Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you are all ready for an ace weekend. Since cleaning me Door card the other week I am planning on getting on with some more pressing matters this time round (well as much as I can do with no money and between the Liverpool game and hitting the bright lights)

Job 1: ABS Sensor, had the intermittant failiure of the system inc the VDC since I purchased the beauty a week ago, thanks to this site's advice I got me a MultiMeter yesterday and managed to isolate the dodgy cable to the front driver side. Seeing as it is intermittent, I am hoping that this is just a bit of muck or maybe the cable has been rubbing on something.

Job 2: Outside Temp reading -45 consantly!! now knowing that the sensor is on the underside of the passenger wing mirror....aaaaanndd that mirrors electrics happen not to work as well, I am again hoping this may be a dodgy connection somewhere?

Anyway, I shall let you know how I get on at the beggining of next week, and if I feel it may be useful to others that join the fantastic world of owning and Alfa, I will post some photos and sequences of what I did to isolate said problems.....that said I am already talking as if I actually know what I am doing (simply not the case!! haha)

Have a good one guys and gals!!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Hope you are all ready for an ace weekend. Since cleaning me Door card the other week I am planning on getting on with some more pressing matters this time round (well as much as I can do with no money and between the Liverpool game and hitting the bright lights)

Job 1: ABS Sensor, had the intermittant failiure of the system inc the VDC since I purchased the beauty a week ago, thanks to this site's advice I got me a MultiMeter yesterday and managed to isolate the dodgy cable to the front driver side. Seeing as it is intermittent, I am hoping that this is just a bit of muck or maybe the cable has been rubbing on something.

Job 2: Outside Temp reading -45 consantly!! now knowing that the sensor is on the underside of the passenger wing mirror....aaaaanndd that mirrors electrics happen not to work as well, I am again hoping this may be a dodgy connection somewhere?

Anyway, I shall let you know how I get on at the beggining of next week, and if I feel it may be useful to others that join the fantastic world of owning and Alfa, I will post some photos and sequences of what I did to isolate said problems.....that said I am already talking as if I actually know what I am doing (simply not the case!! haha)

Have a good one guys and gals!!
Abs sensor could just be a low battery. Quite often throws up failures when battery is almost shot. Check with a multimeter over the battery. Check both connectors where the join by the bulkhead/strut top (yellow round connetor. sometimes black) FOr the mirror prize off carefully the plastic triangle at the top doorcard on the inside. (back of mirror mount) You'll see three screws holding the mirror to the door(not the three torques on the underside of the mirror on the outside).You can see a white connector in the top of the doorcard whole. check this first. If not undo the mirror and check along its wires inside the mirror mount:thumbs:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abs sensor could just be a low battery. Quite often throws up failures when battery is almost shot. Check with a multimeter over the battery. Check both connectors where the join by the bulkhead/strut top (yellow round connetor. sometimes black) FOr the mirror prize off carefully the plastic triangle at the top doorcard on the inside. (back of mirror mount) You'll see three screws holding the mirror to the door(not the three torques on the underside of the mirror on the outside).You can see a white connector in the top of the doorcard whole. check this first. If not undo the mirror and check along its wires inside the mirror mount:thumbs:
Cheers for that Joss, you obviously took note of my "not really knowing what I am doing" comment, haha, it was inserted for this very reason!!

I did run the multimeter over the connectors near the struts, one was a reading of about 998, the other nothing there at all, so assume it is this, but I had noticed people mentioning the battery, so may as well run a check on that as well, I assume I am just checking the voltage on it?? Sorry if I sound ignorant.

And thanks for the mirror advice, I would have probably ended up removing a lot more stuff than I needed!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manga / Anime?

P.S, what Manga/ Anime is the Avataar from or just something you came across??

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Cheers for that Joss, you obviously took note of my "not really knowing what I am doing" comment, haha, it was inserted for this very reason!!

I did run the multimeter over the connectors near the struts, one was a reading of about 998, the other nothing there at all, so assume it is this, but I had noticed people mentioning the battery, so may as well run a check on that as well, I assume I am just checking the voltage on it?? Sorry if I sound ignorant.

And thanks for the mirror advice, I would have probably ended up removing a lot more stuff than I needed!!
No worries. Yes just check the voltage :lol: 12+v when off and 13+ ish when car is on although as you have said there is a discrepancy on the MM on the ABS connectors. Just have a look with the wheel off and see if the cable hasn't come dislodged and been eaten buy the drivshaft or something. (it does happen.) The one reading nothing is the one at fault I believe. They are a pain to change BTW. :( They break off when trying to remove from the upright. It is a right old faff

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries. Yes just check the voltage :lol: 12+v when off and 13+ ish when car is on although as you have said there is a discrepancy on the MM on the ABS connectors. Just have a look with the wheel off and see if the cable hasn't come dislodged and been eaten buy the drivshaft or something. (it does happen.) The one reading nothing is the one at fault I believe. They are a pain to change BTW. :( They break off when trying to remove from the upright. It is a right old faff
I believe so, they tend to break, I got a few hundred quid of the price of the car because the previous owner had been told it was a garage job and both needed doing so was looking at about £300!! Well even if it is K'Od I have found a new one for £67 and will be able to do myself, even if it is a ball ache and I have to drill the old one out.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
They are sided BTW. Make sure you get the right side :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Result!!

They are sided BTW. Make sure you get the right side :)
I noticed, I was gonna double check that with them before placing the order, but like I mentioned, it is intermittent so as you say it may just be caked up or being chewed by the shaft.

Well I just took of me little triangle from inside the mirror, and lo and behold, the connector had come loose, managed to get it back together with a click and hey presto, temp reading right and mirror now working!! Looks like work has been done on it, as one of the bolts is missing and plastic triangle had been loosely glued in place. JOB 1..............DONE!!!!!

Now for the fun tomorrow!! Cheers again Joss, I was gonna be taking off the whole door trim for no real reason!! haha

I will have beer on your behalf this evening!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Abs Sensor still a mystery!!

Well I got meself up bright and breezy sat morning, and got me wheel off to check this sensor. There is nothing untoward with it, not rubbing on anything and looks neat enough. Expecting that it is the sensor itself, and the bolt being rather stiff, I have sprayed some penetrating oil on it, thinking that by the time I get around to replacing it, I might be able to manage to get bolt out. Well everything was plonked back on, and low and behold it has been working fine ever since??? Very bizzare, and not sure whether it was simply me knocking the spanner with a hammer, or spraying this oil on that has done it. Odd that the sensor was showing as faulty when I tested with a Multimeter, I would have thought it would read fine if it was simply some muck gunking it up??
Any who, a successful weekend all round, topped off by a fantastic night out in the bright lights of Lancaster! Whoop!
Well it is time for it's service next month, I wonder what that will throw up!!
:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Good to hear you got the mirror fixed. Easy and free too! :cool: I'll have a beer too when I get home :D Take your time with that sensor. I'd keep doing it with the penatrating fluid for a week or so. It doesn't matter if you break the sensor off as you can get it out with a punch with some fiddling. Just don't break the bolt off or it gets really involved :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to hear you got the mirror fixed. Easy and free too! :cool: I'll have a beer too when I get home :D Take your time with that sensor. I'd keep doing it with the penatrating fluid for a week or so. It doesn't matter if you break the sensor off as you can get it out with a punch with some fiddling. Just don't break the bolt off or it gets really involved :)
Well I won't be doing it till the end of the month any way, and who knows, it might have sorted itself out, but will take the advice and keep on with the oil, I can see it being a bloody nightmare if I ruin that bolt!!
Cheers (or "PROST" as one of my Austrian friends would say!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts