Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many of the 166 regulars buying <strike>tractors</strike> sorry I mean <strike>tight fisted oil burners</strike> OOPS... :D

Anyway I was wondering what cars we all fancy other than the 166?

Mine are

Real world:

Spider S1-4

Alfa Romeo : ALFA ROMEO SPIDER SERIES 4

I really know naff all about them I call them "Real spiders" I've alway loved these cars since childhood. (Know offense to 916 owners (unless is got a diesel AGA under the bonnet ;) )

BMW 750Il ONLY

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/491821.htm

its got the engine form the Maclaren F1 a TV, Fax machine and a proper telephone. And that one is looking very tempting.

Fantasy (or at least a few years until I'm rich and they have deprecated!)

Mazerati 3200GT

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/545033.htm

Simply everything I want in a car rolled into one!

TVR Cerbera 4.5

TVR : Mint 4.5 with warranty till November

weights 1 ton, 420BHP, 0-60 = 3.9 Seconds I don't need to say any more!

So what are the cars that cause your imagination to run away with you?

If anyone posts another F"£"$"@ diesel I'll shoot them :D

Cheers

Stuart

·
Registered
908 Posts
My biggest fear about my 166 is that i will find it irreplaceable:cry: To this day i cant understand why alfa never gave us the 2.4 jtd in the 166:confused:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:rant: What did I say about the D word!?!

I think your right the only way to replace the 166 is with lots of Gadgets or/and power.

The only car in my list that I think would have the "magic" of the 166 is the 3200GT.

I'm young and I love my 166 I want to keep it and have it written in to my will to have me buried in it.

However the other half of me wants to crack on and drive and exsprince new cars.

Yer but no but yer but no! :D

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
My biggest fear about my 166 is that i will find it irreplaceable:cry: To this day i cant understand why alfa never gave us the 2.4 jtd in the 166:confused:
Im kinda have this issue as well!

But the JTD im sorry but it wouldnt be a proper 166 i dont think!......166 its a true man cars!

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Nice choice of cars Stu - They have all tempted me bUT I have this thing about only buying Italian cars!

When I was considering the Brera 3.2 my wife said what about the Maserati you wanted - She meant the 3200GT which although probably afordable is a big step up on Alfa on servicing and maintenance so I did not look. Imagine that - I was basically given the nod and ended up being sensible and buying a DDDDDDDD...........

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice choice of cars Stu - They have all tempted me bUT I have this thing about only buying Italian cars!

When I was considering the Brera 3.2 my wife said what about the Maserati you wanted - She meant the 3200GT which although probably afordable is a big step up on Alfa on servicing and maintenance so I did not look. Imaine that - I was basically given the nod and ended up being sensible and buying a DDDDDDDD...........
WHAT!

you only buy Italian cars. You had a chance of a Ferrari V8!

So you bought a F***ing D******! I don't believe it!

P.S. I can see what you mean they can be mind bogglingly expensive buy they are the holy grail to me. But I would have fooled myself long eoungh to take a couple for a test drive!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm currently doing 25,000 miles a year in mine and can't think of anything to replace it with at the moment. If I was doing a more reasonable mileage I could actually be tempted by a Fiat Panda 100HP!

Cheers

Philip

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Well thats easy for me, the 156! and I'm glad I did 'cos I am really enjoying it. The wife prefers it to the 166! I wouldn't go that far, but I don't miss the old girl.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, you know what has tempted me... I've only ever been interested in BMW and Alfas when it comes to "sensible" cars, but my biggest love is Maseratis and Jensen InterceptorFF. But like Dougie says, buying a Maserati is the cheapest thing, maintaining one is almost Ferrari-expensive.

My biggest problem is that I get attached to these "objects" that cars are. I always keep them for a long time. My 164 I had for 5 years, my BMW 528 for 7 years and at last the best of them all my 166 which I have had for only 1 year: I've decided that I need to try out my dream cars before I get to old! The dream cars list is long and if I keep my cars for an average of 5 years there is no time to tick them all off. And new ones keep popping up all the time! :lol:

Luckily for my wallet, most of my dream cars have to ripe for about 10 years before they get really intersting. That gives the proper time to fantasize about them and get buried into my subconscious.. :lol:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
real world, Saab 9-5 estate, possibly a Saab 9-3. Not keen on the German offerings apart from an NSU Ro80, which are sub zero IMO.

More exotic, Maser quattroporte, old shape, something about that car that is wrong, yet so very right. I know its supposed to be crap, but it has character by the bucket loads. Might have to put in a diesel engine though :LOL:

·
Registered
667 Posts
My current list of replacements for the Alfa as I could do with going to an estate next is an Audi RS4 or S4 or an E55/C36 AMG Merc. If I don't go for an estate it will be either a 3.2 166, a Toyota Aristo Mk2, BMW M5 (ducks), Audi S8 or Masser Quattroporte Evo though I don't think I'd dare keep that long, all cars pre Mar 2001 but as new as possible for obvious reasons & preferably running on gas before I buy it, though the right car at the right price I'd bite the bullet & pay to convert it myself.
But I won't be changing hopefully for another 2.5 to 3 years though

H

·
0 Posts
My Alfa replacement is going to be very slow, with a tenth of the power, and it'll only have 2 wheels.

But after I've ridden that for a little while, I'll be getting something altogether more impressive

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Quattroporte................

A Real Mob Boss kind of car....

p.s. she still makes 213Kw...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Lovely :)

·
AO Member, 166/164 Lounge Winner 09
820 Posts
A 166 Ti, a Maserati GT-S or Quattroporte.

Wouldn't give up the 166 for anything else.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Fantasy (or at least a few years until I'm rich and they have deprecated!) Mazerati 3200GT
Stu, they already have depreciated...massively! If you're gonna wait until they are £5K, they'll be complete dogs and you'll still have horrendous bills :lol:

The 3200 has one of the best engine notes of all time. Bit of a bummer when you have to shell out over £3K for a cambelt change, though :lol:

1 - 20 of 152 Posts