Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long drive out looking for a new car for my better half we came home across our little speed bumps in the street and BOOM! rear spring platform collapsed. So pleased it was outside the house doing 5 mph and not on the motorway at 70 ish.

Be careful people
Luckily i had some brand new suspension sitting waiting to go on, i just wasnt quick enough before the failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
After a long drive out looking for a new car for my better half we came home across our little speed bumps in the street and BOOM! rear spring platform collapsed. So pleased it was outside the house doing 5 mph and not on the motorway at 70 ish.

Be careful people
Luckily i had some brand new suspension sitting waiting to go on, i just wasnt quick enough before the failure

I've come across many issues with 156 ,GT and 147 with rust problems in alfaowner. I always wondered why. In Greece there isn't a single rusty car. As I was looking for a small car I went to a friend's car selling yard in a nearby town. There I found a very nice hyundai getz from Italy. In my question about its quality, my friend told me that he always brought cars from Italy because as in Greece they don't spread salt on the roads (for the snow). If it happens in your country the only solution is to wash the car very often.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Agreed. I've seen old beat up alfa suds, fiat 126 etc etc in athens, piraeus and aigina. Still in use despite obviously not being looked after very well. In Aigina, being right next to the sea , still has no discernable side effects!
I've heard that in places like Poland, Russia etc, the rust issue is still less than in the UK. When it snows there, they move the snow and they fit snow chains!
The weather here is too unpredictable to have any of that infrastructure in place as 11 months of the year it would lie dormant. How many times has it snowed heavy then 3 days later, it's clear!?
Driving on a gritted motorway/A road at 50mph sprays salt in places on a car that no amount of washing will reach(save lifting it up on a ramp and jet washing every 2-3 days in the wintermonths)

It is what it is I'm afraid.
Glad the suspension caved at such low speeds. Lucky you 👍

·
Registered
80 Posts
The thing in many countries with cold climate and winter is that you don't really have many opportunities to care for the car in winter, as most of the time, starting december, it is freezing day and night. So if you don't have access to indoor area where you can wash the car, it stays dirty. I remember last 2-3 winters, there were maybe 2 days from december to february with a chance. Also, the ammount of salt they use is unreal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder why this is not picked up at M.O.T time?

I was given an advisory on the springs being rusty and thats all. Which is why i decided to renew those and the struts while i was in there.
Didnt bank on doing it on a sunday tho
But all fresh and ready for the commute to work in the morning

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I think the spring perches corrode mainly at the welds and never seem to look very bad right up until it falls apart.

I do detest the amount of salt thrown on the roads on winter but I guess it is a way to keep the inept, bad drivers on the roads which is why there are more appallingly bad drivers on Britains roads than anywhere else.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Also had this on our 156 1.8TS. The spring dug a groove in the tyre though. These things can't last long, it wasn't even the original Alfa one that had failed, but a replacement. Oh, and this year the MOT has become very strict about rusty springs and split CV joint gaiters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts