Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a new car / used car from a dealer or garage - do you expect them to have filled it with fuel or would you take it with just enough to get to the nearest petrol station?

·
Registered
38,886 Posts
Depends if you paid over the odds for the car. :lol:

My GTV had just under 1/4 tank when I picked it up.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,532 Posts
both my GTVs had next to no fuel in them, although the V6 was delivered to me instead of me picking it up

i bought a brand new Clio in 2003 and that came with a full tank though :)

·
Registered
37,903 Posts
Quarter tank and your lucky. The six had a quarter tank and a fuel flap that wouldn't open - had to drive back to the Stealers to get it open! :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
When I picked up the MiTo it was full and when I picked up the 147 it was full, and thats as it should be :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
New car must be full IIRC. Used car should have some in it.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,695 Posts
when i bought my C172 (from Trade Sales - you don't expect the best in customer service) it had just enough fuel in it to run out of before getting to the petrol station.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
any new/used car i've ever bought has never had much petrol in it, literally enough to get me to the nearest petrol station, which to be honest if you're buying new you should expect a full tank of petrol.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Last year I bought 3 new fiat scudo's. (From an approved Alfa dealer). When we picked them up there was just vapour in the tanks. I told the salesman that it was out of order and he eventually agreed and put £20 of juice in them. Wooooo, ar'nt I lucky?

A few months later, I bought my used spider from an independent dealer and it came with a nearly full tank!

I know which dealer I will and won't use again in the future!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I negotiated a full tank of gas in the deal on my forthcoming used 159. Didn't get much else mind (but the price was a fair one).

·
Registered
735 Posts
running on reserve. but thats quite usual in used-cars, as any car that i test drove before buying 147, was on yellow blinks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've heard somewhere that it's law to only keep small amounts of fuel in the vehicles kept on a forecourt. Something to do with the insurance policy they have.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've heard somewhere that it's law to only keep small amounts of fuel in the vehicles kept on a forecourt. Something to do with the insurance policy they have.
Maybe, but as a show of good service and good will they ought to fill them up before we take delivery!

J

·
0 Posts
by the time i finish with the dealers they take the oil fuel and water out of them :D

I have a tendency to negotiate a price ;)

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
leaving a small amount of fuel in a car on the forecourt is a bit silly, the less fuel in he tank the more likely it is to go off.

My Spider was bought privately and it had about 50miles in the tank, which was plenty as we wanted to see how much the tank would cost to fill. (Too much, even three years ago)

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
When I picked up my new Alfa, it was completely empty, the fuel gauge hardly moved. The closest petrol station was 200m from the dealer, going downhill so no problem even with no fuel at all, but one would expect better service...

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
My 147 ran out of fuel on the test drive, just as we parked up outside the dealers. He insisted he would put half a tank in when i bought it. When i collected it it went for 5 miles before the reserve light came on :s

·
Registered
798 Posts
Got my GTV with a bit under 1/4. Traded my 156 about 50km of driving on the yellow light. They can fill my car to have people test drive it :D When buying my first 156, the (Alfa Romeo used car) salesman threw in a full tank of fuel without me having to even ask.

A

·
0 Posts
Its certainly true that a full tank of fuel is the least likely to explode as there is no air, but on the other hand, if a forecourt were well alight the ruptured fuel lines from a full tank would keep the glow going for an awful lot longer. You pays yer money.

Many used car dealers drain fuel tanks, they make lots on it, but when buying its as well to specify a full tank as part of the deal, but then we don't always remember when we are excited about a shiny new/newish car do we. New cars should come full, even if you've paid in the price. Its just bad form isn't it.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had to negotiate a full tank. I was offered a set of car mats but didn't like them so said fill her up instead and we have a deal!

I wouldn't expect a full tank. Its more of a goodwill gesture IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts