Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed a current (and annoying) trend to start every sentence with the word 'so'?
I first spotted it in an interview on Radio 4 with a financial expert, now I'm noticing it more and more and think I might be catching it too!:lol:

So (aghh!) what do you think?

Other previous and still current examples of words overused to no practical purpose I've noticed are 'basically' 'obviously' these two particularly by tele-sales folk, along with referring to me as 'yourself' instead of you!:rant:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
So, gentlemen we will attack at first sparrow fart 04.00 hrs., maintaining the element of surprise and crush these word insurgents with massive force!:mad: Sunray Leader over and out.:thumbs:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ah SO young grasshopper! you finally realise that the wordsmiths are taking over the world!

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Don't talk to me about buzzwords - I work in education. Every now and again they throw another latest word or phrase "out there" for us to get used to before they change it again :rolleyes:

Acronyms are my personal beef. I remember sitting in the first day of my post-graduate course and the tutor was prattling on about higios :confused: It took me all of his lecture to work out that he was referring to the How Good is Our School document, I'd never heard it referred to as higios :tut: I felt belittled :(

N

·
0 Posts
Try working for a US company.
You can't avoid hearing them.
Whole sentences of TLAs. :rolleyes:

Ah yes R4 this morning: the Yank promoting 3D "technology" :lol:

·
Registered
818 Posts
The use of "Literally" has become very annoying, especially on radio. And it's either a dead, unnecessary word "I literally got out of bed this morning..." or used completely incorrectly. "Oh I literally died when I heard the news..."

STOP IT! :mad:

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
We had a electricity sales guy come to the door the other week.
I started playing Buzzword bingo as he prattled on before I interrupted him.
When I said to him he was flogging a dead horse when I got to 10 buzzwords before he'd even found out if I had a dual-fuel account his response was
"I just say it as I'm told to in the sales manual"

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Isn't 'so' at the start of sentences a German thing?

I work with loads of Germans and they all say it (in English and Deutsch)

So at the end is an Irish thing, so it is.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
"Blue sky thinking"
"Customer Centric"
"Low hanging fruit" use this in my presence and I'll kick your low hanging fruit just see if I don't.
"Turnkey Solution"

And "Workshop" to quote Alexei Sayle if any one uses the word 'workshop' and is not referring to elements of light engineering then **** **

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
"Low hanging fruit" use this in my presence and I'll kick your low hanging fruit just see if I don't.
"Guilty your honour" :lol:

I suspect I'd be picking my "low hanging fruit" out of my chest with a pair of tweezers given how much I've used it recently ;)

I'll attempt to amend my language, even though I'm swimming against a relentless tide of TLAs.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Look...,going forward, we need to focus on the issues that are
are consensual to our business...

So, let us just re-process and re-prioritise our procedures and processes such that
the outcome is a win win situation.

M

·
0 Posts
Ahh, that makes sense. (well, the first bit does... what the hell is dense fog thinking? :lol: )

M

·
0 Posts
The opposite of "blue skies thinking": the kind of thinking at grasps at the obvious and lacks imagination, usually producing the simplest and most effective solution.

And yes, this expression is my very own and brand new contribution to the mangling of the (now US-driven but once beautifully rich) English language.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts