Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am again :) I wonder if pomeo's still around?

I'm so tempted by this:
Alfa romeo 166 2008 | Trade Me

This would be my fourth 166 and the second facelift version... and it's so rare and difficult to find, with my favourite wheels...

But it's always such an awkward compromise between 'sports' and 'comfort' with that stretched 156 platform... and only four speeds in the auto transmission is hardly sufficient, let alone competitive with other cars from this era... and there will be the leaking heater core. Of course. It'll wreck the auto ECU and suddenly there'll be seventeen hundred kilos of dead metal stuck in the driveway.

And then there'll be the rear door lock motors with just not quite enough power to unlock. The stereo will need that DSP upgrade and I'd need some dodgy box of tricks to emulate a CD changer and fail to read an SD card. And the front tyres will be chewed out on the inside edge. And the wheels will be curbed. The massive turning circle won't fit within the mall carpark ramp and the seat will be so comfortable, I won't want to get out. It will be a thirsty drive with nowhere to put a drink, and the rubber pipe under the bonnet will split, giving rise to a popping and banging noise. And don't forget the cooling system with the brown oily residue, and look at those chrome pipes...

Oh - I seem to have placed the leading bid :eek:

-Alex

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you win?
No!
Crisis averted as although I was leading the bidding at $7101 for a frightful minute or two (having raised the bidding from $6100), there was then a final bid of $7151 by the other guy. It was quite a relief to know that I would still be able to get in and out of my garage this week, without something large stuck on the driveway outside ;)

I don't want to lose our 500 but might replace it with something more mid-sized to go with my Gtv and my partner's Stilo.

-Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts