Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just been troubleshooting my incredibly poor radio reception - in an area where signal quality is never usually a problem.

Having read this thread I went looking for my antenna amplifier - to discover there isn't one - see pics below of the rear three quarter panel, driver's side.

I assume the loose wire from the top of the window is the aerial feed itself - plugged into... well, nothing at all.

It looks like this eBay item is the amplifier in question, and would fit neatly onto the two empty studs in the left hand photo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...557085?hash=item2a541917dd:g:6AEAAOSwBahU22Jy

And annoyingly, if there was once an amplifier there, whoever has removed it has done so by cutting the coax cable that runs up to the ICS (as per the right hand picture).

So, a couple of questions:

Firstly, did all 166s have this radio antenna amplifier (mine's an '03 pre-facelift 3.0 auto)?

Secondly, if so, is the eBay item the one I need?

thanks all,

Jeremy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
All the 166 range should have that amp.

I have a good spare one of those if you are struggling. Came out of a '99 Super and was working fine. I also have the loom that connects to it I think as well as the aerial cable.

That EBAY item looks right, although mine isn't red. :)

£25 delivered if it appeals. PM me.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, thanks to davfc I now have a working aerial amp. In fact with the addition of a Loudlink unit I'm now spoilt for choice when it comes to ICE options.

However, a question: whilst FM radio reception works perfectly, AM is almost non-existent. Anyone have the same issue with their ICS?

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Don't think I've tried an AM station for about 30 years......

...you'll be asking about the cassette player next... :D

Good result though - well done for persevering with it. A loudlink is a good option for these I think. There are other ways for the more modern types with iThings, but keeping the stock integration suits me personally.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't think I've tried an AM station for about 30 years......

...you'll be asking about the cassette player next... :D
Ha!

I was looking for Radio Five Live... I'm pretty sure that's the ONLY station left broadcasting on MW, right???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts