Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just seem to wonder, everybody says that they brake all the time. had mine less than a week but bought mine with a couple of problems but the latest one is the slave cylinder. once iv fixed them im hoping there wont be no more probs for a while, or is that a bit of a long shot??

C

·
0 Posts
Had my GTV less than a week and power windows had to be fixed, breaks now grinding, aeriel not working and sunroof is sticking, but when I drive it I forget about all those things

R

·
0 Posts
It's a reputation that the brand has had for a long time and it still holds good in many cases. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
The main reason is; when your Ford Focus breaks down, you think, '****, I'll need to take this to a garage'.
When your Alfa breaks down you think 'NO!!! My baby! Why!??!' and therefor create a lot more fuss.

What I'm trying to say is, perhaps they don't have any more problems than other car brands, it's just that their owners care a lot more. Certinaly, I know my Spider is a lot more than nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not actualy talkin abt mine, just when i have spoke to people and said that i have an alfa its like oooooooooooo n they do there best plumber impression wen hes thinking of a price, i bought mine with a couple of probs, the tappets need doing the clutch slave cylinder needs doing also front discs and stuck ariel, but its a lovley car to drive, hoping to fix the probs by next weekend.

·
Registered
38,297 Posts
im not actualy talkin abt mine, just when i have spoke to people and said that i have an alfa its like oooooooooooo n they do there best plumber impression wen hes thinking of a price, i bought mine with a couple of probs, the tappets need doing the clutch slave cylinder needs doing also front discs and stuck ariel, but its a lovley car to drive, hoping to fix the probs by next weekend.
The tappets can't be adjusted... They are hydrualic.

Alfa's are generally just as reliable as any other europen make, as long as they are looked after. They are more reliable than Citroen, peugeot, Fiat and Mercedes if you believe things like the Top gear survey.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
and here was me going to answer that they 'brake' a lot b/c it's impossible not to drive them quickly:lol: ;)

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
Seems that the misconceptions still continue. Have owned about eight Alfas in the years from 76 to date and have had no more problems than I would have expected from cars of similar ages and general condition.

I still have friends who say things like 'Is it still going then ' and ' Keeping up with the rust. ' :mad:

It has to be said though that repairs costs when needed are perhaps higher than run of the mill cars. I would not take mine to anywhere other than a good indie for even the simplest of repairs, even new exhausts, so you really have to pay the price requested, not a lot of choice. However I'm happy with this 'cos you know that a place like this is not going to create even more problems as some of the bodgers that are still around in local non franchised garages.

·
Registered
38,297 Posts
The thing is people still think of italian cars as rusty because of the 1970's rust issues.

The fact is that all makes of car suffered from rust at that time as rustproofing technology was not as good as it is now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the past 12 years I have owned 2 BMWs (3 series and 5 series) and an Alfa 166. The 3 series was OK but the 5 series is a disaster. No problems at all with the 166. I am going back to an Alfa and have ordered a 159. Alfa quality may have been an issue a long time ago but today its a myth.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Alfa started galvanising their cars in the mid to late nineties afaik, so the comments about rust problems are just stereotypical and not neccessarily true.

As for general reliability Alfa's do have their quirks and weak points but if you compare that to most other makes, probably not worse and if anything better.

R

·
0 Posts
Because in the compromise between price, durability, looks, economy and performance, Alfas are designed primarily for looks and performance. They are just not made as well as some cars, but better than some others.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yeah, they're not great for build quality, but who cares?

If you want the most reliable car then opt for something Japanese, but expect a certain amount of sterility with most of their offerings. As you should with many of the German cars, which although are of a better build than the Italian cars, do feel somewhat boring, well they do to me anyway.

Alfa is by no means the worst for build quality; the French have a habit of finishing bottom of every public car survey known to man, with unreliability and shocking build quality; the American cars doing no better.

Loose bits and slightly iffy electrics aside, good maintenance is key to keeping the Alfa in good condition. And looked after - maybe more so than would be needed with other makes - it'll reward the owner with something many others cannot provide....

...character and soul. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"The tappets can't be adjusted... They are hydrualic"

i am replacing them not adjusting them cheers anyway,..... so its quite an interesting thread really they dont go wrong all the time they are just a little higher priced than your average car for bits. i have yet to find out about my car gonna do the repairs next saturday and then see what happens, i love it tho!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi, I aways think that an alfa constructed by toyota should be a dream come true, but the real true is that toyota will never be capable ofdesign something closer to an alfa, because the japs doesn´t have that sense of beauty and design, and never an alfa will be so reliable like a toyota because the alfa owners like to talk about their beast and they believe on friendship and relationship with the machine.I have a toyota celica gt, and its really incredible about reliability, it has actually 100000 km, is 10 years old and i have changed just the time belt, struts, and made regular oil changes every 5000 km, and tyres once; but there is no compare with the feel and satisfaction that i receive every time i drive my alfa (10 years old and 80000 km on it h).Eventhoug the celica is a great car, it doesn´t makes you feel different and above others.Thats my personal opinion, of course.:) .Alfa´s are for different and brave people who likes beauty, sportiness, and of course DOLCE VITA.:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts