isn’t law it’s a Payment of
voluntary for those with profits below this level. (£5,965) at the time I was self employed. I’m not behind the door Brian even though I’m on £8.21 an hour

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
You know that is just not true. And it has nothing to do with liking or disliking anyone. Any monies paid out during this crisis, should be paid back.

And if a company cannot pay the kind of money that allows individuals to sustain themselves, without recourse to taxpayers support, then they are not gainfully employed. As for safety nets, it has for far too long been the norm for people to assume they can test the water and "try a Job", knowing they can go back to sponging.

I am not excusing Governments for making it easy for them. But there isn't a great deal of pride on view, from those who are willing to bleat on about "How Hard It Is".

If there is cause to blame anyone, it is parents who allow kids to free wheel at school, thinking society will take care of them. A lot should have had their nuts cut off before they could breed.

Safety net - currently, it will rely to a certain degree on what they take from mine, by way of tax. And I am beyond caring for basket cases, who have dined out on me and other taxpayers for decades.

They would have been entitled, had they not done so much "Black - Economy" work, which the tax man never gets to see.

As for unemployment benefits, It should be redeemed by increased N.I. contributions, by the time they come to retire. That way, they can be said to have earned their right to a pension.

I can give to a charity, as a one off. But it is no longer a charity, when I am compelled to pay, month in month out, year in, year out. If that were to be the case, it should be tax deductable.

However, my main gripe is, the number of so called "Self Employed", who fail to declare their true earnings. I bet a lot of the buggers will be saying they are losing 100k because of this crisis, but have made tax returns which are a little, if at all above the state pension.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
It’s my understanding the “ Furlough payment “ is a Government loan Sizewell, which a very well off company like mine owned by TDR Capital can certainly afford to payback. I believe they have 8 billion large

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
If they’re better off unemployed & on benefits then you’d be 100% in receipt of “free cash” from the taxpayer.
Cars also benefit society as a whole. Our pretty much entire GDP is based upon the sale of fuel. Fuel is what transports goods, and services world wide.
They said it was Henry Ford that extended people to the suburbs of America due to the enablement of travel thanks to the Model T.
Rather than America’s just living on the east coast.
I remember you saying to me that I should be better educated in order to achieve a better income from life. Not those exact words, yours was more brutal.

What do you say to a sociology graduate?

Can I have a Big Mac please.
There’s many of well educated people in low paid jobs............. Bwian.

What do you say to a sociology graduate? Not a lot! The best way to create employment for those who squander their education, is not to create "Non - Jobs". Sadly, it probably means putting them back into school with five year olds, although they will probably hold the five year olds back!

No one is in the Motor Industry, if all they do is exchange paperwork and hand over keys for second hand cars. They would be better off working in the canteen at Honda - that way it may have stayed open.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts

Then you pay my share! Been as it is all too easy to be charitable with other people's money. everyone should pay into the pot. But not everyone does. And a lot more take out than have put in - and it needs to stop!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Not even a new or used car dealer. They sell a car or van, Hand over keys & paper work ( log book, finance agreement ) Sizewell, please cheer up. You’ll die a bitter old man.
BCA is my stepping stone to a possible new career in the Motor Trade. I’m Not there for life. I do have ambition.
I do also love cars & working with them.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Not even a new or used car dealer. They sell a car or van, Hand over keys & paper work ( log book, finance agreement ) Sizewell, please cheer up. You’ll die a bitter old man.
BCA is my stepping stone to a possible new career in the Motor Trade. I’m Not there for life. I do have ambition.
I do also love cars & working with them.

I'm certainly not bitter. But neither am I ambivalent! Everyone should pay their own way. Then we will get along fine. If not, then at 73 years, I'm not simply going to grin and bear it. Wouldn't be so bad, if this second hand industry was selling British cars. But providing income support for someone selling Hyundai?

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
Easy way to solve all of this....pay everyone the national minimum wage....whether employed or self employed.
No! The Self Employed can dig into the money they hid from the Tax Man. That's if they didn't pee it against the wall, or spend it on foreign holidays in China.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Ideally you should shop once a week for food.

However the supermarkets are having to ration some essentials such as milk. Therefore shopping twice or three times a week will become the norm.
Made more complicated by Sainsburys not rationing by per person but group even if it is a pensioner couple or parents with children. So the single person/purchaser gets a better deal. Can see that leading to a lot more fiddling around and splitting the shopping across more than one till
This! Not blaming Sainsbury's - their response has been terrific - but it's a hopeless situation. We have four adults in one house, two on special diets, and some with health conditions which make it preferable that we do wash rather than infect them. Two soaps a week is not going to do us.

Eventually things will settle down and the online shopping will be available, but for the moment it's worrying to choose the most disposable family member to send, and knowing it'll have to be more than once a week.

Having said that, we've discussed what's essential and it's quite eye opening. e.g. I listed milk as essential, but two don't have it at all, so it isn't really. Tea, coffee, orange juice and apple juice are regular purchases but actually water is healthier than any of those.

·
Vendor
45,437 Posts
This! Not blaming Sainsbury's - their response has been terrific - but it's a hopeless situation. We have four adults in one house, two on special diets, and some with health conditions which make it preferable that we do wash rather than infect them. Two soaps a week is not going to do us.

Eventually things will settle down and the online shopping will be available, but for the moment it's worrying to choose the most disposable family member to send, and knowing it'll have to be more than once a week.

Having said that, we've discussed what's essential and it's quite eye opening. e.g. I listed milk as essential, but two don't have it at all, so it isn't really. Tea, coffee, orange juice and apple juice are regular purchases but actually water is healthier than any of those.
You have to do what is best for you. If you need more than Sainsburys will allow you to purchase, you'll have to go back in again for another shop and go through the till. These restrictions are just to stop stupid panic buyers, who (by and large) won't keep going in and out of the shop to buy more, they're probably just doing it on the spur of the moment and not through any specific need.

61 - 80 of 184 Posts