Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The All New Chat Thread, What Are You Listening To, and Welsh People, threads have been canned and a new Part II Version created.

Were these monsters getting too big?

Will the change help the current speed/server problems?

It was only yesterday I observed that there were no locked threads in the first two pages of my sub'd threads.....now the first couple have been padlocked!

There's probably more that I've not posted in/subscribed to.

Here's hoping the clean-up benefits all:thumbs:

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
On reading the title, I thought you'd been busy being OTT Chubby Brown - esque again. Milo! :tut: :lol:

I personally think the slowness is due to the increased advertising on here but could be other reasons also.

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On reading the title, I thought you'd been busy being OTT Chubby Brown - esque again. Milo! :tut: :lol:
How very dare you! The very thought of any rudeness or vulagrity (except for those Meet A Horny Housewife in Lancaster County pop-up ads) on AO doesn't bear thinking about.:p

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I don't know for sure, but it's something we had to do before when the server slowed down and we have discussed doing it again. I'm assuming Admin are locking larger threads in an effort to speed thing up.

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
It didn't before. We had to get a new server.
I can't believe it will have any impact either. However there is a well know technique in IT of distracting people by getting them to do something totally pointless in order that they beggar off for a while and leave to fiddle with whatever it was you were doing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I can't believe it will have any impact either. However there is a well know technique in IT of distracting people by getting them to do something totally pointless in order that they beggar off for a while and leave to fiddle with whatever it was you were doing :rolleyes:
It was me - would you rather I did nothing in an attempt to help with the slow speeds? PS - I don't work in IT.

I don't know if it will make any difference but it costs nothing, only took half an hour and doesn't really make any difference to the threads.

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
I'm not criticising you Andy, and if you are happy to try it then more power to your elbow. But I do appreciate there is a long tradition of everyone else chipping in and telling you what you should do/try to get it working when you are up against it. Hence my earlier comment. ;)

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
Good idea, anyone over, oooohhh, let's say, 600 posts this month? :p
Have I got that many already :confused:

It was me - would you rather I did nothing in an attempt to help with the slow speeds? PS - I don't work in IT.

I don't know if it will make any difference but it costs nothing, only took half an hour and doesn't really make any difference to the threads.
Grouch :p

I was only saying last night how I felt sorry for you taking a load of stick and getting told nowt by owners :tut: ;) :D

·
Administrator
87,039 Posts

I appreciate you making the effort Andy, thanks for taking the time :thumbs:

While I didn't expect it to resolve the Database Errors problem ( just had one at 21:21 ) the overall speed of AO hasn't been as much of a problem since I've been on at 6pm.

Also I've noticed that replying in some of the replacement clone threads eg TANCT (II) also takes much less time than previously ( I'm referring to pre the recent slow down) so the effort was worth it for that alone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts