Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had my GTV long and have a bad habit of changing cars quickly! At some point later this year I feel I may need something a bit more practical with slightly better economy!! Am not thinking of changing yet (as the daily ritual of unfreezing my locks is no longer necessary I am enjoying her a lot at the moment), but I like to do my research as it takes me ages to deicde.!

My question is what is the 156 like? I know little about them, but having had a quick look at the specs the 2litre JTS Veloce looks like a good mix of performance/economy!

Would be interested in the views of all, especially somebody who has both (or had both at various points)!

Cheers

J

·
0 Posts
I have had a GTV, Spider and 156

The 156 has the turning circle of the GTV, and that means the responsiveness as well, given that it is a family saloon it does handle well and with far more comfort than a GTV.

Common engine issues are similar to a GTV of you are looking at getting a twin spark powered 156, the wishbones sometimes give issues as do certain bushes on the back suspension.

The driving position in some ways is nicer than the GTV, more relaxed, but the dash layout is similar and that's what makes jumping from a 916 car to a 156 so easy.

I could easily get 35 mpg on a run with my 156 2.0 selespeed and about 25 mpg around town as well....

There does seem to be issues with floorpans on the 156, they seem to be prone to rust so that's one are worth looking at when buying

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I have a GTV and a 156! I recommend the 2.4 JTD 10v, it's a fantastic mix of performance and practicality :)

·
Registered
38,873 Posts
I have had 3 156's

Two of them were 2.5's with the sportpack and one was a 2.0TS with Sportpack.

All great cars, but the 2.0TS was the best all rounder. It handled better then the 2.5, was better on fuel but wasn't a massive amount slower.
(didn't sound as nice though)

The 2.0JTS isn't as good as the TS. They are generally less powerful (most have far less than the quoted 165bhp) and they are less reliable.

As for handling there isn't much difference between a 2.0 GTV and a 2.0 156 (with sport/veloce pack). However the 156 V6 handles much worse than a 3.0 GTV

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Sorry to say this but avoid the JTS. There were dreadful problems with this engine soon after release, fueling issues leading to massive carbon deposits in the head leading to reduced power etc. As Symon suggests far more unreliable than the earlier TS engine, which is a far far better engine full stop!

If the money can stretch go for a diesel, all of them are good, give you lots of mid-range torque and excellent fuel economy. But the TS is right up there as I say, but then I would say that, owning both a TS Spider and a JTD 16v 156:lol:

K

·
0 Posts
I had a 156 2.0TS as a loaner while the Spider was in the shop.

Its a svelte beast and lighter than the Spider - consequently faster too. I think it's lighter than a GTV too isn't it?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've had both. I don't think the turning circle is the same on them both. I remember the GTV being a pain to parallel park compared to the 156. Both of mine were 2.0's. I loved them both.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha...I had to do a 3 point turn earlier today, which turned into a 5 point turn!

Thanks for the advice. I constantly change my mind....wait for a thread from me starting "What's a GTV spider like to own...." But seriously, I think I will change sometime this year, but would definitely like to stay Alfa now!!

·
Registered
890 Posts
156 good practically stunning gets boring after a while

gtv great impractical stunning never gets boring so much fun and has so much caracter

·
Registered
798 Posts
The GTV V6 definitely has a larger turning circle than the 156. I've never had to do a 3 point 'turn' to get out of my garage in the 156, and it's longer!

I have had both and the GTV V6 feels heavier in the corners, but in comparison the GTVs suspension is f*cked. The 156 suspension was in better condition so I have to fix up my suspension before making judgement calls. I can't wait to fix up this misfire issue so I can have fun in my car every time I drive it! It fixed itself this morning and W O W it was awesome. The 156 has it in practicality but to me, this has only affected me in that I had to find somewhere else for my phone..

I want to know why the GTV is heavier than the 156. It is a smaller car! I wish the GTV V6 weighed as much as the TS 156 or less. It would be a serious ball tearer then! Lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recommend the 2.4 JTD 10v, it's a fantastic mix of performance and practicality

I second that! swaped the first gtv for a 156 2.4 jtd sportwagon, you easily get twice the economy in the 156 but I regreted selling the GTV so now have both!

The Torque in any of the 2.4s is fantastic low to midrange nothing will touch it. As a comparison we had 1.9tdi A4 s-line at work, it had massive turbo lag leaving you dead in the middle of the road and would get really out of shape on uneven roads bit c**p really!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I swapped my 156 2.4 JTD (chiptuned, 165 hp and 360nm torque) for a 3.0 GTV and in the beginning I really missed the boost and torque. The JTD is a great driving machine, but a bit nose heavy like the GTV.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a gtv and a 156,my sister drives the 156 and i cant get her out of it.bills for the gtv in the past year £900.for the 156,£000.the 156 is really comfortable and more practical without losing the sportyness.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am looking at a 156 Sportwagon, I need a bigger car because of the impending birth of my child! But I won't be getting rid of the GTV.

So thanks for starting this thread Harbuzi, should answer a few questions I have.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Interesting thread, as I am also looking at possibly moving to something more practical.

I currently have a GTV 2.0 JTS, and looking at either a GT or 156 (159 if I can afford it), with a diesel. The GT seems to have a decent sized boot compared with the GTV, but the 4 doors would probably be best if possible.

I am surprised that for a similar age and mileage, the 159 is more expensive than the GT. I would prefer a 159 compared to a 156, but was it a great leap forward?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I drove my GTV earlier and am now convinced that practicality and economy are not important!! :)

Flooring it in second gear...the noise...the power. Immense!!

But, with my sensible head on, I may look to change later in the year so thanks for the replies so far!!!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I am surprised that for a similar age and mileage, the 159 is more expensive than the GT. I would prefer a 159 compared to a 156, but was it a great leap forward?
The 159 was an all new package with build quality light years ahead of the GT and 156, the fact the GT is still selling is testament to it's fantastic styling.

I would prefer the 159 over the 156 for looks and build quality, but the diesels aren't as good for economy because of the weight.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts