Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Have bought a 99 P2 V6 last week. Now have a list of things to do on it - thankfully it was cheap!

It has a variety of jobs to be done on it - firstly the temperature doesn't seem to be that high on the gauge. Looks like it previously had a new radiator and gaskets from overheating - is it likely a new thermostat wasn't fitted?

Windows are horribly out of line - prev owner has shown me how to shut them by using the top of the window - can't help feeling this might have been what caused them to be pushed out of line originally!

The previous owner has suffered problems with the engine management light coming on at low speeds. She had an oxygen sensor fitted just before I bought her but the problem remains. Symptoms are that when stopped (or moving slowly) the light often comes and, on occasion, appears to rob all power from the car when pulling away. The interweb suggests MAF or crank sensor... :rolleyes:

Needs a new bumper - more a long term aim so will be keeping an eye out for a Proteo red car being broken!

Am I going to be poor by the end of the month? :confused:

Was intending to take it to Roberts Aerospace as they are the nearest to me (am between Winchester and Southampton).

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Congrates and welcome mate. Thermostat is very common, new rad wont mean the stat was changed.

Get the fault code read, thats the easyiest way to pinpoint the engine light problem.

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO.....:)....my temp gauge rarely gets over 70 except in heavy traffic, it seems to be normal having read many threads on the subject. Stats have been changed but made no difference.....:)

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO.....:)....my temp gauge rarely gets over 70 except in heavy traffic, it seems to be normal having read many threads on the subject. Stats have been changed but made no difference.....:)
Hang on. Thats NOT normal. Something is wrong. It may just be a duff guage, but something is not working correctly. Stats have a high rate of failure and that is usually the problem, it won't always be as there are so many other items that can fail, but it's worth starting there.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I know from experience that on a 156 a duff thermostat can make the engine management light come on - so fix the thermostat before touching anything else!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for all the replies guys, I will let you know what gets done.

Be polite to introduce myself whilst I'm here. I'm Mike and I've previously had, among others, a mark 1 MX5, Impreza Sport and most recently an E36 328i AC Schnitzer.. Somehow I've gone from buying a sensible hatchback to getting an Alfa project - much to my wife's delight :tut:

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
Cheers for all the replies guys, I will let you know what gets done.

Be polite to introduce myself whilst I'm here. I'm Mike and I've previously had, among others, a mark 1 MX5, Impreza Sport and most recently an E36 328i AC Schnitzer.. Somehow I've gone from buying a sensible hatchback to getting an Alfa project - much to my wife's delight :tut:
Hi Mike, yes you will be poor soon, smiling though:lol:

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Hang on. Thats NOT normal.
Calm down Mitch166, when I said normal it was in reference to the threads that I have read, meaning it was a common occurence......;) :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just on the thermostat issue - previouslt my GTV would always get up to 90 eventually but took a bit longer than I would have thought necessary. Anyway a new stat now gets the engine up to temperature way quicker. By the time I get to work I'm actually not shivering any more! Basically, as Mitch said, 90 is the right temp, but the time it takes to get there is also a consideration.
Cheers

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Calm down Mitch166, when I said normal it was in reference to the threads that I have read, meaning it was a common occurence......;) :)
I assure you I am calm, just don't want a newbie to ownership to think 70' is right - 'cos it's not :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sense that nothing is going to be quite "normal" with this car but I'm sure that I'll get used to its quirks. :thumbs:

Off topic - my similar age BMW was equally "characterful" when it came to electrics, bodywork, etc ;) but I couldn't ever really love it. However I'm already v pleased with my Alfa despite it stopping on me at traffic lights and whistling at me through misaligned windows! Think I was spoilt by the Subaru which seemed to be made from granite (but sadly as attractive as a lump of granite too!).

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome radform. I've recently picked up a bargain GTV, and I'm in the process of swapping my thermostat for the reasons you quote. Not a big job, although you'll curse the rubbish standard hose clips which took a while to get off. I've just got to tighten the new proper ones I've bought, and top up the coolant and then I hope to strike one job of the list. There's nothing really major, a lot of small things.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts