Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Don't feel bad about taking a test Fred, if any of us had those symptoms I'm sure we'd have done exactly the same. It's possible you had reasonably mild symptoms and your test will come back positive for Coronavirus, something like 88% of cases have mild or very mild symptoms. I've started taking a daily dose of vitamin D, some evidence to suggest it has protective qualities.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Without having been tested or hospitalised of course I cannot KNOW but I do "know" that I got it right at the beginning of the lockdown. The day after I recieved my letter warning me of my "vulnerable" status (maybe that was contaminated and I caught it from Boris).

Anyway my symptoms were: extreme difficulty in breathing and a persistent (occasionally productive) cough. This along with a (mostly) mild fever and unheard of degree of tiredness and fatigue. I was asleep or recumbent for 20 hours per day for the first two days that I was ill. Even climbing into a seated position was far beyond me. Over the ensuing days the symptoms gradually abated a little each day. By day ten I was staying awake for 12 hours a day and sitting upright for some of my waking hours. After a fortnight I thought I was getting back to normal - improving a little each day and this would be all over soon. But then in the 4th week whammy it hit me all over again and I had another week just like from the beginning.

The relapse didn't last as long as the first bout only about a week, but having read somewhere that most deaths occur in the 4th/5th weeks was a bit scary.

Well I believe I'm out of it now and another relapse seems less and less likely (to me at least), but I suppose we can never really know for sure.

I think I got the severe form of the disease - it certainly felt more severe to me than any other illness I've suffered. And I do have "underlying conditions". But difficult as breathing became I never required ventilation or intensive care. I think I survived (despite my vulnerable status) because of a combination of three things.

I have heart disease (stent fitted) and COPD (ex steelworking smoker) and these problems increasingly affected my fitness and mobility until a couple of years ago I bought myself a bicycle (a present to myself for my 68th birthday) to break out of my torpor. I have ridden that bike every day since then, sometimes maybe only for ten minutes but the improvement in my breathing, fitness and general well being is tremendous and is part one of my survival route.

Because of my conditions I suffer more than most would if I get seasonal colds or flu so in order to assist my immune response I have taken fish oil capsules daily for the last couple of years - part two of survival.

About three years ago a nurse at my GP practise told me I qualified for a Pneumonia Vaccination (or was it Innoculation) which I thought was a very good idea and accepted. So if the pneumonia associated with Covid 19 is also caused by Pneumonococcal bacteria then I'm protected from that - that is my third protector. And just may be the reason I didn't get to have a go on a ventilator and maybe get on telly.

It seems that "accidentally" I have prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Flew back from New York on the 10th March, via Heathrow and then onto MAN airport. Felt ropey in New York JFK and had chills and felt fatigued. Got home and felt rough for a couple of days but not end of the world pain, just a bit fuzzy and achey and woke up with sweats. Cleared quite quickly.
Hoping I had it and I’ve had my share but probably just a ‘bug’.

I’m asthmatic so naturally worried it will be curtains if I get it.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
So thursday morning I woke up feeling a bit under the weather. Nothing specific, just lethargic and a bit thick headed.

By thursday lunchtime I was wilting fast and I cancelled a couple of work calls in the afternoon so I could knock off early as my muscles ached and my head was throbbing. By early thursday evening I had a temperature (not very high - 37.6 - but I felt hot to touch).

Woke up yesterday morning feeling dreadful. Had slept fitfully overnight, temperature up and down and strong headache. No cough or cold symptoms but muscles aching and very fatigued.

I have key worker status, so I logged on for a coronavirus test slot. Every slot at my local testing station was available from 08.30 onwards so I booked a test for 11am. I decided to take a test as the symptom checker says EITHER temp OR a cough but not necessarily both.

Drove to the testing station feeling like death warmed up, sailed through (nobody else there and only 4 other cars in the vast acres of the car park of Chessington World of Adventures with about 100 volunteer staff manning it) and drove home.

My test result is due back tomorrow or Monday.

Spent rest of yesterday in bed, still with a fluctuating temperature and aches and from what I could discern (although I wonder how psychosomatic it was) some shortness of breath.

Now here's the odd part. Having slept now for the best part of 20 hours - I have awoken this morning as fresh as a daisy. No temp, no aches, no pains. Nada. Like it all never happened.

So I assume I just had a 48 hour bug (although since we've been in lockdown since early March and I have only left the house to shop once per week I have no idea from who/what). It could have been something I ate I suppose, but we've all had the same meals at home and only I had this out of the 5 of us here.

Anyway - I feel bad now that I used up a test slot because my "key work" is simply because I work for an organization that allows people to make payments so I'm the lowest of the low in terms of essential worker - but by the signs at the test location yesterday I didn't take anyone else's slot.

PS - The test operation is all very slick and contactless, but I felt it was quite flawed in that you do your own test in your car where nobody is watching you, but the instructions for swabbing your own throat/nostrils are littered with warnings that a poor attempt at swabbing will invalidate the result. Now I don't know about you - but I have no idea how hard or deep you need to swab your own tonsils while gagging, or how far up a nostril is sufficient - but I wouldn't trust my efforts much tbh. I think I had a decent attempt, but no idea if it was good enough for a test. I'm sure the medical people know what they are doing when they do their own swabs, but anyone else could make a right old balls of it.
Glad to hear you seem to be over it, whatever it was.
I'll be interested to hear the test result.
Like many others on here, I'm tempted to retrospectively attribute a flu and chest infection I had in mid Feb to covid....

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
So thursday morning I woke up feeling a bit under the weather. Nothing specific, just lethargic and a bit thick headed.

By thursday lunchtime I was wilting fast and I cancelled a couple of work calls in the afternoon so I could knock off early as my muscles ached and my head was throbbing. By early thursday evening I had a temperature (not very high - 37.6 - but I felt hot to touch).

Woke up yesterday morning feeling dreadful. Had slept fitfully overnight, temperature up and down and strong headache. No cough or cold symptoms but muscles aching and very fatigued.

I have key worker status, so I logged on for a coronavirus test slot. Every slot at my local testing station was available from 08.30 onwards so I booked a test for 11am. I decided to take a test as the symptom checker says EITHER temp OR a cough but not necessarily both.

Drove to the testing station feeling like death warmed up, sailed through (nobody else there and only 4 other cars in the vast acres of the car park of Chessington World of Adventures with about 100 volunteer staff manning it) and drove home.

My test result is due back tomorrow or Monday.

Spent rest of yesterday in bed, still with a fluctuating temperature and aches and from what I could discern (although I wonder how psychosomatic it was) some shortness of breath.

Now here's the odd part. Having slept now for the best part of 20 hours - I have awoken this morning as fresh as a daisy. No temp, no aches, no pains. Nada. Like it all never happened.

So I assume I just had a 48 hour bug (although since we've been in lockdown since early March and I have only left the house to shop once per week I have no idea from who/what). It could have been something I ate I suppose, but we've all had the same meals at home and only I had this out of the 5 of us here.

Anyway - I feel bad now that I used up a test slot because my "key work" is simply because I work for an organization that allows people to make payments so I'm the lowest of the low in terms of essential worker - but by the signs at the test location yesterday I didn't take anyone else's slot.

PS - The test operation is all very slick and contactless, but I felt it was quite flawed in that you do your own test in your car where nobody is watching you, but the instructions for swabbing your own throat/nostrils are littered with warnings that a poor attempt at swabbing will invalidate the result. Now I don't know about you - but I have no idea how hard or deep you need to swab your own tonsils while gagging, or how far up a nostril is sufficient - but I wouldn't trust my efforts much tbh. I think I had a decent attempt, but no idea if it was good enough for a test. I'm sure the medical people know what they are doing when they do their own swabs, but anyone else could make a right old balls of it.
I was speaking to a mate who described the same thing. 48 hrs feeling like absolute s*** then woke up feeling fit and well!.

He said it was so weird that he had no remnants of the symptoms by the 3rd day. This was weeks ago and he's had no reoccurances.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Thankfully - My test result came back as negative for Coronavirus.

It took exactly 74 hours and 46 minutes to get that result back from the time of the actual test. I was advised it would between 48 hrs and 5 days.

Two things:

• While we are expecting non medical people to swab their own throats thoroughly without any monitoring/oversight of the process I would say we have a pretty high chance of 20% of those tests giving incorrect negative results
  • While it is taking 72+ hours to get hold of results, there is no possibility to use this testing model for track & trace of individuals without symptoms as they will have interacted with loads of people in the interim
Anyway - I feel well again and I believe my negative result is correct. My only remaining concern is how the hell did I pick up a 48 hour bug when I haven't mixed with anyone outside my wife & kids in the last 9 weeks? (and when I have been out for my twice weekly 1 hour shops I have strictly observed social distancing rules and washed my hands so much they think I've retrained as a surgeon!)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Glad all is well fred.

Have had much the same thoughts about feeling ill when in lockdown. I only go to the supermarket every 7-10 days, with occasional trips to the village bakery. 2m spacing outside in the Q then only 2 people inside.

I wear gloves when I get out of the car and take them off when I get back in the car. I have antiseptic wipes and gel which I use regularly and wipe the car down after use. There's only me in the house or cars, yet I seem to have spells of feeling rough. I put it down to lack of fresh air/activity during the day. I'm working from home so stuck in the kitchen for 8 hrs or so. I do walk around but need the windows and doors open. My 30 minute bike ride every couple of days seems to blow away the stuffiness.

Keep well.

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
I have a bit of a sore throat going on at the moment, along with the bits of phlegm in the morning.

I too haven't been anywhere to catch anything I don't think, unless my Mrs has carried back something from her work.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts